armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Recruit

Exclamation ROTC Scholarship[questions, etc.]

My name is Claire, and I'm in my Sophomore year of high school and my 2nd year in AJROTC. I've been interested in pursing an army ROTC scholarship since my second year of middle school. So far, I've been involved with sports non-stop, I've maintained a high GPA (no lower than a 3.2), and I've been involved with the occasional extra carricular. Next year, I plan on taking up a higher position in our staff (I'm currently a company 1sg), running for class office, and becoming involved with multiple community service clubs.

What I'd like to know is, am I on the right track to get this scholarship? I'm very determined, but I understand that they're extremely competitve and I want to make sure I can get it. And also, if there's anyone here who has already received this scholarship, what did you do to get it? I have a couple more questions I'd like to ask once these ones are out of the way.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 AM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetmachine View Post
My name is Claire, and I'm in my Sophomore year of high school and my 2nd year in AJROTC. I've been interested in pursing an army ROTC scholarship since my second year of middle school. So far, I've been involved with sports non-stop, I've maintained a high GPA (no lower than a 3.2), and I've been involved with the occasional extra carricular. Next year, I plan on taking up a higher position in our staff (I'm currently a company 1sg), running for class office, and becoming involved with multiple community service clubs.

What I'd like to know is, am I on the right track to get this scholarship? I'm very determined, but I understand that they're extremely competitve and I want to make sure I can get it. And also, if there's anyone here who has already received this scholarship, what did you do to get it? I have a couple more questions I'd like to ask once these ones are out of the way.
Well finally somebody is asking a question right down my lane. You are on the right track with the scholarship. Now there is a lot of smoke and mirrors with these things. They tend to make it sound harder than it is to get one of these puppies. Each Department of Military Science (ROTC) is different in its acceptance process. Make sure and apply well before the deadline of December 1st. Please GOD Please beable to pass a PT test, Height Weight/Body Fat, and a Medical. It is come to my experience that alot of AI's and SAI's don't know what they are talking about in the scholarship process. This being said talk to the Military Science Department's Recruiter they should know what they are doing. Might I ask what school you are looking at attending? BTW I'm with the University of North Alabama Military Science Department.

Also I say this to all JROTC Cadets your program is sponsored by the Army and yall where our uniform, but yall are NOT in the military. Have fun in your program and take it seriously but not too seriously.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Recruit

I am not one hundred percent sure as to which university I am going to attend, yet. I've been looking into colleges that have both ROTC and Criminology (the career field I wish to enter). Although, I have been looking into Fresno State (local), I will know for sure by the end of this year. And with the amount of athletics I keep myself in, the female requirements on that test are just too easy.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
I am not one hundred percent sure as to which university I am going to attend, yet. I've been looking into colleges that have both ROTC and Criminology (the career field I wish to enter). Although, I have been looking into Fresno State (local), I will know for sure by the end of this year. And with the amount of athletics I keep myself in, the female requirements on that test are just too easy.
Well I guessing your looking at a degree in Criminal Justice. The good thing about that is that you got a good chance at getting Military Police as your branch. The bad thing is that it is a extremely easy degree to get and short of being a police officer there is nothing much else you can do with it. Though MP and CID are good jobs in the Army. Yea the female standards are easy strive for maxing the male PT test. I half to do this because it my main MO but have you look at the University of North Alabama, we do have one of the best CJ departments in the South East. Like I said I'm sort of entitled to say something about my university.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Machine, if you want to go into Civilian Law Enforcement, a degree in criminology would be good. However, as Tacky would tell you if he was here, MP is not a good military job to hold if you want to be a civilian law enforcement officer.

If you're interested in becoming a criminalist, forensic science is an exciting field and the Army has plenty of jobs in the natural sciences.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
Machine, if you want to go into Civilian Law Enforcement, a degree in criminology would be good. However, as Tacky would tell you if he was here, MP is not a good military job to hold if you want to be a civilian law enforcement officer.

If you're interested in becoming a criminalist, forensic science is an exciting field and the Army has plenty of jobs in the natural sciences.
Its easier to get into CID and SyOps with a CJ Degree

Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Recruit

I want to be a Criminal Profiler and or Criminal Investigator. I understand that degrees in both Criminology and Criminal Justice/Forensics are needed. Is this correct?

Last edited by cadetmachine; 12-30-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Colonel

Quote:
I want to be a Criminal Profiler. I understand that degrees in both Criminology and Criminal Justice/Forensics are needed. Is this correct?
I believe Forensics, Criminology and Psychology are needed. Some Criminal profilers are also Psychiatrists, but most hold PhDs.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
I believe Forensics, Criminology and Psychology are needed. Some Criminal profilers are also Psychiatrists, but most hold PhDs.
Do I need a Bachelor's in all three of these subjects?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Colonel

You might not need one in Forensics, but I would suggest taking grad pysch courses on criminology.

Take a look at schools you would like to attend and drop the psych dept. chair an email asking.

Tags
rotc scholarship, scholarship help