armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Good points all around guys...For me my P/T score needs to be (300%) and beyond. It has always been huge. It will always be. We're soldier's. All professional ppl have certain requirements and standards. The Army has more.

I'm 22 years old. I better be 300% or beyond or something wrong. I know soldier's who are in their late 40's and their jacked. I pride myself on being the best fit soldier I can be. The Army's is my career choice. P/T training is a big part of my Army requirement and life style. I'm a professional soldier..My point is this..

I have reached and maintained the 300% P/T level and beyond..I won two awards..What's most important about my achievements is that my fit level is high and my fatigue level is low..Like all athletes /soldier's...If your fit level is high You can perform better because your fatigue factor doesn't hamper or drag you down..That said, Your decision making skills is sharper and you'll have a better chance of making it to the goal line late in the game.

Tacky, hits a home run again..He makes a great point. We take professional pride on how we look in our uniforms for the world to see..When we get together and do Infantry runs..We are all fit and ready. I take pride following the soldier's in front of me..We look and act like the professional's soldier's that we are..It's that easy. This is what I believe and how I feel.

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:09 PM
First Sergeant

Nightflyer, you weren't around when an SQT (Skills Qualification Test) was given to everyone E-1 and up. There was a time when that was just as important as a PT test. As a battery we would for-go PT for a week to have Sgt's time and we cramed for the SQT.
There are MOS's where PT is paramount, I will never argue that, but realistically what does your 300 on a PT test have to do with your ability to follow a dash 10 or 20. That is where the rubber meets the road. As SPC you don't have to take a SQT and there is no gauge to how well you can do your job (which is why you joined) except your PT score. You talk about your high PT scores, but never mention your ability to do your job. That should be your #1 priority especially when lives are on the line. Everything else is incidental.
I've seen the badge and glory hunters come and go, had a LT with a chest full of badges and a Ranger tab on his shoulder put 6 rounds 3200 out (thats 180 in the wrong direction) because in his "I know all there is to know" world he came from, he read a compass wrong.
I'm in the PT bracket where all I got to do is show up under my own power. Can I pass a PT test? sure, but I can also take a map and a compass and with some information, work up a firing solution for not one, but 8 howitzers. I can figure the deflection (azimuth), the quadrant (angle) the amount of powder and a fuse setting to put 8 rounds in the pocket and provide the fire support some poor Infantry unit needs. I can do all this while the weather is doing its thing and the earth is spinning. That more important to the grunt on the ground than my PT score. Never had SF call for a fire mission and ask me my last PT score. So it's not as simple as point and shoot. I learned all this over my years, it didn't come to me all at once. I'm content in knowing that what I do saves lives as long as I do it right. Unfortunately I'm no longer in a firing battery. I'm sitting in a training unit waiting to retire, and collect my check. I've earned it.
I guess the the long and short of it is, be a professional at your job, but keep your brass shined up.
Off my soap box now, to the OP, keep your PT scores up and you can be the SMA.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny13 View Post
Nightflyer, you weren't around when an SQT (Skills Qualification Test) was given to everyone E-1 and up. There was a time when that was just as important as a PT test. As a battery we would for-go PT for a week to have Sgt's time and we cramed for the SQT.
There are MOS's where PT is paramount, I will never argue that, but realistically what does your 300 on a PT test have to do with your ability to follow a dash 10 or 20. That is where the rubber meets the road. As SPC you don't have to take a SQT and there is no gauge to how well you can do your job (which is why you joined) except your PT score. You talk about your high PT scores, but never mention your ability to do your job. That should be your #1 priority especially when lives are on the line. Everything else is incidental.
I've seen the badge and glory hunters come and go, had a LT with a chest full of badges and a Ranger tab on his shoulder put 6 rounds 3200 out (thats 180 in the wrong direction) because in his "I know all there is to know" world he came from, he read a compass wrong.
I'm in the PT bracket where all I got to do is show up under my own power. Can I pass a PT test? sure, but I can also take a map and a compass and with some information, work up a firing solution for not one, but 8 howitzers. I can figure the deflection (azimuth), the quadrant (angle) the amount of powder and a fuse setting to put 8 rounds in the pocket and provide the fire support some poor Infantry unit needs. I can do all this while the weather is doing its thing and the earth is spinning. That more important to the grunt on the ground than my PT score. Never had SF call for a fire mission and ask me my last PT score. So it's not as simple as point and shoot. I learned all this over my years, it didn't come to me all at once. I'm content in knowing that what I do saves lives as long as I do it right. Unfortunately I'm no longer in a firing battery. I'm sitting in a training unit waiting to retire, and collect my check. I've earned it.
I guess the the long and short of it is, be a professional at your job, but keep your brass shined up.
Valid points.Nice post. My post had nothing to do with you.It was more about me. I take great pride in my job..I'm currently working as a 15p20 SQ 2 Aviation Ops. It'a position of responsibililty and I do it well. It is my #1 priority.My job and position is everything to me. I make a mistake and soldier's can die.I hear what your saying and understand your point, It's a good one.I like where I'm at at the moment and Im very good at it.. But I'm looking for much more down the road.That said, I hear you! I was explaining how important my P/T training is for me. Their are some soldier's who just past by in their P/T and that's ok.It's not for me. Most of us workout.The Infantry to the blackhawk pilots and crewchiefs to the soldier's in the shop.That said, I pass them by..I was a recruited college Varsity Ice Hockey player.It's tough training and it just all fell into place when I left for Bct.I had to follow strick rules during my off season workout program and schedule and had to fax it back to my coaching staff every sunday.It all fit together.I've been that way ever since.Now more then ever.Yes, All our jobs are important to us all.We all need to work at being the best we can. One day I 'm earning my Airborne Wings and more..I need to be in tip top shape..Cya..I have to get ready for work tomorrow..Oh, thanxs, Without you guys we'd all be in snafu. Thanxs, 13 bang bang / Gunbunny...

Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 06-08-2008 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

It's funny how all of this ranting has come about because a kid wanted to know the minimums to pass the 1-1-1 assessment to GET into basic. I tell him to focus on maxing the PT test and he won't have to worry about the assessment at all ... and suddently, the kid is not up to standard on a job he hasn't even been trained to do yet.

I'm seeing a bit of insecurity here .. maybe it's just me. <shrug>

Whatever it is .. it's kind of funny to see the overreactions on something as simple as maxing a PT test before leaving for basic training.

You need to get a grip.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Brigadier General

A little pride isn't all that bad. But yeah, Your right..

Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:

No doubt you are top of your game in your job Gunbunny, but If I called you in a fix and your fitness didnt deliver what I needed to survive... then whos *** do you think I would kick as a ghost!!....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 06-07-2008, 06:34 PM
First Sergeant

Fitness is more than just physical. Don't lose sight of that.
I'm not insecure a bit, I'm just not into chest pounding. I'm comfortable where I'm at. I chose to be here and I chose when I leave.

Last edited by Gunbunny13; 06-07-2008 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
I'm not insecure a bit, I'm just not into chest pounding. I'm comfortable where I'm at. I chose to be here and I chose when I leave.
All you've done in this thread is chest pound, over something really quite silly. Like I said, I don't know where your rant came from .. it certainly doesn't belong in this thread or for the topic the original poster asked about.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Brigadier General

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
No doubt you are top of your game in your job Gunbunny, but If I called you in a fix and your fitness didnt deliver what I needed to survive... then whos *** do you think I would kick as a ghost!!....
Man, this is great. I'm up at dawn..It's 0630 hrs. I have to report to duty in 1.5 and already laughing..... good one bro...

Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 06-08-2008 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
13 bang bang

You deserve it. Man, retirements a long way off for me..I have much to learn. I fixed my HD bike yesterday at the shop. I had to remove the back fender and rewire the stop & turns. I guess I'm a chest pounder..lol..It's 0700..I'm off to work...I have to report 0800.You bet..at some point today I'll be in our weight room or on the back pad doing P/T...Talk to you later...I have to walk my bike out the driveway and down the street..I don't want to wake the neighbors....

Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.