armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2008, 06:18 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny13 View Post
Fitness is more than just physical. Don't lose sight of that.
I'm not insecure a bit, I'm just not into chest pounding. I'm comfortable where I'm at. I chose to be here and I chose when I leave.
I never said you were.... but I have to agree with Tacky, you seem to be doing allot of chest beating.... Im rather familiar with the concept of fitness, and if you dont have the physical fitness to meet all that is asked of you especially if others are in trouble, then there is a chance of catistrophic failure on your part. I understand that this varies from job to job, but personally, I would have a fitness level that would cancel out any risk of getting caught in a situation which I could not deliver.. even if that situation is very remote...

Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Staff Sergeant

back on topic for anyone who would like to know im 99% sure the requirements when you first enter are 17 situps (2min) 14 pushups (2min) and a mile run in 8:00 or 8:30min cant remember which but like everyone was saying here never shoot for the bottom. the apft score charts you can find over the web just by searching. id post whats min req. but it depends by age and male/female. Ive been trying to research as much info and basic as i can for a while now i'm still unable to meet req. due to the fact that i started out weighing 312.5lbs and am now down to 268.4lbs so I'm working my butt off a little each day .

Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool Keep up the good work...

I'm working at my unit now = on free time..40lbs weight loss..good job! Down to 268lbs.Outstanding...Another 35lbs or so.Your be on your way..Stay away from soda and fruit drinks..Only water..How old are you? You do realize there is a age group requirements? concerning P/T?. If not ..We can help..Hit us back and pm me..

Good Luck...
Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation. Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Staff Sergeant

yea only water i had a few swigs of pop a couple days ago it losses its appeal after so long like fast food almost makes me sick now. yea my goal is 240 currently but 230 would be acceptable ill start jogging a lot more after the next few weeks and thatll help drop it quick the only problem i have is pressups/ pushups can seriously do only 2. ive been working on my upper body more lately so hopefully soon ill see some improvement idk what it is i just always sucked at them but sit ups i can do 30-35 a min which isnt high but for my current weight i feel its okay.

oh btw will be 22 yoa in a couple of months

Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Brigadier General

That's right, Mike. Keep working on your PT. At 22 you should be able to knock those P/U, S/U out & run like a deer.

You'll get there. I wouldn't enlist until your PT is squared away. Then with a bit of DEP time you'll be good to go.

My son got out of the Army two weeks ago. He was an Army Ranger & they take their PT as a way of life. Since he's been out he's done his morning 5 mile run every day except 3. He works with free weights & Nautilus equipment on the 3 days a week he goes to Judo. In between times he does his P/Us & S/Us. He's also n the process of preparing one of our Judo students for entry in the Marine Corps.

I wouldn't say you have to be as hard core as that but you can see how a regimen of PT will stay with you. I wouldn't doubt if he does that for most of his life. I did. Of course I was in the Army for most of my life.

What MOS are you shooting for?

Good luck to you, Mike. Keep us informed of your progress towards your PT & enlistment process.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Brigadier General

Theres a lot of testosterone flying about in this thread.....i prefer the smell of estrogen in the morning

Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Theres a lot of testosterone flying about in this thread.....i prefer the smell of estrogen in the morning
:
I smell something & it's not testosterone!

Maybe you ought to get on in the afternoons!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
:
I smell something & it's not testosterone!

Maybe you ought to get on in the afternoons!
maybe you need a British sense of humour to understand that one.....

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Staff Sergeant

ya brits do have a funny sense of humor. yea i'm at the gym 5 days a week. current mos of choice is 11b but i would like 18x but i don't want to direct enlist into sf which i believe will make it a lot more difficult to pass selection. i also dont plan on enlisting til next summer so i get my technical degree which will also help increase my initial rank even if its just from e-1 to e-2. im also 6'4'' so that helps for my weight.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSD1986 View Post
ya brits do have a funny sense of humor. yea i'm at the gym 5 days a week. current mos of choice is 11b but i would like 18x but i don't want to direct enlist into sf which i believe will make it a lot more difficult to pass selection. i also dont plan on enlisting til next summer so i get my technical degree which will also help increase my initial rank even if its just from e-1 to e-2. im also 6'4'' so that helps for my weight.
career note...
Have you given much thought of staying in school and after graduating college going active?
If you have a choice..Officers Candidate School is the way to go...You need 90 credits...

It's a great option...

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation. Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.