armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Private

Default Atheism and the Military.

A while back I saw stories in the news about atheists in the military being discriminated against. Now I know that the majority of our service men and women are profession enough to put their personal differences aside, and that these must be isolated cases. However, I also understand that an overwhelming majority of the people in our military are Christian, So I'm here to ask your opinions, what do you think of atheists in the military? Or people of religions other then those of the Judeo-Christian tradition? Do you think atheists should take to silencing themselves on their beliefs (or lack there of) in the name of unit cohesion?
Truth be told, I'm an atheist and am thinking about joining the army, so it would be nice to 'test the waters' as it were, on this issue.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 AM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
A while back I saw stories in the news about atheists in the military being discriminated against. Now I know that the majority of our service men and women are profession enough to put their personal differences aside, and that these must be isolated cases. However, I also understand that an overwhelming majority of the people in our military are Christian, So I'm here to ask your opinions, what do you think of atheists in the military? Or people of religions other then those of the Judeo-Christian tradition? Do you think atheists should take to silencing themselves on their beliefs (or lack there of) in the name of unit cohesion?
Truth be told, I'm an atheist and am thinking about joining the army, so it would be nice to 'test the waters' as it were, on this issue.
In my last command that I served at before i got out of the military, of about 340 people, maybe 10-15 went to services on sunday when the ship was deployed.

In my experience, religion was hardly ever talked about at work.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcCain View Post
In my last command that I served at before i got out of the military, of about 340 people, maybe 10-15 went to services on sunday when the ship was deployed.

In my experience, religion was hardly ever talked about at work.
So, would you say it would be 'safe' to express my personal beliefs? I would have no problem holding back in that department, however I think that if I were able to express my opinions openly, without reserve due to fear of prejudice, that I could be a more honest and genuine person. In that way I would imagine I would benefit in my overall experience in the military.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
So, would you say it would be 'safe' to express my personal beliefs? I would have no problem holding back in that department, however I think that if I were able to express my opinions openly, without reserve due to fear of prejudice, that I could be a more honest and genuine person. In that way I would imagine I would benefit in my overall experience in the military.
You need to use your common sense, a dude I served with was an exPriest, and didnt say boo about Religion and nobody cared he was an exPriest, same for a guy who was a Pagan, and some other dude who was a bone fide bible thumper... the latter decided to tell us about God, and we decided to tell him to loose the bible sale, or an arm... he choose the former....

Point being that we are all Soldiers, and nobody really cares to listen to your personal religous beliefs as the Army is a diverse body of fighting men and women.... you dont have to hide your athesism, but dont shove it anybody's face either...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 03-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Captain

Honestly, it's not that big of an issue. The reports that you have probably talked about are isolated incidents. Anytime someone feels they aren't getting the same treatment as others or the same opportunities it's discrimination. In my 16 years around the military, I can honestly say that religion has rarely been an issue and I started off my military career in an area that was predominately one religion and there I was with no real religion.

I've known many atheists and it has never been an issue to me or those who have served with me.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Why??

Quote:

Why is it that people who tend to stray from the "norm" always want to tell people why they are different? Why cant you just keep it to yourself? Why do you feel it's even necessary to let people know your religious beleifs? I dont walk down the street proclaiming my heterosexuality or my religious beleifs, however Gay's, Atheists, Nazi's, White Supremacists, Abortionist's seem to feel they have to let the whole world know their views whether we like it or not!! When I went into the Army my recruiter told me to keep my head down, my ears open and my mouth shut!! Continue with this tradition and you wont have any problems!!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Why is it that people who tend to stray from the "norm" always want to tell people why they are different? Why cant you just keep it to yourself? Why do you feel it's even necessary to let people know your religious beleifs? I dont walk down the street proclaiming my heterosexuality or my religious beleifs, however Gay's, Atheists, Nazi's, White Supremacists, Abortionist's seem to feel they have to let the whole world know their views whether we like it or not!! When I went into the Army my recruiter told me to keep my head down, my ears open and my mouth shut!! Continue with this tradition and you wont have any problems!!
First of all, comparing Gays and Atheists to Nazis and White Supremacists is just silly, and frankly rather insulting.
And it's not a matter of proclaiming my differences; I'm not going to be running around heralding my beliefs. But you'd have to be foolish not imagine a philosophical discussion wouldn't come up eventually.
Besides, those Gays and Atheists that DO tell people about their beliefs are usually doing so in a manner in setting so as to further their political agenda, such as gay marriage or progressing secularism.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Its more the person rather then the belief.. there was a pagan in my old platoon who kept his beliefs... The bible thumper came very close to an *** kicking cos he didnt know when to shut his mouth.... He knew about us, but kept it going with others... Guess its an attention thing...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Recruit

The religion topic has come up a few times while Ive been in. However, since I stray from the norm I tend to just listen instead of talk. If they ask me my beliefs I say I am a non-believer and leave it at that. I dont classify myself as being an atheist only because to me, that is becoming a religion of its own, and I am against organzed religion. I respect other peoples beliefs and I dont intrude on them. I do not try to convert anyone, nor do I try to spread my beliefs. It is my opinion that everyone needs to come to thier beliefs own thier own. I have never had any trouble, I havent been discriminated against and I really dont think that I ever will be. I encourage people to find religion. If religion makes you a better person Im all for it. Just dont preach to me.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default What???

Quote:
First of all, comparing Gays and Atheists to Nazis and White Supremacists is just silly, and frankly rather insulting.
And it's not a matter of proclaiming my differences; I'm not going to be running around heralding my beliefs. But you'd have to be foolish not imagine a philosophical discussion wouldn't come up eventually.
Besides, those Gays and Atheists that DO tell people about their beliefs are usually doing so in a manner in setting so as to further their political agenda, such as gay marriage or progressing secularism.
Okay APOC, I am going to type real slow so you can keep up!! I didnt "compare" gay's and atheists to Nazi's and white suprmacists!! I was only saying that those groups as a whole tend to be vocal about thier beliefs. I would hope that when that "discussion" arises you would be truthful with whoever you are talking to. The Military has fought for over 200 years for your right to believe however you like..we have also fought for the right to tell you to shut the hell up if we dont care about your beliefs. All I am saying is dont make it an issue and it wont be one. We are all discriminated against in one way shape or fashion. It's how you deal with it that makes the difference. If you respect the right of someone who doesnt believe the way you do then everything will be fine. If you want to stomp your feet and start crying "discrimination" because someone doesnt care about your opinion, then your going to have a serious issue's when you enlist. Like I said before..keep your head down, your mouth shut and your ears open and you will do fine. Dont make a mountain out of a mole hill!!