armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Private First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to airbornerangerson
Default kimber.45

have any of you shot a kimber .45?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Brigadier General

My son shot his buddy's when he was in 3rd Ranger Batt. He said it was probably the best (and most expensive) handgun made. He personally likes his Glock 23 & 19 & my 22 &23. Not the best handguns in the world but the price is right & you drop them in a tub of mud, shake them off a little & commence firing. With Glocks you have to make sure you have the updated magazines with the metal insert. Otherwise the plastic can swell & you have the possibility to get a stovepipe due to a misfeed.

For a few years when I wanted my own firearm to use on the job I shied away from them because of the plastic magazines but when I found out why they made them that way I reconsidered. Drop a plastic magazine & it retains its shape. Drop a metal one & you get some nice dents.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 05-25-2009 at 04:54 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
My son shot his buddy's when he was in 3rd Ranger Batt. He said it was probably the best (and most expensive) handgun made. He personally like his Glock 23 & 19 & my 22 &23. Not the besy handguns in the world but the price is right & you drop them in a tub of mud, shake them off a little & commence firing. With Glocks you have to make sure you have the updated magazines with the metal insert. Otherwise the plastic can swell & you have the possibility to get a stovepipe due to a misfeed.

For a few years when I wanted my own firearm to use on the job I shied away from them because of the plastic magazines but when I found out why they made them that way I reconsidered. Drop a plastic magazine & it retains its shape. Drop a metal one & you get some nice dents.
I've shot my buddy's Glock and I really liked it. The trigger wasn't too heavy and not too light either. I've never shot a Kimber though. Aren't these what SF guys carry?
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
I've shot my buddy's Glock and I really liked it. The trigger wasn't too heavy and not too light either. I've never shot a Kimber though. Aren't these what SF guys carry?
Probably but most of them are pretty quiet about their weaponry. (I know the Rangers want to get rid of the Berreta 9MM & go back to the .45 cal.) Lets face it - in a combat situation when you have to pull out your handgun it's time to say "oh schit". Better than throwing rocks, though & a .45 is better than a 9MM especially with an extended magazine.

The Milwaukee PD uses Glock 22s but I had heard form a friend on the department that they'll be changing over to Smith & Wesson M&Ps soon, another fine handgun. As the Glocks are aging & need replacement they must have gotten the M&P contract. The off-duty weapon has to be of the same manufacture as the duty piece but it can be .45 instead of .40 but no smaller than a .40 cal.
Retired MSG

Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Probably but most of them are pretty quiet about their weaponry. (I know the Rangers want to get rid of the Berreta 9MM & go back toi the .45 cal. Lets face it - in a combat situation when you have to pull out your handgun it's time to say "oh schit". Better than throwing rocks, though.
Yeah, when it comes to a situation where you're using your sidearm...you don't want something that will kill them eventually...you want something that will kill them NOW!

Wasn't the main reason the military went to the 1911 because of the larger caliber? I think it was in Korea or somewhere our guys were complaining because the 9MM rounds were passing right through the enemy, only slowing them down, which resulted in a lot of problems. So they opted for the larger .45, which would do more damage.
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Brigadier General

It was in the Philippines in I think the early 1900s (at least before 1911). The .38 cal wouldn't stop the Moro tribesmen. Oh they'd die but not before taking someone with them. When the got hit by a .45 they stayed hit. Shoot someone in tha arm with one & the whole arm flies off.

The Moros would bind their bodies, something like a tourniquet before the fact. They wouldn't bleed out so fast as various parts of their body was isolated.

I liked my issue .45 when I was in the Navy. I had a good friend who I went to UDT school with & he was a Gunner's Mate. He found me a real tight 1911A1 & did a good job accurizing t for me. I made quite a bit of money shooting against other guys. Their piece of crap, old, worn 1911A against mine. Of course I didn't tell them what I had & one 1911 looks pretty much like any other.
Retired MSG

Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM
First Lieutenant

Yeah, that was it the Phillipines. Thanks for the brush up on the history.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

My dad and I each own a Kimber. Best 1911 on the market hands down. Wilson Combat is more expensive, but I'd put my life in God's choice of round fired from that frame.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Shoot someone in tha arm with one & the whole arm flies off.

The Moros would bind their bodies, something like a tourniquet before the fact. They wouldn't bleed out so fast as various parts of their body was isolated.
Good on the history, Top! I have to call BS about the .45 taking off limbs, though - just not enough kinetic energy for that, although it's a story that's been repeated for years. If that were really the case, people would have a fit about police carrying that round! Especially in the case of military FMJ ball ammo, all the .45 is goin to do is overpenetrate.

Now the .50 BMG is a shredder - I've read sniper AARs that detail bodies literally torn in half by a hit from that round - but then, that's a HUGE amount of energy. For comparison, a .45 ACP round pushing a 230 gr FMJ bullet at 860 FPS develops 352 ft-lbs. of energy at the muzzle, while a .50 BMG round pushhing a 655 gr FMJ at 3,029 FPS develops just ove 13 thousand ft-lbs.

I've also read of the Vietnamese using the trick of binding their arms and legs in the assault and for last stand defense during our 'police action' there. Not only would this staunch blood loss, but tied tightly, would minimize the pain of wounds. In addition, both groups would use various drugs before battle for similar effects - and we've seen some of the same in Iraq with suicide bombers.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Brigadier General

I stand corrected on the " blowing limbs off" folklore.

When I first went into the Navy I started off in Submarines. About once a week when we were surfaced we'd break out the weaponry, M-1s, carbines, BARs 1911s, & Thompsons. When the messcooks would dump garbage & the sharks came around we'd take target practice (not exactly PC. what?). When they got hit by a .45 round out of the Tommy gun there'd be a half inch hole going in & a good 6" whole going out. Sometimes even more, a lot more. Big old flap of sharkskin.
Retired MSG