armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Recruit

Default reenlistment questions

I was actually just sworn in on June 12th and will be shipped out to basic training on July 6th. My question is concerning reenlistment. While I am excited about joining the military, my desired MOS was not available, so I chose 88m as an alternative. What I wanted was 11b - infantry; not because i want to kill..Kill...KILL!!!! But because I eventually I want to be a 91w (combat medic) and feel I should have both combat training and experience to best serve in that field. My question is this: I was told that I could reenlist after one year ( I signed up for three) and, if available, enter the infantry, after training of course. Does anyone know anything about this or, better yet, have first hand knowledge that this either true or not. Or would I have to wait until my three years are up first. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin24601
I was actually just sworn in on June 12th and will be shipped out to basic training on July 6th. My question is concerning reenlistment. While I am excited about joining the military, my desired MOS was not available, so I chose 88m as an alternative. What I wanted was 11b - infantry; not because i want to kill..Kill...KILL!!!! But because I eventually I want to be a 91w (combat medic) and feel I should have both combat training and experience to best serve in that field. My question is this: I was told that I could reenlist after one year ( I signed up for three) and, if available, enter the infantry, after training of course. Does anyone know anything about this or, better yet, have first hand knowledge that this either true or not. Or would I have to wait until my three years are up first. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You'll have to reclass. 88M is a pretty touchy MOS right now, they need bodies and they are not releasing any 88Ms for reclass, so it is unlikely that you'll be able to get 11B before your three years are up.

11B would not have been unavailable, so if you were told this, you were lied to. My advice, get it changed before you leave.. while you're still in the DEP.