armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Private First Class

Default Tourist jailed 'for being black'

A man wrongly accused of being an illegal immigrant may have been singled out just for being black, an Equality Commission spokeswoman has said.
Frank Kakopa has been paid 7,500 after the Immigration Service wrongly held him in prison for two days.

Mr Kakopa, originally from Zimbabwe, was on a short break with his wife and young children in 2005, when he was stopped at Belfast City Airport.

He had proof he lived in England but was still strip-searched and jailed.

His work manager had also confirmed both his legal residency and employment position.

Eileen Lavery from the Equality Commission said she had concerns over why Mr Kakopa was singled out and held in Maghaberry Prison near Lisburn, as he had "an enormous amount of documentation".

"Why pick on him? Other than I think because he is black," she said.

Mr Kakopa, a structural engineer, said the experience still haunted him.

His family were left at the airport and Mr Kakopa said he had no idea what had happened to them.

"They wouldn't allow me to make phone calls - I was actually detached from the world," he said.

"I did not know where my kids were taken to.

"It is still difficult to believe that what was supposed to be a relaxing break for my family turned out to be our worst nightmare.

"I was locked up with convicted criminals, having committed no crime, while my wife and young children were left abandoned at the airport of a strange country worrying about where I was and how I was being treated."

The Equality Commission took on the case alleging false imprisonment and discrimination.

In an out-of-court settlement, the Immigration Service admitted false imprisonment and apologised to Mr Kakopa and his family.

They also agreed to discuss their practices with the Equality Commission.

The Home Office said in a statement that it did not comment on individual cases.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Private First Class

This could never have happened prior to 9/11 . What are we doing?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Projectionist View Post
This could never have happened prior to 9/11 . What are we doing?
There must have been something other than his race that made him a "target". I do agree however, the circumstances were unfortunate for him and his family.

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 10-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
There must have been something other than his race that made him a "target". I do agree however, the circumstances were unfortunate for him and his family.
If he'd stayed in Zimbabwe there wouldn't have been any problem!!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
If he'd stayed in Zimbabwe there wouldn't have been any problem!!
OH good LORD! You must be one of the writers of "The Office"....

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=I5lDVAtxfdk[/url]

-Fireball

Old 10-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Sergeant

Yeh this patriot **** needs to be looked at. Good guys become bad guys and then the whole world just caves in.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Theirs been many cases of Americans, and British citizens being held against their will for security reasons...It's the new age we live in.....It's a shame it had to happen to Mr. K and his family.....But in the end it all worked out. In a third world country this press release would never had been heard.....Period. That said. I do belive our efforts would be best served against the enemy!!! but how in a public place ? do we single out just a few because their muslims or do we single out anyone who acts in a su****ion manner.....

I doubt he was singled out cus he was black but more so cus he was looked at as possibly an illegal.....A huge security problem in most countries.....

Im not saying this is right but only why it went down in the first place. Therefore.. the authorities felt the need to question him in a secured place and manner......

It's unfortunate.....

Nightflyer.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 10-28-2007 at 05:38 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
Theirs been many cases of Americans, and British citizens being held against their will for security reasons...It's the new age we live in.....It's a shame it had to happen to Mr. K and his family.....But in the end it all worked out. In a third world country this press release would never had been heard.....Period. That said. I do belive our efforts would be best served against the enemy!!! but how in a public place ? do we single out just a few because their muslims or do we single out anyone who acts in a su****ion manner.....

I doubt he was singled out cus he was black but more so cus he was looked at as possibly an illegal.....A huge security problem in most countries.....

Im not saying this is right but only why it went down in the first place. Therefore.. the authorities felt the need to question him in a secured place and manner.....that was their mistake.

If Mr K had his passport and his papers and everything was in order? then at that point he and his family should have been allowed to move on peacefully......It's very unfortunate.....

Nightflyer.
Totally agree...

-Fireball

Old 10-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post

Im not saying this is right but only why it went down in the first place. Therefore.. the authorities felt the need to question him in a secured place and manner.....that was their mistake.

If Mr K had his passport and his papers and everything was in order? then at that point he and his family should have been allowed to move on peacefully......It's very unfortunate.....

Nightflyer.
Well al quds and his gang don't tend to be white so maybe it was because he was black. Hey and maybe they just didn't like the smell of his ****!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heama View Post
Hey and maybe they just didn't like the smell of his ****!
Yea, that and maybe his past.....illegals tend to have them.

Nightflyer. Highspeed.
Army Aviation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.