armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Politics
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Nilrem Nilrem is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 13
Default Obama wants Soldiers to pay for own medical bills

I dont mean just their medical bills for minor illnesses (which they shouldnt need to do anyway). He wants them to pay their own medical bills for injuries sustained in battle:

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20090316/pl_usnw/the_american_legion_strongly_opposed_to_president_ s_plan_to_charge_wounded_heroes_for_treatment[/url]



Im not joining the army until this is shot down and rejected. I recommend the same for everyone else.


A typical heart attack costs several hundred thousand dollars....what's the going rate on shrapnel removal again?
__________________
Friends are merely people who make life bearable. Enemies make life interesting.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 03-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Shocking!!....
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 03-18-2009, 08:31 AM
reconmedik's Avatar
reconmedik reconmedik is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 187
Default Healthcare nightmare

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. This topic is raising holy hell on Military.com. Soldiers have always had to pay for their healthcare with the VA, to include service connected issues. When I joined the Army in 1983 I was told by my drill's and others that we had made a good decision on joining. That we had "free" healthcare for life. When I left active duty in 1990, at my ETS briefing the VA rep told us to not come to the VA for anything!! He said that the new policy (in 1990) was that the VA would only see us if we were service connected(injured on active duty). In 2003, on a whim I went to the local VA and filed for benefits and discovered that I was eligible for care. I am now 100% service connected disabled(from Iraq) and go to the VA for the majority of my care. The VA bills my private insurance company for the care I get there. The only thing the VA didnt bill my insurance for was the surgeries I needed to fix combat damage and Tricare paid for that. The current policy at the VA is that IF you have private insurance then they will bill your insurance co. They will not bill for combat wounds (IE:shrapnel removal) IF you do not have private insurance and you are there for a non-service connected issue then you will have to pay. The VA has had this policy for a long time and this is nothing new.

This policy that they have now is not unlike every hospital in the nation. For those of you that thought you had "free" healthcare for life then you have been mislead. When I enlisted in 1983 that was the case. At that time the policy was Honorable service equals free healthcare. During the Reagan years that changed. The policy will continue to evolve as the VA and the nation continues to recieve their warriors home from afar. I am sure that the VA like other hospitals has a policy in place for those that are not insured. I told the local director for the VA here that I will start paying for my healthcare when the illegal aliens start paying for theirs!!!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 AM
reconmedik's Avatar
reconmedik reconmedik is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 187
Default P.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Everyone needs to take a chill pill. This topic is raising holy hell on Military.com. Soldiers have always had to pay for their healthcare with the VA, to include service connected issues. When I joined the Army in 1983 I was told by my drill's and others that we had made a good decision on joining. That we had "free" healthcare for life. When I left active duty in 1990, at my ETS briefing the VA rep told us to not come to the VA for anything!! He said that the new policy (in 1990) was that the VA would only see us if we were service connected(injured on active duty). In 2003, on a whim I went to the local VA and filed for benefits and discovered that I was eligible for care. I am now 100% service connected disabled(from Iraq) and go to the VA for the majority of my care. The VA bills my private insurance company for the care I get there. The only thing the VA didnt bill my insurance for was the surgeries I needed to fix combat damage and Tricare paid for that. The current policy at the VA is that IF you have private insurance then they will bill your insurance co. They will not bill for combat wounds (IE:shrapnel removal) IF you do not have private insurance and you are there for a non-service connected issue then you will have to pay. The VA has had this policy for a long time and this is nothing new.

This policy that they have now is not unlike every hospital in the nation. For those of you that thought you had "free" healthcare for life then you have been mislead. When I enlisted in 1983 that was the case. At that time the policy was Honorable service equals free healthcare. During the Reagan years that changed. The policy will continue to evolve as the VA and the nation continues to recieve their warriors home from afar. I am sure that the VA like other hospitals has a policy in place for those that are not insured. I told the local director for the VA here that I will start paying for my healthcare when the illegal aliens start paying for theirs!!!
By the way, I didnt vote for OMAMA and I aint trying to cover for him. I am just stating the facts as they are now.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

That's good to know, Doc. I've never had to go to the VA for anything & now I have Tricare. Haven't had to use that, either. I pay $460 a year for coverage for my wife me. When I'm eligible for Medicare I'll have Tricare For Life. That'll also cover my prescriptions, too & all I have to have is Medicare Part B. Part D is not necessary.

I have no service connected disabilities. A few permanent scars but nothing else.

Don't worry about joining the Army & not be medically covered. IF private health insurance like this is proposed there are Veterans groups already arming themselves for battle. That's a constituency that the present administration does not want to go against. There's safety in numbers & man! do we have them. If something like that was passed, veterans would never vote for a democrat again.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Everyone needs to take a chill pill. This topic is raising holy hell on Military.com. Soldiers have always had to pay for their healthcare with the VA, to include service connected issues. When I joined the Army in 1983 I was told by my drill's and others that we had made a good decision on joining. That we had "free" healthcare for life. When I left active duty in 1990, at my ETS briefing the VA rep told us to not come to the VA for anything!! He said that the new policy (in 1990) was that the VA would only see us if we were service connected(injured on active duty). In 2003, on a whim I went to the local VA and filed for benefits and discovered that I was eligible for care. I am now 100% service connected disabled(from Iraq) and go to the VA for the majority of my care. The VA bills my private insurance company for the care I get there. The only thing the VA didnt bill my insurance for was the surgeries I needed to fix combat damage and Tricare paid for that. The current policy at the VA is that IF you have private insurance then they will bill your insurance co. They will not bill for combat wounds (IE:shrapnel removal) IF you do not have private insurance and you are there for a non-service connected issue then you will have to pay. The VA has had this policy for a long time and this is nothing new.

This policy that they have now is not unlike every hospital in the nation. For those of you that thought you had "free" healthcare for life then you have been mislead. When I enlisted in 1983 that was the case. At that time the policy was Honorable service equals free healthcare. During the Reagan years that changed. The policy will continue to evolve as the VA and the nation continues to recieve their warriors home from afar. I am sure that the VA like other hospitals has a policy in place for those that are not insured. I told the local director for the VA here that I will start paying for my healthcare when the illegal aliens start paying for theirs!!!

Thats a very different story Reconmedik, and thanks for setting the record straight...
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 AM
MichaelDN MichaelDN is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Taken from the FOX online news that was posted yesterday:

President Obama, after an uproar by veterans groups, has scrapped a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 03-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDN View Post
Taken from the FOX online news that was posted yesterday:

President Obama, after an uproar by veterans groups, has scrapped a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service.
Great news... also good to see that the President is listening to the people.... and reconciling it to what makes sense before deciding a course of action even if some may say theres a smigen of egg on his face... that has to be a win win for the future.....
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM
torspo[fin]'s Avatar
torspo[fin] torspo[fin] is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Great news... also good to see that the President is listening to the people.... and reconciling it to what makes sense before deciding a course of action even if some may say theres a smigen of egg on his face... that has to be a win win for the future.....
[URL="http://www.sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2008-11-16.gif"]heheh... (bit offtopic)[/URL]
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Great news... also good to see that the President is listening to the people.... and reconciling it to what makes sense before deciding a course of action even if some may say theres a smigen of egg on his face... that has to be a win win for the future.....
Yeah. He's a real sweetheart. Don't worry all of you liberals. Obama will find a way to screw the military like Clinton did & Carter before him.

At least now we know exactly where he stands & we can be forewarned.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.