armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Recruit

Default This time JAG

Dear Sir/Mam,
I am 41 (42 3-28). I served in the USMCR. I have been a practicing attorney for 5 years and have contacted a National Guard recruiter about joining for JAG. I have a few questions:
1) How will attending Marin Corp basic before affect any required training such as OCS.
2) By going JAG what are chances of getting a waiver if Im not commisioned by 42.
3) I know there are med?physical exemptions for physicians, is there anything similar for JAG. I dont know that Ill need one but just in case.

Thanks. I have more but lets see how the answers to these questions go.

Houston

Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litigator66 View Post
Dear Sir/Mam,
I am 41 (42 3-28). I served in the USMCR. I have been a practicing attorney for 5 years and have contacted a National Guard recruiter about joining for JAG. I have a few questions:
1) How will attending Marin Corp basic before affect any required training such as OCS.
2) By going JAG what are chances of getting a waiver if Im not commisioned by 42.
3) I know there are med?physical exemptions for physicians, is there anything similar for JAG. I dont know that Ill need one but just in case.

Houston
Marine Corps boot camp has nothing to do with Army OCS. You'll have to attend.

I don't know what your chances are of getting a waiver for commission at your age, I've never heard of it, however, the National Guard does some weird and different things and has some fairly relaxed standards so they can pull more strings than RA.

Your questions are very specific and your situation is outside of the norm so you are unlikely to find answers to them via a website. Your best bet is to talk to the NG, they'll be able to answer whatever you have simply because they have the resources available to make calls to higher bn and ask.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Default Army Guard....Hooah.

Here you go sir...[url]www.militaryalmanac.com[/url] The Army National Guard Almanac..Your real close to the cut-off. Get In touch with the closest unit that handles..Jags..Keep in mind..That their might not be a unit very close to your home,,,So look into that..As far..The wavier goes like Top said, The Army Guard is very "go to"...for talented Recurits...The Army Guard offers alot. You might want to catch a unit in action. You'll learn alot.... [url]http://www.1800goguard.com/car/index.php[/url] Also pm matthew.ritchie He's four year recruiter..He can get you dialed -in on all things Army Guard...I wish you Luck with that wavier...

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia.
Army Aviation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by litigator66 View Post
Dear Sir/Mam,

Houston
1. JAGs are directly appointed by virtue of their professional qualifications. No prior service or OCS required. You must meet JAG appointment standards (general military entry physical standards, JD degree, bar membership in any state, age 41 or younger at time of appointment).
2. Max age for initial appointment as a commissioned officer is 31, with waiver authority of the Chief of the National Guard Bureau recently extended from 39 to 41. You must be appointed with an effective date prior to your 42d birthday.
3. The med waiver authority takes some account of your duties when considering waivers. Thus, they'll go to the outer edge of the limit when considering JAGs, because they know that their duties are of a less physical nature than many jobs.

Don't wait to get moving on this, because you have several board actions to complete before you can pin on your silver bar -- TJAG credentialing, and the FRB will each take at least 30 days, if not up to 90, depending on how the calendar falls.

References: NGR 600-100, and AR 135-100. First note chapters on general eligibility, and then the specific chapters on JAG.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Recruit

Default Army Paralegal Assistant before or after Law school?

Was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not I should join the Army as a paralegal assistant before or after going to law school? I can't really afford law school right now, so I was interested in the Army as a way to pay for my past college loans and to help pay for law school afterwards if not while I'm in the Army. Also I would like to know why I've been told by many military men and women that I should go in as and Officer and NOT enlist...why is that? I was told by the recruiter that I cannot choose my job if I go in as an Officer...and that I must score a 110 or higher on the GT section...my overall goal is to be a JAG Attorney

Old 04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Brigadier General

Your Recruiter was right about not being able to pick your career field as an officer going to OCS Usually the top percentage of OCS grads can chose their job. It's needs of the Army that prevail otherwise.

Joining as an officer vs enlisted is a question many have to labor over. The Army has programs for each that will pay for tuition forgiveness.

If you enlist you'll be going in as an E-4 with a bachelor's.

The Army also will pay up to $50,000 dollars toward your education after you leave active duty. That can go a long way toward your law degree.

Getting your law degree before entering military service will also give you the ability to enter with a direct commission if applicable at that time. Then you'd be commissioned as a JAG officer, no OCS & worrying about what job they'll put you in.

You could even go in as enlisted, make some money, get up to $50,000 when you get out (depending on the time you spent on active duty), get your law degree & come back in with a direct commission as a JAG officer.

You have many options to choose from.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.