armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Private First Class

Default Email Communication

Hey all,
My boyfriend left for basic training at Fort knox a few days ago. I have a couple questions:

1. I want to email him, Do I email his personal email or does the army assign him a military email.

2. How often will he have access to the computer in BCT?

3. He's 19D. Will he have 19 STRAIGHT weeks of basic? Will I be able to come vist at any time?

4. What are his chances of being deployed?

5. How many phone calls will I get?

6. If he decides he isn't capable of doing his job, is he aloud to quit BCT?

7. I feel that my health is at risk with the extreme amount of stress put on me. Is that a good reason for him to come home?

I NEED ANSWERS QUICK!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Brigadier General

I doubt if he'll be able to do any e mailing. Use his personal e mail on the off chance he may be able to access a computer.

His first 9 weeks (possibly 10 now) will be spent in the BCT phase. After that he'll start 19D training. Combat Arms MOSs have OSUT which means One Station Unit Training. Basic & 19D are run together as one long course -same Drill SGTs, same buildings, etc.

My son had the same thing for Infantry basic at Ft. Benning.

Count on him being deployed. We're a nation at war.

He may be allowed to use a phone about halfway through the BCT phase for a few minutes. They're usually given a little time off on Sundays to go to the PX & there are phones there & he may be able to use the unit phone. Phone privileges vary from Drill SGT to Drill SGT, and class to class.

Don't rely on him quitting. There's a stigma attached that'll follow him the rest of his life.

Unless you're a dependant of his, i.e. his wife they won't let him quit for personal reasons. He signed a contract with the Army.

All I can say is right now at this time there are thousands of girlfriends going through exactly what you are. Not to mention wives, children, parents & other loved ones.

He'll come out a better man, this I can insure you.

What he needs most of all is your support. Try not to make it any harder than it is for him at this time.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Second Lieutenant

my son was never near a computer at basic. He did phone home a few times, best to rely on letters. Write to him often!! Send him a phone card so he doesn't have any excuses not to use the pay phones by the PX. Don't make him worry about you, he's got enough on his mind. You can do this! It will be fine. You will be amazed the next time you see him. You think he's hot now, honey just wait!! He will have a graduation you can go to and see him for a day or so. Hang in there and be proud of him!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glipiro View Post
Hey all,
My boyfriend left for basic training at Fort knox a few days ago. I have a couple questions:

1. I want to email him, Do I email his personal email or does the army assign him a military email.

2. How often will he have access to the computer in BCT?

3. He's 19D. Will he have 19 STRAIGHT weeks of basic? Will I be able to come vist at any time?

4. What are his chances of being deployed?

5. How many phone calls will I get?

6. If he decides he isn't capable of doing his job, is he aloud to quit BCT?

7. I feel that my health is at risk with the extreme amount of stress put on me. Is that a good reason for him to come home?

I NEED ANSWERS QUICK!!!
Little communication... like MSG said...I was able to hear from my husband on Sundays and we would talk for no more than 15 minutes and at the beginning he was only allowed 3-5 minutes per call. MSG pretty much answered everything else...

As for your question... number 7... MSG said there are many that feel like you ----> I have to say there are many who don't and they will not allow you to drain them with an attitude like that coming INTO the Army. There is a saying that says "you pack your happiness with you where ever you go"... if you choose people with those tendencies (bitterness, continual loneliness, too much stress, etc...) you will have a really really tough and negative experience in the military. Everyone has their own stress levels - but if you believe yours are worse than anyone else then you are going to be MISERABLE - in the army or out.

I don't know what your life story is... but I will say that while J was in basic training/AIT (and I lived states away from any family) - I worked full time, had two kids, went through 2 miscarriages alone, had to sell our home - had to MOVE ourselves from TN to OH -and on top of all those "stressing things"- I did volunteer work with youth groups, and was involved in the music scene. I didn't go crying for my husband to come home or to quit all that he was working towards...

IF you serve others, and you put his feelings before your own needy tendencies - the stress you feel becomes less... and it is easier to cope with those stressers. There is no room for selfishness or pride. This is a stressful career... should you not want to be out of your comfort zone and experiencing the opportunities from it and quick personal growth------ THEN I suggest you make some serious changes. Or you won't last as a couple in the long run anyway...Best of luck to you.

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 07-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Brigadier General

Well said, Fireball.

A new soldier or any soldier for that matter does not need an at-home whiner. My wife went through it for 21 years in the Army. She didn't know me for the 6 years I was in the Navy but she said she worried the full 21 years & I never had a clue. She was always up when I talked to her & never let on that she was fretting. If there were troubles at home she would always handle it & tell me about them after the fact.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Well said, Fireball.

A new soldier or any soldier for that matter does not need an at-home whiner. My wife went through it for 21 years in the Army. She didn't know me for the 6 years I was in the Navy but she said she worried the full 21 years & I never had a clue. She was always up when I talked to her & never let on that she was fretting. If there were troubles at home she would always handle it & tell me about them after the fact.
Jason said that guys are just shocked when I don't care that he may work until 7pm/9pm... their wives are calling wanting them home at 5 and call frequently to see how long it will be until he is home. Do I LOVE that he works late - heck no... no one does... BUT THAT IS WHAT IS NEEDED and I understand during those times he'll work his butt off to get home as quick as possible. hahaha ESPECIALLY if he knows he has an understanding, loving wife. haha

Jason and I are very honest with eachother - and I will tell him what's up. However, I am very open with "but those are normal feelings and it all works out - it will be good. I am not REALLY worried about it - just need to vent. haha" I've probably mentioned it on here in another post, but when I went through my second miscarriage with him gone and I told J that I wished he could be here with me. The next day his blood pressure was so high and he wasn't able to breathe (panic attack I believe) and he got sent to the barracks for a sick day. I WAS SO MAD at him. He felt bad he couldn't be with me and I had to yell at him and tell him OBVIOUSLY he'd have to know I was fine on my own and that I would survive these types of ordeals. I told him how mad I was that he skipped class. Told him never to worry that much, etc... Although, I admit it was nice to be off together. hahahaha! I just didn't want him falling apart when I have challenges at home and he is away. We both laughed and he agreed. It's tough on everyone... but you get through things.

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 07-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Corporal

Thumbs up

Have to Agree totally with TxMom42, Fireball, & MSG Glenn! When anyone joins the Military, they are now Military! That's part of what Basic or "Boot Camp"(my Brothers were Navy) is about!! When my son went in I got a five minute surprise, phone call about 2 or 3 wks in! Eventually I got an address to write letters to, which I did just about everyday!! They weren't allowed e-mail at all! It is up to their sargeant to decide if they can call(years ago they weren't even aloud this!), send a letter, or read their mail! They are there to become Soldiers plain and simple! And no your missing him will not get him sent home, and honestly if you make him miserable instead of keeping your chin up, it may not bode well for him while he's in Basic!!! That I know of no one goes to visit during basic training, it is also not allowed. I'm sorry to sound so cold, but you have to decide to be supportive and strong for your boyfriend if you wn=ant the relationship to endure at all!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Private First Class

Default Easy for you to say...

I've been told all these things a million times before. I'm sure some of you know how it goes when you find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Well thats him for me. I tried so hard just to find a man that will wake up everyday and not mind my smelly breath. I found him and when he told me he wanted to join the army I collapsed. I have forgotten to tell you I am sixteen years old and he is eighteen. I told him several times that mentally and physically I can not go through with him being gone. Ive got two years of school left too finish up and I'm worried that with all the stress I will not be able to concentrate in school resulting in me failing. Going from being face to face everyday to hearing his voice once every few weeks is unbearable. I CANT EVEN LAST BCT! HOW AM I GOING TO LAST THREE YEARS!!!??? He decided to do this to give us a good start on life, but I don't need it. I'd be extremely happy even if we lived in a box as long as I can hear him tell me he loves me and feel his body against mine. At times I feel that I want to support him but mentally I cant, other times I want to tell him to come home because then I am assured that he is OK and I am happy. There should be nothing for him to regret because with him in the army or not our future is not a problem. If he's not then both our lives would be easier. I told him before he left that I could try to make this work but if it didn't work and I am the way I am now, and I asked him to come home, and he doesn't then I'm screwed over. Before he left he had the decision to not go, if he doesn't now then I don't know what the hell I'm going to do, because I knew it was gonna happen, and nothing pisses me off more then knowing I'm right before the fact of the matter. It pisses me off I love him so much. I WISH I DIDN'T because it causes problems like these, and then I am the one who gets hurt in the end because he wouldn't listen to me when I cried out. I wish you guys knew me because then it would all make sense, and you wouldn't be calling me whiny, self centered baby. Truth is you don't know my situation.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I doubt if he'll be able to do any e mailing. Use his personal e mail on the off chance he may be able to access a computer.

His first 9 weeks (possibly 10 now) will be spent in the BCT phase. After that he'll start 19D training. Combat Arms MOSs have OSUT which means One Station Unit Training. Basic & 19D are run together as one long course -same Drill SGTs, same buildings, etc.

My son had the same thing for Infantry basic at Ft. Benning.

Count on him being deployed. We're a nation at war.

He may be allowed to use a phone about halfway through the BCT phase for a few minutes. They're usually given a little time off on Sundays to go to the PX & there are phones there & he may be able to use the unit phone. Phone privileges vary from Drill SGT to Drill SGT, and class to class.

Don't rely on him quitting. There's a stigma attached that'll follow him the rest of his life.

Unless you're a dependant of his, i.e. his wife they won't let him quit for personal reasons. He signed a contract with the Army.

All I can say is right now at this time there are thousands of girlfriends going through exactly what you are. Not to mention wives, children, parents & other loved ones.

He'll come out a better man, this I can insure you.

What he needs most of all is your support. Try not to make it any harder than it is for him at this time.

His first 9 weeks (possibly 10 now) will be spent in the BCT phase. After that he'll start 19D training. Combat Arms MOSs have OSUT which means One Station Unit Training. Basic & 19D are run together as one long course -same Drill SGTs, same buildings, etc. <---- So when you say this does this mean he has 19 straight weeks of Basic? The only way I was going to be able to do this basic training bull was if after nine weeks I got to seem him because that would be the end of his basic and the next 9 weeks would be AIT. We were told thats how it was going to go. He called me a few days ago and said he has 19 full weeks of basic.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:15 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
Little communication... like MSG said...I was able to hear from my husband on Sundays and we would talk for no more than 15 minutes and at the beginning he was only allowed 3-5 minutes per call. MSG pretty much answered everything else...

As for your question... number 7... MSG said there are many that feel like you ----> I have to say there are many who don't and they will not allow you to drain them with an attitude like that coming INTO the Army. There is a saying that says "you pack your happiness with you where ever you go"... if you choose people with those tendencies (bitterness, continual loneliness, too much stress, etc...) you will have a really really tough and negative experience in the military. Everyone has their own stress levels - but if you believe yours are worse than anyone else then you are going to be MISERABLE - in the army or out.

I don't know what your life story is... but I will say that while J was in basic training/AIT (and I lived states away from any family) - I worked full time, had two kids, went through 2 miscarriages alone, had to sell our home - had to MOVE ourselves from TN to OH -and on top of all those "stressing things"- I did volunteer work with youth groups, and was involved in the music scene. I didn't go crying for my husband to come home or to quit all that he was working towards...

IF you serve others, and you put his feelings before your own needy tendencies - the stress you feel becomes less... and it is easier to cope with those stressers. There is no room for selfishness or pride. This is a stressful career... should you not want to be out of your comfort zone and experiencing the opportunities from it and quick personal growth------ THEN I suggest you make some serious changes. Or you won't last as a couple in the long run anyway...Best of luck to you.
Top Notch Advice Fire!!..... cant add anything to that!!...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"