armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Private

Default Why hello there.

Hello, my name is Matt, I'm a 19 year old college student and out of work EMT-Basic. I'm looking to join the army in the next month or two as a 68w. I should be able to enlist in 4-6 weeks, after I've taken a new A.D.D. test. The hope is it'll come back negative, so I don't need a waiver and can get options 4 and 40 in my contract, but if not I'll survive. At any rate, I've found loads of useful information on this forum already, and look forward to talking with all of you.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 AM
General of the Armies

Welcome Matt, hope you enjoy our crazy debates, and hope to see your contris soon. You are doing Option 40 contract with a 68W... cool, never heard of that before.....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Welcome Matt, hope you enjoy our crazy debates, and hope to see your contris soon. You are doing Option 40 contract with a 68W... cool, never heard of that before.....
Thanks, I appreciate it!
And yeah, my end goal is to end up volunteering from SF, and hopefully ending up an 18D, so Ranger school should help.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Brigadier General

You won't need an Option 4 and Option 40. The Option 40 contract includes Airborne School. There are no Rangers in the 75th Ranger Regiment that are not Airborne qualified.

Here's the way it will happen -

Go to BCT & 68W AIT. From there to Airborne School, & then Ranger Indoc (RIP). Upon successfully passing all of those courses you'll be assigned as a Medic in one of the three battalions of the 75th Ranger Regt. or the 75th itself. After being in Batt for a while (it used to be a year but it goes faster now) you'll be sent to Ranger School. When you graduate from RS you'll receive your Tab. Meanwhile you'll still be considered a Ranger. Once in a Batt you're a Ranger with or without the Tab. You'll wear a Tan Beret & Ranger Scroll from the minute you get out of RIP.

Sometime while you're in a Ranger Batt you can volunteer for SF & go through selection. My son was kind of thinking about that when he went in (11X/Abn/Option 40) but liked it in 3rd Batt so much he stayed a Ranger throughout his enlistment.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
You won't need an Option 4 and Option 40. The Option 40 contract includes Airborne School. There are no Rangers in the 75th Ranger Regiment that are not Airborne qualified.

Here's the way it will happen -

Go to BCT & 68W AIT. From there to Airborne School, & then Ranger Indoc (RIP). Upon successfully passing all of those courses you'll be assigned as a Medic in one of the three battalions of the 75th Ranger Regt. or the 75th itself. After being in Batt for a while (it used to be a year but it goes faster now) you'll be sent to Ranger School. When you graduate from RS you'll receive your Tab. Meanwhile you'll still be considered a Ranger. Once in a Batt you're a Ranger with or without the Tab. You'll wear a Tan Beret & Ranger Scroll from the minute you get out of RIP.

Sometime while you're in a Ranger Batt you can volunteer for SF & go through selection. My son was kind of thinking about that when he went in (11X/Abn/Option 40) but liked it in 3rd Batt so much he stayed a Ranger throughout his enlistment.
Ah, I guess I was just confused. Thanks for the awesome reply, this really helps me a lot. This is just what I want to do, and you gave me a literal step by step. Thanks so much for the help!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Brigadier General

If you want a Ranger contract start getting in shape & continue to do that throughout BCT, AIT & Airborne School on your own.. The PT you'll get there isn't enough to prepare yourself for RIP. Be prepared to take a PT test & score at least 70% in the 17-21 age group just to get there. Onve you get into the 75th Ranger Regt. you have to maintain an 80% to stay there.

Rip is a real bear of a program. The whole thing is a test to see if you're Ranger material. Before you go to Ranger School your battalion will put you through a pre-Ranger course to make sure you're ready for a 62 day kick in the groin. My son still contends that RIP was harder but in Ranger School you'll have food & sleep deprivation to contend with.
Retired MSG

Old 03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Private

I've already been working out and dieting for BCT, making sure I'm at my peak before shipping. As far as preparing physically for RIP goes, are there any muscle groups I should work on more heavily? And do you know of any exercise programs/work outs to help prepare for it?

Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Brigadier General

The best way to prepare yourself is to do a lot of running, push-ups, situps & pull-ups.

Run every other day. Get warmed up doing jumping jacks, walking Before stretching out. Get your heart rate up before stretching, stretch before running.

Google "RIP"or "Ranger Indoctrination Program" to let you know what the requirements are. There's also a combat swim test - a minimum of 15 meters fully clothed with boots. You also have to jump off of a high platform before swimming & they'll throw you in the water when you least expect it. They look for signs of panic. Swimming is also a good excercise to improve your cardio.

There are many other ways to build yourself up but my theory is if you want to run faster & longer then run. Same goes for push-ups & sit-ups.
Retired MSG

Old 03-21-2009, 04:11 PM
General of the Armies

Great Advice MSG Glenn... You old timers sure know your stuff....

Ex..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"