armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Private

Default thanks

Thanks...my thoughts exactly, I'm just hoping that the Army isn't in such need of recruits they take her at this time.....My biggest fear is she would get extremely stressed at Basic and her depression would resurface....well, I'll just cross my fingers and hope the Army agrees with me and they DQ her at least for a year or two to try and mature and get her mental state a little more stable...THANKS

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Private First Class

Default Never give up hope

I feel for your daughter I have add and I am gonna join in may,but I am off my meds and what has really help me is being mature I am 26 now.

And trust me feeling depression is not a good thing in boot camp,but will see your daughter will get better,but add is very misunderstood condition, they generalize it not everyone is the same,there is like 50000 people with add in the army soo.

It depends on the level of condition,and your daughter has to help herself too,you cannot depend on meds foreever,

My med was my determination, being positive and being mature those are the things i am gonna take with me when i go to the army soo.

Good luck to your daughter

Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Private

Default thanks Sirius...

I think maturity will help her a lot! Her ADD isn't real bad, but its enough with her immaturity that would hamper her at this time in basic, and past depression issues concern me since she still deals with self confidence issues etc. I know meds is not the answer always...but it does help until she can learn how to live with her issues. I too have ADD and depression...and have learned over years how to cope and how to motivate myself etc....Maturity is definately a big factor, back when I was young like you guys....they did not give meds or diagnose people like they do now and we just had to "grow up"...and I do think that is a big part of it.....I would love to see what she is like in a year, and if then she still wants to join and has been functioning I think it would be a great thing for her.....

Good Luck Sirius...and hey I would love to hear how Basic goes for you!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Brigadier General

I was a wrestling coach for our grade school team & had several ADD kids. Now that they're all in their middle 20's I still see some in church & they sure have mellowed out! Whether they're still on meds I'm not sure about but my son thinks they're not. Maybe that is something that can be grow out of.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Private

I dont see how adjustment disorder & ADHD would be problems. According to the Navy I have both, and I functioned fine there but they didnt like the fact that I had it and threw me out anyway.

When I want to focus, there is NOTHING and I mean nothing that will take my mind off of the task at hand. And if there isnt anything in particular to focus on, I'm alert to every damn thing that moves. And once I've looked at it, and found it is no more interesting than my current activity, I go right back to what I was doing. As for the hyperactive portion, I would think a hyperactive badass on your side would be an asset during a firefight.

But that's just me, and Im a very strong willed individual. My ability to focus came from years of forcing myself to focus on what I wanted to do and not anything else the class was doing. Pissed the teachers off to no end that I never listened to them. Still graduated with a 3.8 GPA. Also, I didnt wait for the doctor to tell me I could stop taking my meds, I just stopped taking them. Been off for 17 years.

Only reason Im out of the Navy now is some damn medical record check caught it and I hadnt told them about it when I joined up.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Brigadier General

I still think that's something where there's apossibility to grow out of.

My only misgiving is how an ADHD person can function under extreme stress. There's one heck of a lot less stress between average Navy duty & average Army duty. BCT can be very stressfull in itself.

I was talking about the ADD kids I had on the wrestling team. Off their meds they were impossible to work with. Didn't pay attention, bounced off the walls. They were intelligent kids & got very good grades one of my requirements to be on the team.

Here's a scenario that sends chills down my spine- in the middle of a big firefight you suddenly hear "Sarge, I'm starting to fall apart & I'm out of meds".

Probably would never happen. Again those kids that had it bad are now adults & they seem to be very calm & stable. I have no idea whether they're on meds, though.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.