armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 09-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Staff Sergeant

Default ??????????????????????

I need to know what kind of gear you are deployed with when you leave for Iraq, also what kind of extra gear would you need to but?

Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Staff Sergeant

Default need to know

i really need to know, please answer

Old 09-15-2005, 08:40 PM
First Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to Chickenhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Chickenhawk

Are you talking general gear, personal gear, job-specific gear, or what?

I haven't been in for a while, but I can tell you what personal gear we had issued to us and what I used to take with me that I bought.

The issued gear (basic issue items and combat gear): Kevlar helmet, goggles, flak vest, LBE (load bearing equipment. The utility belt that holds the canteen, ammo pouches, first aid puch, etc, and the suspenders. Lots of guys attach their field knife, flashlight, ranger beads, first aid pouch, hearing protection, and whatever else to the suspenders). You will also have a protective mask ("gas" mask), ruck sack, duffel bag, NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) Suit, ICE pack (replacement stuff for the NBC gear). You will pack all your Battle Dress Uniforms (BDU's), boots, socks, underwear, t-shirts, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, shelter halves with poles and stakes (if issued anymore) entrenching tool (folding shovel), rain gear, poncho, cold weather gear, and maybe a few other things I may have forgotten, into your duffel bag and ruck sack. Most units have a packing list, which details what items they want packed into the duffel bag and what they want packed into the ruck. You will also pack (room permitting) personal items for your comfort. Don't forget toiletries.

The few things I bought were: Mosquito dope, camouflage paint (issue stuff sucks), a kevlar pad for inside the kevlar (the webbing will kill you after a while), a field knife (6" blade or less), mini-maglite, jungle boots (unless issued), a Gerber lock-back knife, and a Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool.

You will also have other gear at your disposal, depending on your job and/or mission requirements. These may include radios, Night-vision Goggles, NBC Alarms, NBC test kits, weapons other than what you are normally issued (rocket launchers, hand grenades, 40mm grenades for the M-203 grenade launcher, claymores, etc).

Does that help?
"SOLDIER" I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go and did what others failed to do...At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was...a soldier. (excerpt) ---Captain George Skypeck, U.S. Army---

Old 09-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Why do you need to know?

Gear will change depending on unit, MOS, AO, etc.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Sergeant First Class

Also depends on what time of year your going out, and how easy it is to swap kit about from home when the need arises.

If your going anytime soon; don't kid yourself that it will be 45c all year - from mid-october til march time it can get bloody cold. Make sure you have warm kit, especially if your going to be out working at night, the more remote FOB's, or one of those poor bastards who have to sit out on the checkpoints on Tampa!

Mossie net/good repellent is a must, Softie jacket if you can get them - I think they're a british thing, but they're combat proven and top bits of warm off-duty kit. I swore by my Arktis Combat Vest while I was out there as well - but I appriciate you guys don't have the same flexability with personal kit as us Brits do.

If your going to be staying in Camp Victory, I wouldn't worry too much.. that place has everything you could want and then some - if you don't take it with you, I'm sure you'd be able to get it in the PX.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Staff Sergeant

Thanks a load, my brother is getting shipped out to Iraq in 2weeks and thought i could get him some comforts since he's low on cash.

: P.S. hes 11b infantryman

Last edited by Zekos; 09-16-2005 at 02:16 PM..