armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Private

Default Another question about A.D.D.

Hello, my name is Matthew and I'm a 19 year old male interesting in joining the army as a 68w.
When I was 16 or 17 my grades started to slip a bit, so my mom worried and thought I had A.D.D.. After taking the A.D.D. test, it was shown that I do indeed have it. After taking the test, I talked with the psychologist that had administered it and he suggested putting me on the lowest dose of Adderall to see if it would improve my grades.
There was no improvement in my grades, and so after some time I self discontinued my medication. Now that I'm in college, I've seen a significant increase in my GPA, from below 2.5 from graduation to 3.6 currently. I have also acquired 35 credits to date, and will add another 12 at the end of the semester if my grades continue to hold at their current level. I am also a licensed EMT-Basic in the state of Michigan and scored over 90 on the ASVAB.
I've never had an issue with concentration of focus, and in fact the reason my grades were falling in high school was due to laziness and lack of responsibility in that I simply didn't do the homework.
I won't say that I was misdiagnosed, I'm not a psychoanalyst, however I do feel that my "A.D.D." shouldn't impede me.
So my questions are these:
If I were to take another A.D.D. test, and the results were to come back that I didn't have it anymore, how would that affect my chances of being able to join the army/get a waiver?
If I were to take a new test and it came back negative, would I even have to get a waiver?
Would it be possible for me to get a medical waiver at my current state?
What would I have to do as of now to get a waiver?

Thanks in advance for your help answering my questions, and for your service to our country.

Also, sorry about the long-winded post.