armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 02-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Recruit

Default Is the army right for me?

I'm an aspiring filmmaker, and writer of screenplays...all that good stuff. I'm 19, right out of high school, and no way able to afford college right now. I'm tired of the same monotonous things in life, I want to see different places and do something of importance. What would I expect if I joined the army? What are the good, and the bad parts?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 AM
General of the Armies

Welcome man, and to answer your question is as follows;

Be Prepared for

Anything.... all preconceptions of what it is acceptable and not acceptable should be shed from the getgo..

Shift in way of life that alters your very perception of the world... For those who make the grade, its a good thing.

Good Points;

- Solid Career with amazing prospects for those who have their head screwed on right.
- Ability to travel, and experience diverse cultures that you would not get at home
- Comraderie of your brother and sister soldiers.... being one with your unit... being in solidarity with your fellow soldier... a real sense of belonging
- Knowledge that your input/career extends beyond profit margins of companies, it protects your kin from harm.

Bad Points

- If you carry preconceptions with you, it can turn into hell very quickly when your notions of whats right for you get overidden by military training and descipline
- If you get stuck with *******s who whinge and moan all the time, it can wear you down...
- If you are a very dognatic person, you may find the transition to military life very painful...
- You may be placed in harms way, if you are in a clash zone.... and you may need to kill, or injure combatants if you find yourself in a fire fight....

Bear in mind that the above is not all encompassing, its just my opinion trying to put myself in your shoes.... My personal experience was when my mother listed out what I could do with my life.. College, Nursing, Cops, Bank..... I asked her what one did I not have to study for... she came out with Army... I was thrilled, get paid for blowing **** up and I dont have to be bored to death by some old fart in a tweed jacket..... I was there.... just like my father and Grandfather...

One final point, if your sole motivation for joining is to supplement your income to get your film making quals... then I would not join the military... that would be a recipe for disaster.... Stick to civilian career and means of education...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Recruit

It would be my choice of a career if my film career falls through, then I'd go into law enforcement after I was done.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:14 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahjzul View Post
It would be my choice of a career if my film career falls through, then I'd go into law enforcement after I was done.
Sounds like a plan then.. good luck with the film career...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Welcome man, and to answer your question is as follows;

Be Prepared for

Anything.... all preconceptions of what it is acceptable and not acceptable should be shed from the getgo..

Shift in way of life that alters your very perception of the world... For those who make the grade, its a good thing.

Good Points;

- Solid Career with amazing prospects for those who have their head screwed on right.
- Ability to travel, and experience diverse cultures that you would not get at home
- Comraderie of your brother and sister soldiers.... being one with your unit... being in solidarity with your fellow soldier... a real sense of belonging
- Knowledge that your input/career extends beyond profit margins of companies, it protects your kin from harm.

Bad Points

- If you carry preconceptions with you, it can turn into hell very quickly when your notions of whats right for you get overidden by military training and descipline
- If you get stuck with *******s who whinge and moan all the time, it can wear you down...
- If you are a very dognatic person, you may find the transition to military life very painful...
- You may be placed in harms way, if you are in a clash zone.... and you may need to kill, or injure combatants if you find yourself in a fire fight....

Bear in mind that the above is not all encompassing, its just my opinion trying to put myself in your shoes.... My personal experience was when my mother listed out what I could do with my life.. College, Nursing, Cops, Bank..... I asked her what one did I not have to study for... she came out with Army... I was thrilled, get paid for blowing **** up and I dont have to be bored to death by some old fart in a tweed jacket..... I was there.... just like my father and Grandfather...

One final point, if your sole motivation for joining is to supplement your income to get your film making quals... then I would not join the military... that would be a recipe for disaster.... Stick to civilian career and means of education...
Well done Ex.... Think about this Hahjul. Have a plan and research exactly what it is you have to offer the Army and how you and the Army can both benifit from you wearing our uniform....that said. The Army is great place to grow and serve your country with pride and respect...for yourself and others...it start's with the soldiers beside you. I have a friend who once said....don't wait for the Armed Services to pay your bills. You will learn how....and you will learn (can do) with your team. And if your lucky... you will learn to place others ahead of yourself. At this point your in the right frame of mind ...your boots to the ground
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 02-20-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahjzul View Post
I'm an aspiring filmmaker, and writer of screenplays...all that good stuff. I'm 19, right out of high school, and no way able to afford college right now. I'm tired of the same monotonous things in life, I want to see different places and do something of importance. What would I expect if I joined the army? What are the good, and the bad parts?

To break down what my friend Exo1 has said to you into 123s and ABCs, you can expect:

To take orders.
To most often not enjoy those orders.
To see death and destruction.
To see human nature at its worse.
To feel and be the most tired/hungry/cold/hot/miserable in your entire life.
To watch your friends die.
To spend a lot of time in the desert.
To miss your family, their important days and yours.

You can also expect:

To work alongside some of the best and brightest this country has to offer.
To see human nature at its most finest.
To save lives.
To do and see things civilians can only dream of.
To make friends so genuine and loyal that they would die for you.
To gain maturity.
To understand selfless service.
To gain a realistic outlook on life.
To understand what it takes to suceed in life.

I could go on, but this should help you.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
To break down what my friend Exo1 has said to you into 123s and ABCs, you can expect:

To take orders.
To most often not enjoy those orders.
To see death and destruction.
To see human nature at its worse.
To feel and be the most tired/hungry/cold/hot/miserable in your entire life.
To watch your friends die.
To spend a lot of time in the desert.
To miss your family, their important days and yours.

You can also expect:

To work alongside some of the best and brightest this country has to offer.
To see human nature at its most finest.
To save lives.
To do and see things civilians can only dream of.
To make friends so genuine and loyal that they would die for you.
To gain maturity.
To understand selfless service.
To gain a realistic outlook on life.
To understand what it takes to suceed in life.

I could go on, but this should help you.
That's exactly what I needed, thanks.