User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Colonel

Default End of an old ally

Saddam: the end
By Toby Harnden in Washington and Graeme Baker
Last Updated: 3:13am GMT 30/12/2006

Saddam was convicted in November of slaughtering 148 Shia Muslims in Dujail in 1982
BIG DEAL

Saddam Hussein was hanged early today for his crimes against humanity. The former dictator of Iraq was hooded, led to the gallows in Baghdad's fortified Green Zone, which houses his former presidential palace, before being executed without ceremony in front of Iraqi and American officials.
HIPHIP HURRAH, ROAD TO RECOVERY HERE WE COME. THE OFFICIALS MUST FEEL VERY PROUD AND BRAVE

His fate was sealed yesterday when the prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, swept aside wrangling inside the government to sign his death warrant and he was handed over by the Americans to face Iraqi justice.
MALIKI WANTED TO ACHIEVE SOMETHING I GUESS, WHATS ANOTHER DEATH UNDER HIS BELT

Saddam, 69, was sentenced to death in November with his half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti and Awad Ahmed al-Bandar al-Sadun, a Saddam regime judge, for slaughtering 148 Shia Muslims in the village of Dujail in 1982. It is believed his co-accused were also executed this morning.
FECK, IM GLAD SOMEONE LIKE GEORGE W. BUSH ISN'T REPONSIBLE FOR 148 PEOPLE DYING OR WE'D HAVE TO EXECUTE THAT AS.S HAT TOO.

His execution followed a day of confusion in Baghdad, with members of the government contradicting each other about its timing. But the transfer of Saddam from American to Iraqi custody meant his death was imminent.
CONFUSION IN BAGHDAD? DID I READ THAT RIGHT?

A late appeal by his lawyers to a US court not to allow Saddam to be handed over because of a pending civil case in America was in vain. Mr Maliki signed his death sentence after approval from the president, Jalal Talabani, and the justice ministry.
TALABANI, WHAT A SHI.TTY NAME TO HAVE FOR SOMEONE WHO HATES THE TALIBAN lol

The prime minister told the families of some of Saddam's victims: "Our respect for human rights means we must implement the execution of Saddam and his aides. Those who reject Saddam's execution are undermining the dignity of the martyrs of Iraq. After the endorsement of the court ruling, no one can prevent the execution sentence against Saddam. There will be neither a revision nor a delay in the implementation of the execution."
RESPECT FOR HUMAN RIGHTS. YES, THATS IT. EXACTLY.

The hanging was a landmark in Iraq's turbulent history. Saddam, who became president in 1979, was toppled after the US-led invasion of Iraq in April 2003 and captured hiding in a hole eight months later.

In his 15ft by 15ft cell at Camp Cropper, a US military base next to Baghdad international airport, Saddam would have picked up clues that his time was imminent. On Thursday, two of his half brothers visited him and took away some of his meagre belongings.

Khalil al-Dulaimi, his lawyer, claimed that the dictator's death would be a strategic mistake on the part of the American-led allies and the trigger for a sharp rise in violence "and the eruption of a destructive civil war".
GOOD. EXECUTE BUSH AND SEE IF THE AMERICANS GET PISSY. BET YA', YA' DO. WELL, HALF OF YOU ANYWAY. WHICH IS A GREAT SPLIT FOR A CIVIL WAR

Brig Gen Abdel Karim Khalaf, the head of the interior ministry command centre, said Iraqi forces were on high alert. "Certainly, this is a big event, putting into effect the execution of this serial killer. We will take measures proportionate to this event. We will put all our forces on the streets so no lives are jeopardised." Senior US officers were also on a high state of alert.
IF PUTTING ALL THE FORCES ON THE GROUND STOPS LIVES FROM BEING IN JEAPARDY, THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD KEEP HAVING THOSE FORCES ON THE GROUND. SERIAL KILLER? SERIAL KILLER?

Iraqi Shia, who were persecuted by Saddam for decades, celebrated his demise.

In the Shia holy city of Najaf, Sheikh Sadralddin al-Qubanji, described Saddam's execution as "God's gift to Iraqis" during his Friday sermon.

"Oh, God, you know what Saddam has done. He killed millions of Iraqis in prisons, in wars with neighbouring countries and he is responsible for mass graves. Oh God, we ask you to take revenge on Saddam."

LETS DO SOME HOMEWORK. WHO, IS RESPONSIBLE FOR KILLING MORE THAN 148 PEOPLE?

Old 12-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Colonel

AND YET, WE HAVE THIS STORY. MORE CONFUSION OUT OF BAGHDAD.

Saddam bids brothers farewell

CONDEMNED MAN: According to one report, the former Iraqi president could go to the gallows today, but one of his defense lawyers said he was in `high spirits'

AGENCIES, BAGHDAD
Saturday, Dec 30, 2006, Page 7
Saddam Hussein bade two half brothers farewell on Thursday as he awaits execution, a lawyer said, but US and Iraqi officials gave conflicting accounts of whether he would hang within days.

A senior US official said the ousted president could go to the gallows as soon as today.

But Iraqi officials backed away from suggestions they would definitely hang him within a month and a Cabinet minister said a week-long religious holiday would stall any execution.

"He was in very high spirits and clearly readying himself," Badie Aref, a defense lawyer, said after the 69-year-old former Iraqi leader met half-brothers Watban and Sabawi, who are also both held at the US army's Camp Cropper near Baghdad airport.

"He told them he was happy he would meet his death at the hands of his enemies and be a martyr, not just languish in jail," Aref said. "He ... gave them letters to his family in anticipation."

The novelty of the US-sponsored process by which Saddam and his third half-brother Barzan, along with another senior member of the Baath party, were condemned on Nov. 5 has left considerable room for wrangling over the timing of any execution among rival factions and between Washington and Baghdad.

Battling to stave off all-out sectarian civil war, Shiite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki had said he wanted Saddam hanged this year for the killings, torture and other crimes against the Shiite population of the town of Dujail.

But some of Saddam's fellow Sunnis have warned this could reinforce their community's alienation and many ethnic Kurds want Saddam first convicted of genocide against them.

Iraq's Saddam-era penal code bars executions on religious holidays. Eid al-Adha, coinciding with the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, runs from yesterday until work resumes on Jan. 7.

Nonetheless, the US official said: "I've heard that it's going to be a couple more days, probably."

US and Iraqi authorities have said Saddam must be handed over to Iraqi officials prior to his execution.

Armand Cucciniello, a spokesman for the US embassy in Baghdad, said he could not confirm whether Saddam had been transferred to Iraqi authorities.

"It's up to the government of Iraq to carry out the execution," Cucciniello said.

CBS News reported a US military officer said Saddam would be turned over to the Iraqis within the next 36 hours.

The Iraqi minister said: "There is a debate over whether the president's signature is needed. Some insist the next step should be the president's signature. Others say it's not needed."

"The clock is ticking but Saddam is not just any old guy," he said. "There are procedures to be followed. Now it's Eid and the hajj and it will take time to carry out the sentence."

The US military on Thursday reported five more deaths, bringing the US death toll to 100 for this month so far and just short of 3,000 after nearly four years of war.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:19 AM
General of the Armies

Well its good to see the US media are reporting fact in a clear and conceise manner....

Saddam was a monster and Im sure is not dead yet, but when he dies, I will not be shedding any tears for him....

As for the other monsters in our world..... theres many ways to skin a cat (excuse the pun), albeit one at a time.... replacement with a good and competant man is good enough for me.... I dont think sending all our world leaders to the gallows will solve anything save some personal frustrations at how our world has being manipulated by those with darker motives then they portray to the naked eye.... however, we too can change things to make a brighter day.... support the other guy who promises a better way... hell run for congress or parliment yourself if you think you can do it.... The possibilities are endless...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Colonel

This is all going about as expected.

The fellow who aloud the world to see the truth of the hanging is now...you guessed it...under arrest.

God love the truth. GOD LOVE LIBERALS AND LIBERALISM.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sence View Post
This is all going about as expected.

The fellow who aloud the world to see the truth of the hanging is now...you guessed it...under arrest.

God love the truth. GOD LOVE LIBERALS AND LIBERALISM.
Having it on the morning news was wrong...

Were supposed to be progressing as a civilisation, not going back to the Dark Ages....

That said, I still wont be shedding any tears for Saddam....

On a lighter note, got a txt from an old army buddy..... "Saddam here, sorry couldnt make your New Years Party, but I was hung over..... " .... The Jokes are reaching new levels of sarcasm...

Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

I would have let Saddam suffer......hes one of the most evil men in modern times......Iraq the ME and the world is better off without him

Old 01-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj100 View Post
I would have let Saddam suffer......hes one of the most evil men in modern times......Iraq the ME and the world is better off without him
One of the most evil men in modern times was a good friend of the west when it served them.

There is as much evil on our doorstep.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
One of the most evil men in modern times was a good friend of the west when it served them.

There is as much evil on our doorstep.
Very true... but Evil is very fluid in its form, and mislabelling people/parties/govts is a common mistake.... However, I know whom you refer to, and dont agree hes the same as Saddam.... Incompetent & open to Manipulation = yes, pure Evil = No....

Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Very true... but Evil is very fluid in its form, and mislabelling people/parties/govts is a common mistake.... However, I know whom you refer to, and dont agree hes the same as Saddam.... Incompetent & open to Manipulation = yes, pure Evil = No....
Actually I'm not making a comparison. I just wanted to point out that when it served "us" we were lead to believe Saddam was a good guy helping to figt Iranian interests. He was the same person then, as he was when we hung him I suspect.

I don't believe Bush and Saddam are similar. Not much anyway. Everyone has similarities to some point though I guess.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Actually I'm not making a comparison. I just wanted to point out that when it served "us" we were lead to believe Saddam was a good guy helping to figt Iranian interests. He was the same person then, as he was when we hung him I suspect.

I don't believe Bush and Saddam are similar. Not much anyway. Everyone has similarities to some point though I guess.
Fair enough... yea we can see similiarities in all of us if we look hard enough.... Lets hope they are good ones...