armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Recruit

Default Veteran with employment woes, need help or advice....

Greetings to this fine community. I spent nearly 5 years on active duty US Army from 91-95. I also have 10 year of industrial design/exhibit design/graphic design experience. Currently, I am down on my luck, having been out of work since April. I thought about joining the police force or the Army Reserves, however I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back. I had surgery in March, and I doubt I could pass a physical.

So, I've gone up and down using employment resources in my own profession as well as many, many others. I check USAJobs regularly. I've even gone for security guard positions and other lines of work. But to no avail, I am feeling it is all useless. I am good at what I do, and have no negatives against me. I have exhausted all of my known resources.

I am at the point where I don't know what to do. Going back into the Army is kind of moot because of my back problems.

Can somebody offer any advice or point me toward some good job resource? Monster, Hot Jobs and Career Builder aren't getting me anywhere. I feel quite dejected.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Brigadier General

It seems peculiar to me that there aren't any security jobs available. I'm a licensed Armed Security Officer working at a plant that manufactures sensitive equipment for the Army & Marine Corps. The contract with the military is about to dry up, the company will be getting out of the manufacturing business & my job will end (unless they need someone to guard an empty building, possible due to insurance considerations). People were made aware of this via the grapevine & I've already been offered a job as a campus cop, raise in pay & going from CPL to SGT, maybe LT.

I also hold a private detective license (armed) which allows me to work as a bodyguard amongst other jobs in that field.

Of course I live in a fairly large metro area, Milwaukee, & security is in demand here. Mostly it's unarmed so the pay is a bit less. I think I'm getting about a buck an hour more to carry a weapon.

What Security Agencies have you applied at? My guess is Securitas is the largest with maybe Wackenhut following. Securitas is the old Pinkerton/Burns.

I only work 2 days a week, Thurs. & Fri. as I'm retired military & semi-retired from the civilian sector.

Are there any courses offered in your area for some other field you might be interested in? You could take a Criminal Justice course & apply at police & sheriff's departments. See if you have any education benefits left from your military service. Also see what the hiring practices are for PDs in your area.

My son recently left active duty from the 3rd Ranger Batt & is attending an Associate degree course in criminal justice. His school is being payed for by the Montgomery GI Bill & is getting payed a stipend of over $1200/month to attend plus unemployment comp which will be in effect until next May plus - he's in a Reserve unit & gets paid for that as well on top of the $10,000 bonus & a guarantee not to be deployed for 2 years. That's what the gov. is doing for combat vets these days.

OR - you could come back in the Army, choose the MOS you want or go back to the one you held. Take an all-expense-payed trip to Iraq or Afghanistan, get payed in the process, meals & lodging thrown in & when you get out you can reap the benefits. That is if your back allows. I imagine the PD would have a pretty vigorous physical, too.

Have you checked with the VA? There might be some programs available to you especially if you were in Desert Storm, I imagine. Also check with your state Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Maybe retraining or help in gaining employment? I have no idea.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 10-30-2008 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Bad Spelling.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Staff Sergeant

Smile

Lets be clear hear msg glenn,
he wants to know what he can do not about your work history and what you can or will do. Self rightous is all good but plz save it for someone who cares. For 1 did you get injured on the job? If so you should be able to be medically treated at the companies expense as well as retrained for a new position. All through the employment benefits department

Old 11-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boys66 View Post
Lets be clear hear msg glenn,
he wants to know what he can do not about your work history and what you can or will do. Self rightous is all good but plz save it for someone who cares. For 1 did you get injured on the job? If so you should be able to be medically treated at the companies expense as well as retrained for a new position. All through the employment benefits department
OK snipass- just letting him know that at this time security is one of the fastest growing fields. Not trying to be self-righteous at all. He already said he tried to get a security position to no avail. I find that hard to believe in this day & age, especially for a veteran. Could it be his health problems? As of today I have 4 offers with 3 different Security Agencies. They somehow know that my job is drying up with the completion of the gov. contract.
Retired MSG

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 11-04-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Staff Sergeant

Talking

Wolf Star,

If you really want to help yourself try listening to a recording because obviously you don't understand simple english. Best of all try to apply at a 7 eleven you can stand at the door and hand out free slurpies when people fill up!!!!!!!!

Don't post your stupid azz sob story again we have seen it in the same version under different names now

Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Brigadier General

Notice how time & time again someone comes on site asking questions & never acknowledge receiving any reply as to whether they even read any responses.

That's why I won't take a person's problems too seriously until I get a reply.

If he couldn't get a job in security he must be a basket case or so far out in the sticks that there's nothing to guard.
Retired MSG

Old 11-07-2008, 05:18 AM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
If he couldn't get a job in security he must be a basket case or so far out in the sticks that there's nothing to guard.

Riiiight. I have been pretty busy doing some freelance stuff and this forum is not part of my day to day routine. Judging from responses such as this, I don't think it will be part of a daily routine.

Sorry I even bothered to register here, carry on.