armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Recruit

Exclamation Serious questions...

Hello, Im kinda new to the army, only been in for 8 months, but running into some problems and hoping you vets will be able to help myself and my wife out...
My wife is have a real hard time cooping with the PCS to WSMR, NM and has been spending a lot of time at home (not working or going to college). I am getting ready to deploy soon and we have been having some marital problems due to a lot of drama in my unit. She is not happy with where we are and has been having some bad problems with depression over the past few months some to do with me because of the stress I have been going through due to preparing for deployment and some other reasons having to do with past problems she has gone through. I was told that if my wife was having problems with depression that there is a chance to get on the EFMP Program and I want to know if that is true or not...I will do anything for my wife and dont wont her to be having problems but at the same time I want to deploy and Im torn between both right now, my wife trumps all others though. Is there a chance to get on EFMP or are we kinda stuck, I havent been to NTC yet if that helps.

Any advice would be much appriciated,
PFC Boyd

Old 04-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Captain

Being enrolled in EFMP does not exempt you from deployments. It's a program designed to ensure that you get assigned to areas that will provide the medical resources that any of your family members may need for whatever conditions they have. Depending on those conditions, you could be deemed undeployable but keep in mind that to be in those positions can be career suicide.

The only way that your wife can be enrolled in EFMP is if is she is officially diagnosed with a medical condition by a doctor.

I don't typically recommend sending someone home but would being with her family help her while you are deployed?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Being enrolled in EFMP does not exempt you from deployments. It's a program designed to ensure that you get assigned to areas that will provide the medical resources that any of your family members may need for whatever conditions they have. Depending on those conditions, you could be deemed undeployable but keep in mind that to be in those positions can be career suicide.

The only way that your wife can be enrolled in EFMP is if is she is officially diagnosed with a medical condition by a doctor.

I don't typically recommend sending someone home but would being with her family help her while you are deployed?
Just like Army girl said and it could also help with compassionate reassignment.

I suggest that you notify your chain first, then perhaps get a Chaplain involved to talk to the both of you. Its not easy for a new wife to be living far away from the family and then have to tend to a deployment. Has she made new friends at the installation? Do you have children? My spouse has made friends whenever we PCSed but at the same time our girls keeps her busy as well.

But another course of action, will have her seek medical attention/counseling at the base hospital and see what happens. I am not trying to scare you but there were some spouses that were put on anti-depressants when their spouses went downrange. The point is to seek assistance where you at and let things take their course. I wish you the best. Probably see you downrange in a few weeks.