armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Private First Class

Question Sniper school

Hi i'm in the process of enlisting now. I have always wanted to be a sniper but have always lookd at USMC snipers. Could someone give me some insight on what mos to choose, what schools to attend and just the overall process of getting to and through sniper school. Just a little background i am a high school senior i'm in very good shape and scored a 88 on my ASVAB if that helps. Any information is appreciated. Thank you

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Brigadier General

The best (only?) MOS to become a sniper is 11B. Try to find the requirements on Google but I think you have to be an NCO to apply. I know it's not an enlistment option. It's a tough school physically & mentally & there's a huge fail rate, maybe even more so than Ranger School. The biggest reason that students fail is failure to correctly estimate distance.

That was a reenlistment option my son was thinking of when he was in the 3rd Ranger Batt. He was put in for the school before he got out because he consistently shot near perfect scores with all weapons & he was a SGT but he decided to leave active duty & didn't have enough time left on his enlistment to attend.

What did your Recruiter say about Sniper School & when he thought you could apply?
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

If you want to be a sniper in the USMC, you need to be handpicked considering your MOS and marksmanship qualification. Ask a recruiter what the best path is to attend Scout/Sniper School.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Private First Class

My recruiter told me he believed i have to be 20+ years old as with any special forces mos. He told me it is a handpicked school and the shooting aspect i am not as worried about as the pure chance of attending the school. I have been competetively shooting for eight years and am a good shot. I would just really like to know the "timeline" more or less from enlistment as 11 bravo to making it to sniper school. Anyone who has been through this process who could explain the process would be very helpfull.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
The best (only?) MOS to become a sniper is 11B.
18 series as well.

Requirements for the Ft. Benning Basic Sniper Course (B4 course) are as follows:

1. Volunteer: Must be a volunteer with Commanders recommendation (Non-waiverable)
2. Rank: E-3 trough E-7 (All other ranks waiverable through the Course Convening Authority’s approval).
3. APFT: Minimum of 70% in each event in your age group (APFT will be given on class start date, and is Non-waiverable). Over 40 must have physical clearance for PT. NO PROFILES!
4. Physical exam: current physical exam within 2 years (previously 1 year)
5. Psychological Evaluation: Within 6 months (Non-waiverable)
6. CMF: 11B, 11M, and all 18 series (Non-waiverable)
7. GT SCORE: 100 or higher (Non-waiverable)
8. Weapons Qualification: Consistent Expert with M16A1/M16A2 rifle (Non-waiverable)
9. Retainability: 1 year minimum from course end date ( Non-waiverable)
10. Vision: 20/200 correctable to 20/20 Normal color vision (Non-waiverable)
11. Discipline: No history of drug or alcohol abuse. No history of disciplinary actions (Non-waiverable).
12. Dependable: Must be capable of working alone under adverse conditions for extended periods of time.
13. All students must be in accordance with AR 600-9.

Units will decide who they send to the course through a variety of means, typically try outs based on overall performance; attitude, job performance, shooting ability, physical ability, etc. There is no guarantee you will attend the course .. so if you enlist, I suggest you do so with the idea that you may not get to attend and be willing to suck it up and drive on. The Army makes no promises.

I would also advise you to worry more about learning how to be an infantryman before jumping on to the basic sniper course. Do not put the cart before the horse and do not let your ego get the better of you.

Enjoy the Army.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Brigadier General

Hi Tacky! How could I have forgotten the 18 series??

Otherwise thanks for the information.

Are you back online permanently now?
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Hi Tacky! How could I have forgotten the 18 series??

Otherwise thanks for the information.

Are you back online permanently now?
Easy to miss, being so sneaky and all.

Back for now ... probably going to have a quick turn around on this one so I'm not sure how long I'll be home.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Private First Class

Thank you sir for the information. VERY helpful.