armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Recruit

Exclamation Help!!!!!!-Breaking Lease Issues

Hello to all you helpers.

My husband is finishing up his training at Fort Benning right now. Then we are relocating to Fort Meade in MD. We really look forward to our new life in the military but unfortunately everything is SO confusing!!! My landlord is giving me the hardest time which doesn't make anything easier.

This is what he needs which I hope someone can guide me to the answer.

An official document or writing stating that spouses are dependents. I have seen on other forums that the answer is indeed yes but he needs an official statement in writing. Does anyone know where I could find that? (We got married after we signed our lease, I have a power of attorney but he still views me as just a roommate and doesn't want to accept my marriage certificate)

Thank you a million times over for any help.

Leah

Old 05-06-2009, 02:53 PM
First Lieutenant

You need to provide the landlord with a copy of your husbands orders or his contract should suffice.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
You need to provide the landlord with a copy of your husbands orders or his contract should suffice.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for the speedy reply.
I already supplied him with the orders, the power of attorney letter, a copy of the Soldiers and Sailors Act, my marriage license etc. He needs to see actual documentation that I am a dependent of my husband according to the military, not on taxes, and that this will indeed apply to me as well. Do you know where I could find proof that spouses are considered as dependents?

thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default Lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post

Refer your Landlord to the Servicemans and Sailors releif act. I fhe continues running his mouth then tell him to contact a attorney and when he does, JAG will shut him down in about 1/2 second. Give him your hubbies orders and tell him to STFU!!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:00 PM
First Lieutenant

You're going to want to wait until someone with more knowledge chimes in. But I don't believe any of that other stuff he is requesting is necessary. I think he is just grasping at straws because he is losing a tenant. Legally, to break a lease (to my miniscule knowledge) all he should need is what you've already given him.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 PM
First Lieutenant

Woop, someone beat me to it.