armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #671  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:44 AM
hollisrae's Avatar
hollisrae hollisrae is offline
Command Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BFE, OK
Posts: 335
Send a message via MSN to hollisrae Send a message via Yahoo to hollisrae
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
he is *supposed* to leave korea on june 1st (arriving here in the states on..heh..june 1st--time zone differences, gotta love them) and would have to leave the states june 23rd to make sure he is back in korea and back on base on time. but like i said, no one can tell him if he gets to leave when he was approved to leave or not.
ok so if he is supposed to leave base on the 1st then it will be prob the 3rd or 4th before he is actually stateside. he SHOULD be able to leave then. but there are no promises. noone will be able to tell you for sure untill heis actually on his way. be patient! and just be happy that he is actually getting to come home. like i said the rest will work itself out. and how long it takes for him to get into the states will be a good judge of how long it will take for him to get back....
Reply With Quote

  #672  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 AM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
Thanks, i've had the basic psychology and psychology of personality lessons, history of all sorts of movements to promote equality and to demolish stereotypes, everything. just b/c others won't follow suit that doesn't mean you can't try and do what you think is right--like i don't think the stereotypes should continue, and my "primal urge" is to prevent stereotypes from being allowed to continue to exist. i ask why others allow themselves to go along with out-dated stereotypes just because many will continue to.
The only way to abolish stereotypes would be to make every person equal. To the extent of thinking the same, looking the same, acting the same, and so on.

So, basically what you want is Nazi Germany. Are you a Nazi?

Whats funny to me is how everyone sees a stereotype as this derogatory thing. Thats where perception comes in...just because someone acts stereotypically doesn't mean its a bad thing or that they are doing wrong. As a matter of fact they are acting just as they should.

What we really need to abolish is the ignorance that forces people into thinking their way is better than someone elses. We don't need to rid the world of different cultures and traditions, we need to teach the world to accept that there are many different ones and no which way is better than the other.
__________________
Johnny B
Ship Date: 20090610
MOS: 25N - Nodal Network Systems Op./Maintainer
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu
Reply With Quote

  #673  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Armygirl4Ever's Avatar
Armygirl4Ever Armygirl4Ever is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home is Where You Hang Your Dog Tags!
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisrae View Post
ok so if he is supposed to leave base on the 1st then it will be prob the 3rd or 4th before he is actually stateside. he SHOULD be able to leave then. but there are no promises. noone will be able to tell you for sure untill heis actually on his way. be patient! and just be happy that he is actually getting to come home. like i said the rest will work itself out. and how long it takes for him to get into the states will be a good judge of how long it will take for him to get back....
Actually he would arrive the same day he left because when you leave Korea you gain a day and when you go back you lose a day because of the time difference.

Does he have his leave form signed and approved? His leave form should be at his S1 office, he can go in there to find out if it has been signed and approved, if it has, he can buy his ticket to come home. He would want to make sure his return time got him home by midnight on the 25th of June Korea time.
__________________
Armygirl4ever,
Proudly Serving in the Silent (okay, maybe not always so silent) Ranks

Reply With Quote

  #674  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Soldier gf Soldier gf is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
The only way to abolish stereotypes would be to make every person equal. To the extent of thinking the same, looking the same, acting the same, and so on.

So, basically what you want is Nazi Germany. Are you a Nazi?

Whats funny to me is how everyone sees a stereotype as this derogatory thing. Thats where perception comes in...just because someone acts stereotypically doesn't mean its a bad thing or that they are doing wrong. As a matter of fact they are acting just as they should.

What we really need to abolish is the ignorance that forces people into thinking their way is better than someone elses. We don't need to rid the world of different cultures and traditions, we need to teach the world to accept that there are many different ones and no which way is better than the other.
Stereotypes originated from ignorance--people making assumptions about others based on one thing or another. I could have the stereotype that all Marines are @$$ holes--my first bf was a marine and he was an @$$, his friends were marines, and they were @$$es too. But i don't stereotype--I don't assume that all marines are @$$es, just the ones i have met. A lot of stereotypes are negative, or people see them as a derogatory thing because in most cases, they are. I've encountered people who have asked me what my grades in school were like, and if I was "more fun in bed" because i am blond--i resented being blond b/c of all the negative stereotypes associated with being blond. And you are right--we need to teach the world to accept the differences, and to not make assumptions about people.
Reply With Quote

  #675  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Soldier gf Soldier gf is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Actually he would arrive the same day he left because when you leave Korea you gain a day and when you go back you lose a day because of the time difference.

Exactly. Korea is 13 hours ahead of NC so he will (hopefully) leave on the 1st, and arrive here on the 1st. COOL! lol

Does he have his leave form signed and approved? His leave form should be at his S1 office, he can go in there to find out if it has been signed and approved, if it has, he can buy his ticket to come home. He would want to make sure his return time got him home by midnight on the 25th of June Korea time.
Yes! Everything is all set EXCEPT for the fact that no one can tell him if he is guaranteed to go home June 1st or not. They won't let him buy a ticket b/c there are other guys who were approved for leave for June 1st before him who need to buy their tickets (which really bugs me b/c my soldier had to resubmit his leave forms earlier since his sergeant lost the first set of forms! if the original forms hadn't been lost, he wouldn't be having these problems with waiting b/c he was one of the first to originally submit his leave forms! argh!). It's all crazy and annoying! Why couldn't they just not approve his request for leave June 1st, and tell him, "listen, we already have a ton of guys going home June 1st. We probably can't get you on that list for June 1st. Lets change your requested leave dates to (whenever the first person is set to come home) and if something opens up, we'll change it for you." and approve the leave for the other date?
Reply With Quote

  #676  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
missinhim's Avatar
missinhim missinhim is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
lol...missinhim, you just HAD to post at 11:11 didn't you? omg, i have been pretty much stalked by that number (11) since the beginning of football season last year! it is really just a joke btw me and my best friend....she has a crush on the #11 player for Wake Forest....and the number started showing up everywhere for her. well i made fun of her b/c hey, what are best friends for right? well, i started seeing that number everywhere too after a while...."new email messages=11; wake up at a random stupid time in the morning=3:11am" little things like that, but they always have the #11. so, thanks for that! lol
haha. it was actually 10:11 here haha. but i know! i have that same thing with the number 28! its freaky! doesn't show up as much as it used to when i had a job. but i swear it was everywhere! so fromtaco johns i stole(not really) a table number 28 and its in my car now! everyone asks why i have it. its sooo funny!
Reply With Quote

  #677  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
missinhim's Avatar
missinhim missinhim is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisrae View Post
oh wow, i miss one day and i have 2 hours of reading to catch up on!! LOL
k, first... I MISS HARDEES!!!!! I could so go for some curly fries right now!!
second... white castle is mostly in the midwest. like Ohio is COVERED with them. If you are really jonesing for a slider, you can go to walmart or kroger and pick up a box of them in the frozen food section. just microwave and enjoy the aftermath!! LMAO!
third.... when the hell did this thread get all philosophical?? I think that we should all do our parts to try to abolish steryotypes. if i had adhered to them, i would not be with my soldier right now. and soldiergf, it's a good thing you aren't against southerners cause then you wouldn't like me! LOL I'm in Oklahoma, and yes, i have the southern drawl.... *shakes head* i know sad.....
ok, now i think i am cought up! LMAO and i already knew about lauren pasing her test!! it's not my fault i'm special, that's just how i roll! HAHAHAHA but still congrats again babydoll!!
HA! hollis! she just texted me lol lol lol. like right when i read your part bout her! hahaha
Reply With Quote

  #678  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
Stereotypes originated from ignorance--people making assumptions about others based on one thing or another. I could have the stereotype that all Marines are @$$ holes--my first bf was a marine and he was an @$$, his friends were marines, and they were @$$es too. But i don't stereotype--I don't assume that all marines are @$$es, just the ones i have met. A lot of stereotypes are negative, or people see them as a derogatory thing because in most cases, they are. I've encountered people who have asked me what my grades in school were like, and if I was "more fun in bed" because i am blond--i resented being blond b/c of all the negative stereotypes associated with being blond. And you are right--we need to teach the world to accept the differences, and to not make assumptions about people.
Stereotypes are generalizations based on observations that hold true for the vast majority. So, you could say that most Marines are a$$h0les because I'm willing to be most of them are...to an extent, they are trained to believe they are the best and this can sometimes make them come off as a$$es.

Blondes being dumb and more fun in bed is a stereotype simply because the same can hold true for a brunette or redhead, so no matter who you say it to, it holds true...blondes just got stuck with it because of Kelly Bundy on Married With Children
__________________
Johnny B
Ship Date: 20090610
MOS: 25N - Nodal Network Systems Op./Maintainer
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu
Reply With Quote

  #679  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Soldier gf Soldier gf is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
Stereotypes are generalizations based on observations that hold true for the vast majority. So, you could say that most Marines are a$$h0les because I'm willing to be most of them are...to an extent, they are trained to believe they are the best and this can sometimes make them come off as a$$es.

Blondes being dumb and more fun in bed is a stereotype simply because the same can hold true for a brunette or redhead, so no matter who you say it to, it holds true...blondes just got stuck with it because of Kelly Bundy on Married With Children
Exactly! Why do people make generalizations about others before getting to know them? And you are continuing a stereotype! "So, you could say that most Marines are a$$h0les because I'm willing to be most of them are..." you don't know them...idk how many marines you know, but you are okay with just going along with what i have experienced and you are assuming that i am right about all marines. THAT is the problem with stereotypes! people are too lazy to make their own original opinions about people, and they just go along with what someone things about a whole group of people!
Reply With Quote

  #680  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 AM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
Exactly! Why do people make generalizations about others before getting to know them? And you are continuing a stereotype! "So, you could say that most Marines are a$$h0les because I'm willing to be most of them are..." you don't know them...idk how many marines you know, but you are okay with just going along with what i have experienced and you are assuming that i am right about all marines. THAT is the problem with stereotypes! people are too lazy to make their own original opinions about people, and they just go along with what someone things about a whole group of people!
I know a **** ton of Marines. And to an extent..they are all a$$es. So, take that!
__________________
Johnny B
Ship Date: 20090610
MOS: 25N - Nodal Network Systems Op./Maintainer
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.