armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Private

Send a message via Yahoo to Madd_Matt410
Default Basic Training. Worried!!!

[B][/B I was in the air force and didnt finish basic training because I got fraud entree. Now I went to talk to my recruiter when I got out and he said he would have to talk to his bosses to get me back in. Well im tired of waiting. So I went to see a army recruiter took care of me. Got me a waiver and a nice bonus that was unheard of in the air force. Now im signing up to leave in May after im done with college. I am worried though. I am 19 years old my dad was in the army he was in artillery went to fort sill. He thinks I can do this. I am scared I may fail PT or im scared I will get recycled and utterly just fail. I want to do this so bad it is not even funny and this is my second chance for glory. What if I keep messing up and it cost my entire platoon? What if I do fail my pt? There is so many what ifs. I know i have been through this before but im still worried to death about this. I want some insight on this. Your replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Matt.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Brigadier General

If you're scared of Army PT why not start preparing yourself for BCT right now?

Start running, do push-ups & sit-ups. Run every other day. Do push-ups alternating with sit-ups every time a commercial break comes on TV.

Google the APFT requirements for your age group & try to exceed the minimums.

The APFT consists of a 2 mile run, push-ups & sit-ups in a two minutes for each.

You have over a month to get up to speed.

You'll find the army is more PT-oriented than the Air Force or Navy. Soldiers need to be physically fit.

Make sure you do some excersises to get your heart rate up & then stretch out real good before doing any PT.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Calm Down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd_Matt410 View Post
[B][/B I was in the air force and didnt finish basic training because I got fraud entree. Now I went to talk to my recruiter when I got out and he said he would have to talk to his bosses to get me back in. Well im tired of waiting. So I went to see a army recruiter took care of me. Got me a waiver and a nice bonus that was unheard of in the air force. Now im signing up to leave in May after im done with college. I am worried though. I am 19 years old my dad was in the army he was in artillery went to fort sill. He thinks I can do this. I am scared I may fail PT or im scared I will get recycled and utterly just fail. I want to do this so bad it is not even funny and this is my second chance for glory. What if I keep messing up and it cost my entire platoon? What if I do fail my pt? There is so many what ifs. I know i have been through this before but im still worried to death about this. I want some insight on this. Your replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Matt.
Dude you need to calm down, now is not the time to panic!! If,if if if ...If monkey's flew out of my *** I would be in the circus!!! Dont stress about things that havent happened. Like Msg Glenn said. PREPARE YOURSELF!!!! Your Drill Sgt's beleive it or not are there to HELP you. They do not want to see you fail. That being said they will not waste their time on someone who is not giving 100%. Get a plan together and stick with it. BCT is the hardest thing you will ever do but it is not impossible to complete. Remember if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Recruit

Default don't worry

They will make sure you know what you are doing before you gradute basic training. I did 8 weeks in basic but got hurt and given a seven month full profile. so instead of staying there I did ELS.

ANyway, I have since e-taken the ASVAB and gotten a 95 so I am re-enlisting in an easier MOS. I ahve a friend who is a DS. Their (the drill sargeants) job is to make sure your ready. DOn't get discrouged though if you ever get recycled, alot of people do; in fact one of my friends who is now an officer and doing VERY well was recycled twice. They will make sure you know what your doing before they graduate you. Just have confidence. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Private

Thank you too you all. I am not a very big christian but I am going to pray on this and hope god will help me out as well. I am going to start running and doing pushups and situps and I HAVE to stop SMOKING!!!. I hope I make it through it. My dad he wants this for me more then ever. In the air force we had to run 2 miles in under 10 minutes. Do 60 sit ups in 1 minute. 45 pushups in one minute. I know the army will not be easy but I need this for myself. Thanks All.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Brigadier General

You might as well quit smoking right now, Matt. You won't be able to smoke at BCT or AIT & you certainly won't want to go through withdrawal the first few weeks you're thewre.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Private

I suppose you are right. I had this same problem when I went to Lackland for basic. I smoked the entire wait at the air port because I was nervous. When I got to basic during PT. I drew so much attention to the TI's because I would stop running and walk because I smoke so much. Belive me big mistake. I smoke alot as well and I know its not good for my health. Thanks, Matt

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd_Matt410 View Post
In the air force we had to run 2 miles in under 10 minutes. Do 60 sit ups in 1 minute. 45 pushups in one minute. I know the army will not be easy but I need this for myself. Thanks All.
I think your memory is deceiving you.

A 5-minute mile is blazing fast. To do that twice in a row (2 miles in 10 mins) with no rest would be difficult for a seasoned professional triathlon or marathon runner. There is NO way they would make that a requirement for EVERYONE.
AIT - Redstone Arsenal, AL - 20090810

Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Captain

The Air Force doesn't even do 2 mile runs, they do 1.5 miles runs as part of their fitness tests and the minimum for that is almost 12 minutes.

Tags
basic training