armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Share Your Stories
User Name
Password

Old 06-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Recruit

Smile Join the US-Army as a german.

Hi I am a new member.I have a question.I would like to join the us-army.But I am a german.

I am a 16 years old guy.
I will go about 1 and 1/2 years to school..
I would like to know what opportunities I have at the us-army.Which suppositions I need?
Which education is necessary? What kind of Job can I make as a german?Which educations are vantaged?
Can I make a education in the us-army? I hope you can help me.

Regards,

usafan

Old 06-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Second Lieutenant

What the bloody hell is wrong with you? Are you not proud of the German military history? I know some Germans who would hang you for treason-talk like that. You need to think before you open your mouth - i can guarantee you that that thought is based on what american films say about their military, whether you realise it or not.
As for answering your question, the state of your english answers that for you.

Last edited by js_mac; 06-21-2005 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-22-2005, 03:48 AM
Recruit

I hate germany,okay.I love america.So I would join the us-army.Can help somebody?

Old 06-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafan
I hate germany,okay.I love america.So I would join the us-army.Can help somebody?
i strongly recommend that you go trough those 1 and years of school first
and then ask yourself the same question again...

and maybe think about it like years..
then you'll be in the age of making such decisions.

i have seen this before.. sad cases of young minds too strongly influenced by
american media.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Jeremy47167

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_mac
What the bloody hell is wrong with you? Are you not proud of the German military history? I know some Germans who would hang you for treason-talk like that. You need to think before you open your mouth - i can guarantee you that that thought is based on what american films say about their military, whether you realise it or not.
As for answering your question, the state of your english answers that for you.
Man he's on here asking for help, not your oppinion of how he should feel. As far as that goes it sounds like you should contact a recruiter.

-Jeremy

Old 06-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Harrington

ha.. i'm american and i would rather join the German army than U.S.. but i'm still going into Marines

Old 07-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

If you want to join the US military, you'll have to become a legal-resident. This is only to enlist, if you want to become an officer, you will have to be a US citizen.

The US Army will offer you most of the same opportunities as an American citizen. I say most, because many sensitive MOSes and positions will not be open to you.

Educational benefits will also be the same, you will be allowed to attend school, on your own time, while enlisted - but depending on your MOS, the classes you are able to take may be few and far between.

Immigrating can be a pretty long, tedius and expensive process. It cost me tons of money, a lot of time burried in paper work - but in the end, it was well worth it. You have a few years yet, keep your mind open to all opportunities - and don't get snagged down with wanting to do ONE certain thing.

To those of you attempting to slam this individual for wanting to join the US military, perhaps you should take a step back and give the kid a break. There is nothing wrong with wanting to immigrate to another country and serve in their military. While the Germany army is well trained and professional, so is the US Army. He may very well change his mind once he is older, there is no reason to berate him for his dreams at this time. In other words, chill the ***** out.

Last edited by Tacky; 07-22-2005 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Recruit

I believe you need a "greencard"(?) to work in the U.S as anything. Including military.(?)

However I must say I am intrigued as to why you would not like to join the german specials. The KSK are one of the greatest military orginisations in the world, at the current moment they are serving in Afganistan (Yes, the germans are involved to those who think they are merely spectators).

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1854187.stm[/url]

But if you wish to try a foreign military by all means do not let anyone else stop you.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Private First Class

You can join the US military and NOT be a citizen i met quite a few people (mostly mexicans) with no greencard yet and they were in the US marines... I'm not sure if they were in the process of getting they're green card or not though

Old 09-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

You cannot legally join the US military without legal residency status. That is the law. Have some managed to bypass in the past? Yes. Before 9/11 immigrants were not looked at as strictly as they are now. I would not, however, recommend anyone attempting to join the US military do so illegally. Not only do you gamble your military career, but you also gamble with your chance to become a US citizen.

Quote:
Citizenship

While there is a statutory requirement that only a United States Citizen may become a commissioned officer, this is not true for enlistment. Certain non-citizens can enlist in the United States Armed Forces. To be eligible to enlist, a non-citizen must:

(1) Entered the United States on a permanent residence visa or has an Alien Registration Receipt Card (INS Form 1-551/I-551 greencard or stamped I-94), and

(2) Established a bona fide residence, and

(3) Established a home of record in the United States.

The visa and/or "greencard" must have sufficient time remaining on it (expiration date) to be valid during the entire term on enlistment. While non-citizens may enlist in the U.S. Military, they are not allowed to reenlist (stay in beyond their first term of service), unless they first become U.S. citizens.
Call any recruiter from any of the five branches (Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Army, Coast Guard) and they will confirm this for you.

The military will NOT help you with your legal resident status or citizenship, but military service can help you expidite your citizenship thanks to a directive from the POTUS after 11 September 2001.