armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
My soldier got his deployment orders at least a month before he got out of BCT. It tore me up pretty bad because I was already really missing him, and then to find out when and where he was going shortly after coming home....it was bad and really scary. But it will be fine--not as much going on in Korea, and South Korea is much safer than North Korea.
Oh, ****ing wonderful.

Well, I know Mike is getting deployed. His damn recruiter called me the other day and was like "If I told you Michael was going to b deployed a few months after OSUT, how would you feel? what would you do?"

There are pros and cons to everything.. Although Korea is mostly pros, I tend to look at cons.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
Oh, ****ing wonderful.

Well, I know Mike is getting deployed. His damn recruiter called me the other day and was like "If I told you Michael was going to b deployed a few months after OSUT, how would you feel? what would you do?"

There are pros and cons to everything.. Although Korea is mostly pros, I tend to look at cons.
How is it that people get calls from their bf's recruiters? You are the third or fourth person who has told me they got a call from their bf's recruiter! Whats up with that?? Do you know what camp yet that Mike will be at?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
How is it that people get calls from their bf's recruiters? You are the third or fourth person who has told me they got a call from their bf's recruiter! Whats up with that?? Do you know what camp yet that Mike will be at?
Well, I went to that recruiter with him several times.. the guy knows I'm very much involved, and I guess was being considerate?? Idk..

He didn't say that Mike was going to be deployed for sure, he just asked me a question.. So if/when he does get deployed, I have no idea when or where he'll go.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Well, I went to that recruiter with him several times.. the guy knows I'm very much involved, and I guess was being considerate?? Idk..

He didn't say that Mike was going to be deployed for sure, he just asked me a question.. So if/when he does get deployed, I have no idea when or where he'll go.
Ah ok. Well, it certainly sounds like there is a very good chance he is going to be deployed soon. It will be ok--I'm surviving my first deployment right now, and I have to say, it hasn't been all bad. The distance has definitely brought us much closer, and it has given me a chance to get much closer to my friends (support when I do get lonely). Let me know when he gets his orders--I'll be here for you!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
Oh, ****ing wonderful.

Your boyfriend's recruiter wouldn't know that he is getting deployed. A lot of DS and Recruiters tell Soldiers that to get them prepared for the possibility but no one knows until they get to their duty station and sign into the unit.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
He's already received deployment orders???

Isn't he still in BCT?
Korea isn't a combat deployment, it's a permanent change of station, that's why a Soldier can find out while still in training that they are going there.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Ah ok. Well, it certainly sounds like there is a very good chance he is going to be deployed soon. It will be ok--I'm surviving my first deployment right now, and I have to say, it hasn't been all bad. The distance has definitely brought us much closer, and it has given me a chance to get much closer to my friends (support when I do get lonely). Let me know when he gets his orders--I'll be here for you!
I'm looking at his OSUT as a sort of deployment prep. If we can handle this, with no phone calls, and him not receiving my letters, then we can handle a deployment. It hasn't been all too bad for me. I miss him a lot, and a lot of times I'm afraid to go to sleep because I dream of him. At first the dreams were good, like a visit with him.. Now when I dream, I know in my dream that I'm dreaming and it makes me miss him more.

i just keep myself busy and write to him a lot.. it makes it tons easier.

and thanks

Old 05-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Korea isn't a combat deployment, it's a permanent change of station, that's why a Soldier can find out while still in training that they are going there.
oh, okay. I thought they all worked the same way, lol.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
What do you mean (well, what does it mean in general) by "permanent change of station"? Like...i'm not even sure what that means for the rest of the time he is in the Army...

Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
What do you mean (well, what does it mean in general) by "permanent change of station"? Like...i'm not even sure what that means for the rest of the time he is in the Army...
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) means he goes from one installation to another. In civilian terms, he moves. When a Soldier is deployed, he goes from his home duty station (where he is assigned) to an area temporarily but he continues to be assigned to that duty station. When you PCS, you make a complete move. Does that make sense?