armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Sergeant

Default not sure where to post this...

Okay a couple questions here not sure where it should go?

Can anyone tell me about the family days after graduation is there one for basic and AIT? how long are they, does your family need to get a hotel or is that taken care of? also is there any breaks between ait and your first post.

Also once you get your first post is it generally easy to get a off base apartment? and does your BAH usually cover the full cost of it or only a portion?

sorry for all the questions, i want to get my facts straight now before i talk to a recruiter, i've been told they have a reputation for not being the most reliable source of information.

also is there some where i can get some more indepth information of MOS other than the brief ones found on the armys site?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM
First Sergeant

I can tell you a little something. My last unit was OSUT, or a basic and AIT unit that and I've been in for 21 years.
Family day: That is going to be at the commanders discretion. I have seen some classes that were restricted to the company area and others that were pretty much allowed to do as they wished until they were to return. As for any hotels for family, they're going to have to take care of that themselves. The Army won't pay for it or arrange it. It is very inappropriate for a drill sergeant to arrange for a hotel. Again depending on the unit, and or the commander, your family may be permitted to eat with you in the mess hall and some other little perks.
Break: that is going to depend on your orders. I have had as little as 12 - 36 hours between outgoing and incoming dates, I have had as much as 20 days. I wouldn't count on much if any more than travel time.
Housing: Silly boy, you don't get an apartment. You will likely go into barracks until you are assigned housing. This will basically be a small "apartment". They're not bad, better than the 2 man rooms from back in the day. You don't get BAH unless your married. Then you will assigned housing depending on your need. If there is no housing available then you will receive BAH.
as for the cost, if you get $500 for BAH and your rent is $700, you eat the $200. It could take awhile to get housing. It really will depend on where you are going. You will lean that this is one of those rank has it privilege things.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quite right gunbunny bah goes off the area where you are living(duty station)every place is different mine is a little over a grand but i am married if you are single you will live in the barracks on post if you are married you can live on post but the bah you recieve is taken out to pay for housing if you move off post you get your bah if married but depending on your rent plus other bills your bah might not cover everything but if you plan right you might have a little bah money left just remeber if you live off post and you are married you have to pay electric garbage gas phone cable internet etc. if on post you only pay for extras phone cable internet car payment insurance etc..

Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Sergeant First Class

Sorry to answer another question the mos lists they show you are about it go.army.com carrer and jobs gives you about a complete list of jobs and how long basic and ait are for each one and what you will be doing there are only 5 places for basic but alot of places for ait just depends on your mos