armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Recruit

Default Five Quick Questions

I'm sorry if some of these seem alittle pointless, just curiosity. Im part of the military.com forums as well and if they dont feel the question is important, nobody answers you over there. Anyways..

1) Is it true you take some sort of boxing class while in basic?

2) Do you really have to learn to put an IV in people (and vise versa) while there? If so, is it as bad as it sounds. Im not scared of needles, I just don't like the idea of someone with NO medical expierence (including myself) sticking needles in peoples veins.

3) What are the sleeping conditions like. In the summer time, are the barracks A/Ced? IN the winter do they have heat?

4) How much shooting do you actually do there? I dont mean "you have a week of shooting", I mean do you have like 5, 10, 15 hours of individual time on the range? Does everyone just shoot the M16?

5) If while in basic and you excel in marksmanship, can the Army push you to change your MOS to a field were your ability would be more utilized?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Brigadier General

Try

[URL="http://www.army.com/enlist/basic-training.html"]http://www.army.com/enlist/basic-training.html[/URL]

That should give you the info you need.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Recruit

I came here to ask those that have first hand experience.

Thanks though

Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Brigadier General

Well excuse me. I don't think there are any of those critters here anymore.

The only info is recent info as BCT evolves & one going to Infantry OSUT might have it slightly different than one taking the BCT to AIT route.

Those who have recently graduated from BCT are now in the Army system & more than likely deployed and are unlikely to be able to get online.

Just thought I'd give you food for thought in the interim.

Forget that I even answered you.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus View Post
I'm sorry if some of these seem alittle pointless, just curiosity. Im part of the military.com forums as well and if they dont feel the question is important, nobody answers you over there. Anyways..

1) Is it true you take some sort of boxing class while in basic? No it's not true, you do some hand to hand combatives at some point but it's not in depth training.

2) Do you really have to learn to put an IV in people (and vise versa) while there? If so, is it as bad as it sounds. Im not scared of needles, I just don't like the idea of someone with NO medical expierence (including myself) sticking needles in peoples veins. No, you are referring to the Combat Life Saver Course which is done at the unit level and even then not every Soldier goes through it.

3) What are the sleeping conditions like. In the summer time, are the barracks A/Ced? IN the winter do they have heat? We are in the 21st Century, they have heat and AC.

4) How much shooting do you actually do there? I dont mean "you have a week of shooting", I mean do you have like 5, 10, 15 hours of individual time on the range? Does everyone just shoot the M16? The M16 is the weapon that trainees shoot. You do get to do some crew served weapons but the primary focus is the M16. The reality is yes, you have a week to 10 days of BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) it's is not broke down into hours, they train, train and you qualify.

5) If while in basic and you excel in marksmanship, can the Army push you to change your MOS to a field were your ability would be more utilized? No, you stick with the MOS that you signed up for.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
Hope those answers satisfy you.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:

Thanks though

Look...manners cost nothing...A well respected member goes out of their way to try and put you on the right path and you respond in a condescending manner....You cant just wander on here and expect people to drop everything and make YOU number one priority....be thankful for the help you do get cos if you are not ......people wont bother the next time

I hope the info from Armygirl is satisfactory and sets you right

Like I said manners cost nothing
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:

Thanks though
I hope you're a child because I've only seen manners like that come from children.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Staff Sergeant

I think you are taking it the wrong way, he didn't mean for it to sound like that, I don't think so anyway.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceoftheVoiceless View Post
I think you are taking it the wrong way, he didn't mean for it to sound like that, I don't think so anyway.

It was put how it was put....He/She should be more careful how they word things because it sounded VERY condescending to me....anyway ...stay in your own lane voice
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Recruit

I'm not quite sure why my reply was considered rude and condescending? All I said was I was just looking for a reply from someone that was recently gone through it. I appreciate the link you replied with, but It didn't answer ANY of my questions.. It was VERY vague and I was looking for more in depth answers. Yes ArmyGirls reply was helpful and much appreciated.

BTW, I didn't expect/ask anyone to drop anything and help me. I simple came on a message board designed for these exact kind of questions and asked them. That is all. If that bothered you, perhaps you're just a little to sensitive.