armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Command Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to hollisrae Send a message via Yahoo to hollisrae
Question new army girlfriend needs help!

Hi everybody!! I'm completely new to the web site and and am so greatful that i have found a place that i can chat with others in my situation!! My b/f and i have been good friends for over 7 years now, and have recently decided to take the next step... and here in lies the problem! He is depolyed in Iraq and will be there untill October. I love this man with everything that i am, but have no idea how to proceed with this. We chat on the web cam almost daily, and send pics and emails when we are not able to get online at the same time. Things are going great, but i need to know where I go from here. I have no clue about care packages, r&r leave, or what happens when he finaly gets home. I don't want to be the g/f that is less than others and i don't want to look like an idiot if i do something like sending a package to him. If anyone has ANY advice or sugestions I would be very appriciative!!! I hate feeling clueless!!! Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! Stay strong lady's and gents!!

Last edited by hollisrae; 05-01-2009 at 09:24 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Sergeant

welcome to the site.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisrae View Post
Hi everybody!! I'm completely new to the web site and and am so greatful that i have found a place that i can chat with others in my situation!! My b/f and i have been good friends for over 7 years now, and have recently decided to take the next step... and here in lies the problem! He is depolyed in Iraq and will be there untill October. I love this man with everything that i am, but have no idea how to proceed with this. We chat on the web cam almost daily, and send pics and emails when we are not able to get online at the same time. Things are going great, but i need to know where I go from here. I have no clue about care packages, r&r leave, or what happens when he finaly gets home. I don't want to be the g/f that is less than others and i don't want to look like an idiot if i do something like sending a package to him. If anyone has ANY advice or sugestions I would be very appriciative!!! I hate feeling clueless!!! Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! Stay strong lady's and gents!!
Why not send him a package? Since you're in communication with him ask him what he wants or needs. Probably not a whole lot because unless he's in a remote location there ar PXs available. Even my son who was deployed 5 times as a Ranger & secluded many times was able to supply himself with creature comforts. We asked him & he said beef jeky & Cope. He didn't use it but his buddies did so he could pass it to his men & they thought of him as a hero. Having met most of them I considered them my sons also.

I guess the next step is marriage, right? You'll just have to wait until his deployment is over & he's back stateside. Meanwhile you can start making tentative plans. Once he's back from deployment he should have a stabilized tour for awhile. I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Command Sergeant Major

Well marriage is being discussed, but no definate plans yet. He is going to be home in June on r&r leave and i will be able to get to see him and spend some quality time with him then!! YAY! Hopefully we will get that figured out when he is home. He is in Taji so he has access to pretty much anything he would want... which is why i have no clue what would be good to send. I have thought about just sending some photos of us in years past and of friends from back home, but didn't know if that would be appropriate. His deployment will be over in October and he will be back at FT. Hood, TX. I live in Oklahoma so it is not that far of a drive to go to see him when time allows. I would hope that he would not be going overseas again for quite some time. This is his second deployment, already spent 15 mo. in Korea. But i don't know what the army has in store for him. he is taking his e-5 board on manday and i don't know if that might change the possability of his being deployed again in the near future.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Command Sergeant Major

Default Yay!!

Thank you chodge!! It's nice to be welcomed in a new place and a new life!!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Brigadier General

I doubt if his promotion to SGT would have any effect on his deployment schedule if he's staying in his same unit. The next time his unit rotates he'll be going with them.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisrae View Post
Thank you chodge!! It's nice to be welcomed in a new place and a new life!!
your welcome

Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Command Sergeant Major

Smile

Well that is good to know!! it'll be nice to be able to see him on a regular basis again! Plus that will make the decision process a lot easier for me. his unit is deployed often so i would not see him being home for too long before he is out again.