armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Colonel

Default Week of Suffering

I was watching a docu. on Vimy the other day and they said that Germans still know the Canadian artillery bombardment of Vimy as the week of suffering. True?

Over 7 days we dropped over a million rounds of heavy artillery fire. I wanted to break that down.

I hate math, but I think that would be roughly 100 rounds per minute for a week. Whiped out 80% of defenses. Week of suffering indeed. I wonder, if you are among the 20% to still be alive after day 7...how do your ears feel.

The show was an hour and a half long. Don't remember what it was called. It was awesome. We built a labrinth under that place. Our soldiers carved our flag all over the place into the tunnells they dug. They are still there.

I love it, I love it. 200 000+ people died trying and then we got mad at them.

Canada, with a population of only 7.8 million managed to send over 600 000 troops to WW1. 49% of our population (roughly) was male. That number was smaller after the war of course. That's a large junk of able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 40 who went to fight. Imagine a war today that required such numbers to win. Madness. Scary.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Colonel

I didn't mean to post twice. sry

Old 04-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Second Lieutenant

I have read an article about the battle of vimy un chef d'oeuvre stratégique made in canada moreover the area surrounding the monument of vimy is a part of canadian territory today.