armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Major General

Default Bush setting America up for war with Iran

By Philip Sherwell in New York and Tim Shipman in Washington

Senior American intelligence and defence officials believe that President George W Bush and his inner circle are taking steps to place America on the path to war with Iran, The Sunday Telegraph has learnt.
Pentagon planners have developed a list of up to 2,000 bombing targets in Iran, amid growing fears among serving officers that diplomatic efforts to slow Iran's nuclear weapons programme are doomed to fail.
Pentagon and CIA officers say they believe that the White House has begun a carefully calibrated programme of escalation that could lead to a military showdown with Iran.
Now it has emerged that Condoleezza Rice, the secretary of state, who has been pushing for a diplomatic solution, is prepared to settle her differences with Vice-President Dick Cheney and sanction military action.In a chilling scenario of how war might come, a senior intelligence officer warned that public denunciation of Iranian meddling in Iraq - arming and training militants - would lead to cross border raids on Iranian training camps and bomb factories.
A prime target would be the Fajr base run by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Quds Force in southern Iran, where Western intelligence agencies say armour-piercing projectiles used against British and US troops are manufactured.
Under the theory - which is gaining credence in Washington security circles - US action would provoke a major Iranian response, perhaps in the form of moves to cut off Gulf oil supplies, providing a trigger for air strikes against Iran's nuclear facilities and even its armed forces.
Senior officials believe Mr Bush's inner circle has decided he does not want to leave office without first ensuring that Iran is not capable of developing a nuclear weapon.
The intelligence source said: "No one outside that tight circle knows what is going to happen." But he said that within the CIA "many if not most officials believe that diplomacy is failing" and that "top Pentagon brass believes the same".
He said: "A strike will probably follow a gradual escalation. Over the next few weeks and months the US will build tensions and evidence around Iranian activities in Iraq."
Previously, accusations that Mr Bush was set on war with Iran have come almost entirely from his critics.
Many senior operatives within the CIA are highly critical of Mr Bush's handling of the Iraq war, though they themselves are considered ineffective and unreliable by hardliners close to Mr Cheney.
The vice president is said to advocate the use of bunker-busting tactical nuclear weapons against Iran's nuclear sites. His allies dispute this, but Mr Cheney is understood to be lobbying for air strikes if sites can be identified where Revolutionary Guard units are training Shia militias.
Recent developments over Iraq appear to fit with the pattern of escalation predicted by Pentagon officials.
Gen David Petraeus, Mr Bush's senior Iraq commander, denounced the Iranian "proxy war" in Iraq last week as he built support in Washington for the US military surge in Baghdad.
The US also announced the creation of a new base near the Iraqi border town of Badra, the first of what could be several locations to tackle the smuggling of weapons from Iran.
A State Department source familiar with White House discussions said that Miss Rice, under pressure from senior counter-proliferation officials to acknowledge that military action may be necessary, is now working with Mr Cheney to find a way to reconcile their positions and present a united front to the President.
The source said: "When you go down there and see the body language, you can see that Cheney is still The Man. Condi pushed for diplomacy but she is no dove. If it becomes necessary she will be on board.
"Both of them are very close to the president, and where they differ they are working together to find a way to present a position they can both live with."
The official contrasted the efforts of the secretary of state to work with the vice-president with the "open warfare between Colin Powell and Donald Rumsfeld before the Iraq war".
Miss Rice's bottom line is that if the administration is to go to war again it must build the case over a period of months and win sufficient support on Capitol Hill.
The Sunday Telegraph has been told that Mr Bush has privately promised her that he would consult "meaningfully" with Congressional leaders of both parties before any military action against Iran on the understanding that Miss Rice would resign if this did not happen.
The intelligence officer said that the US military has "two major contingency plans" for air strikes on Iran.
"One is to bomb only the nuclear facilities. The second option is for a much bigger strike that would - over two or three days - hit all of the significant military sites as well. This plan involves more than 2,000 targets."

Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 PM
General of the Armies

Iran should not get any free cards, and the way they are going, we will eventually be at war with them, but if Iraq has shown the Allies anything, its that the future is not cast in stone, and that every preemptive action leads to self fulfilling outcomes.. So if the Allies wing back on any preemptive action, the likelyhood of conventional war and regional anarchy is reduced greatly.

Irans offensive actions is in Intel Collections, not military strikes, and its offensive reach is in parimiltary cells, not conventional military formations. The sooner everyone gets on board with that concept, the sooner real counter measures will be in place, cos if you want to cut the head of this snake, starve it of real information, they will get more desperate for information, and there cells will surface in all areas of the world, some Id say are known to security forces in relevant countries, but others will be unknown....... and voila, the players become the played... or you can cash your chips in and mop it up...

the assumption "Iran has not got global reach!". the shock "they do when it comes to gathering information!"...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 10-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Sergeant

like i said in a previous post, i have a feeling i know where i will be goin after AIT....

Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg53 View Post
like i said in a previous post, i have a feeling i know where i will be goin after AIT....
Lets hope we're a bit more intelligent while dealing with Iran. That way young guys like yourself don't get to die for no reason!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Lets hope we're a bit more intelligent while dealing with Iran. That way young guys like yourself don't get to die for no reason!
I wish some people would get out of their bubble and pay attention......

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
I wish some people would get out of their bubble and pay attention......
I thought Tex made a gud point

Old 10-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heama View Post
I thought Tex made a gud point
Well, I am sure you did! Of course, you DO have a bias...

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
I hope so too.

I would rather see another revolution of a sort.

It actually kinda makes sense. Hard sanctions crippling its economy because of its leaders arrogance. (It can be spun that way, even though, IMO, it doesn't have to be. Because its the truth.)

Supporting resistance in Iran. Radio stations and the like.

Going after the revolutionary guard, crippling them finacially, trying to destroy its loyalties to the Ayatollya. Which would be the main resistance to a civilian uprising.

Hopefully a shot would not have to be fired.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Corporal

Its becomes a bit of a joke when you witness how careful we are at not hitting the wrong targets. Softly treading around the place. Fighting a PC war, what ever that is

When all along the UK alone could flatten any country in that region, before they had chance to respond. Time the US really geared up and squashed these maggots and demonstrated its true power!

But no we'll continue playing out this half hearted scenario of cat and mouse with these Muslim fascists allowing them into our country to practice their twisted beliefs. I can't believe how many mosques we've let them build. We are definately in the process of creating another Yugoslavia. A powder keg in the making. France too and Germany etc

It quite upsetting that our forefather sacrificed so much for us to allow the scurge of humanity to ruin it.

I'm not a rascist I just think that Mulims belong in their own country and not in a democratic liberal state. They just haven't evolved and are really quite backward and well just having no real input. Don't let me talk about how they drain the social security..While our grand parents would do without out of sheer pride...........and yet they're all there in a line milking ever last penny out of this fantastic Fraud the Labour party created . Namely the wellfare state. Oh god what an absolute mess .
America did well to stay well clear of that under Clinton. All that happens is the hard workers pay in while the bone idle and manipulative take out.

Anyway I better get back to work

Bye for now

Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Its becomes a bit of a joke when you witness how careful we are at not hitting the wrong targets. Softly treading around the place. Fighting a PC war, what ever that is

When all along the UK alone could flatten any country in that region, before they had chance to respond. Time the US really geared up and squashed these maggots and demonstrated its true power!

But no we'll continue playing out this half hearted scenario of cat and mouse with these Muslim fascists allowing them into our country to practice their twisted beliefs. I can't believe how many mosques we've let them build. We are definately in the process of creating another Yugoslavia. A powder keg in the making. France too and Germany etc

It quite upsetting that our forefather sacrificed so much for us to allow the scurge of humanity to ruin it.

I'm not a rascist I just think that Mulims belong in their own country and not in a democratic liberal state. They just haven't evolved and are really quite backward and well just having no real input. Don't let me talk about how they drain the social security..While our grand parents would do without out of sheer pride...........and yet they're all there in a line milking ever last penny out of this fantastic Fraud the Labour party created . Namely the wellfare state. Oh god what an absolute mess .
America did well to stay well clear of that under Clinton. All that happens is the hard workers pay in while the bone idle and manipulative take out.

Anyway I better get back to work

Bye for now

I think your comments are based on the UK experience, and the nievity by the UK Government, which has given Fundamentalist Islam a strong foothold in the UK... those foul mouthed fundamentalist ****bags came to Ireland, and with their front man "Coudray", and were told by the Sheick of the Dublin Mosque to take his fundamentalist circus and leave happy Irish Muslims alone... the debate in Trinity College was astutely addressed by the good Sheik who represents the Irish Muslim Community, and ****bag Coudray went back the UK to preach his hate there... ****.. ye can have that dude..... Front man for AlQuada, and proud of it...

You need to stop thinking about Genocide of Islamic Countries and start think about your CT laws me thinks... let me give UK authorities advice in one saying when dealing with Islamic Counter Terrorism "Draw from your past, dont let your past draw from you!".....

Exo...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"