Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 02-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Understand all of that, Sniper but it's still on her medical record as a diagnosis which she is obliged to answer truthfully on the medical questionaire. We have to think of what's ocurring with her at this time, which is that she has a prescription for meds & when she doesn't take them she functions at a lower level.

I feel at this time she is a poor candidate for military service. Possibly with alternate treatment she'll be able to function normally at some future date but it might take some time & the Army is going to want to see a gap between the cure & the enlistment.
Absolutely. I wouldn't recommend her enlisting while still undergoing treatment at all. But Adderall isn't something that fixes the problem. It might take 3 or 4 years, but that would be the path I recommend.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saswood View Post
The problem is....her regular doctor is the one that prescribed them...he told us "well, she is 19 and if she says she doesnt need them any more and doesnt want a prescription he cant do anything about it".....the therapist can only "recommend" her to take medication, but is not licensed to subscribe meds so can't really say yes or no.....

And YES THAT IS WHAT I'M SAYING.....I know she would NEVER make it through Basic if she doesnt have meds, etc...(besides needing to get healthier)...but she thinks she can....She keeps seeing herself as the person 5 years ago when she was an elite Taekwondo athlete competing all over the united stated and internationally....she trained 6 days a week and competed all the time....she trained at the olympic training center in Colorado too....but since then, she had knee surgery, depression, ADHD and is totally out of shape...like I said if she was totally healthy...the Army would be great...but not now...

My thing is HOW do I convince HER of this? UGH

Thanks for your input
Like I said before, the medicine doesn't solve the problem, it only controls the symptoms. I would pursue the alternative medicine route and see how that works, that can cure ADD and ADHD, then she should wait a few years and try.

But like MSG Glenn said, she needs to disclose that at MEPs.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Private

Default Thanks all.....

Thank you all for your input....I agree she is an adult at this point and will make whatever choices she wants and for the most part I believe she needs to make her own mistakes to learn and grow up....but as a therapist has told me she technically is a "vulnerable adult" at this point and does need some monitoring....and to be honest I dont think she is at the majurity level to decide the next 4-8 years of her life and to making the choice of putting herself in a life and death situation.

I will sit back, hope she makes the right choices and if she doesnt hope the Army can see through her and do what is best for her....I do truely believe....things always work out and you need to let things take their course....I was just hoping for a little glimpse from you all of what might be in the future hehe...

THANKS again

Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Brigadier General

Convince her to get back into martial arts. She doesn't have to try to be a world-class athlete anymore, just the discipline alone along with the exercise would do her wonders.

I'm a martial arts instructor. I've taught Goju Ryu Karate, Kenpo Karate & Judo & at this time teach Judo only. We get many young kids with attention deficit disorders of one kind or another & it seems to work wonders with them. It gives them focus & a sense of mission- they want to win their next match. At the same time they get a big workout which makes them stronger with more stamina which in my opinion helps their mind as well as their body. I don't see why that wouldn't work with a young adult. As a matter of fact we had a young lady who was bi-polar. It didn't cure anything but it helped her keep her equilibrium. Her main goal in life was to improve herself enough to win a National Championship. She's won several.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Private

Default Funny you say that...

She actually is involved (just not training)....she has been at this school training for the past 14 years...will be testing for her 3rd deg this summer....she has actually worked at the school teaching, etc for 5 years ....she helps coaches the kids at the tournaments and will be getting more involved once the tournament season starts backup next month....She LOVES her job...teaches all ages from 4 years old to older than me (if you can believe that)...at one point we were both on the same team training (I have my second deg but dont want to test anymore)....

The owner of the school is gone at tournaments often and she is put in charge while he is away....she also assists with the after school program they have going....it really is her second family and she respects her coach tremendously....he has tried talking with her also (since he has been through good and bad with her for 14 years he knows her quite well and agrees the military isnt for her right now)....

At one point he wanted her to run a school for him....all the parents love her, the kids love her....I think to be honest she got burnt out and doesnt want it to be her life any more (we have seen LOTS of kids her age leave....they seem to always come back)...

Hey if you are a MA instructor....did you have anything to do with the Army TKD team? we have been at similar events and usually see a few at Nationals...maybe you know our school owner Master Eui Lee (World Taekwondo Academy)...great instructor...he was one of the olympic assistant coaches....actually one of the olympic coaches Master Juan Moreno was just here training our schools team a couple weeks ago..

I would love to see her get back into the training and competing, etc...I think it was good for her....many times she says she misses the whole thing....but I think she is waiting to get back into shape.....she hates the fact she got out of shape ...all the kids and parents looked up to her...she was a promissing athlete and she hates to loose.....and as you know if you don't keep up your skill it takes a little to get it back...I'm hoping some day she does...it was a great group and they are truely all good friends (young and old)

Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Brigadier General

I've never taken or taught TKD. I never go into the Korean sports but stuck with Chinese & Okinawan karate & Japanese Judo (which in our club we've pretty much Americanized) & also wrestling at the grade school level (coach) & H.S.level (asst. coach).

My son was involved in Army Combatives & was a member of the 3rd Ranger Battalion Team. He was only able to go to one All Army tournament at Ft. Benning due to deployments.

Army Combatives is a Mixed Martial Art including karate, kickboxing, wrestling, boxing, judo & jujitsu. His team included champions in all & he was the wrestling & Judo expert. Good cross-training between all of the guys on the team with excellent coaching.

He also went with his team to Ft. Lauderdal,Florida for a Brazilian JuJitsu tournament where the whole team came home with silver or gold medals.

Obviously he's the head instructor at our Judo Club. He's been doing Judo since he was 10 & wrestled (a complimentary sport) since he was 9. He's about to turn 24.
Retired MSG

Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Private

Default Update...

I think I have pursuaded my daughter to wait 6 months, to go off her meds, see how things go at school, work, etc (she is only taking one class at the community college right now and is actually on academic probation - was only allowed to take the one class after submitting an appeal under the pretense of having ADD and on the medication)....I told her for the summer session take a couple classes, continue to work, get in shape...and then if everything is going good...she would have been off the meds for 6 months, proven she can do some school and gotten in shape....then I would support her choice of joining the Army (and then the Army can decide if they want her or not)....She reluctantly agreed, mainly because her therapist was baking me too....I'll probably be back later on to have questions again (maybe not for 6 months lol)...oh and her boss (who is also her TKD instructor for the past 14 years) would maybe have faith she could do it now...because at this point he is in agreement with my husband, therapist and me.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Private

Default Recruiter came over last night...

My daughters recruiter came over last night....it was quite interesting talking to him...very nice guy, sincere, and I felt lots better after talking with him...with that said this is what I learned...he told my daughter with all her history and issues she has a less than 50% chance of being accepted, that yes she would have to wait a year to be off the meds (that is if they would even accept her at all because of other past issues that might permenatly dq her)....he is willing to send all her medical stuff in and see what they say....

I did learn that if she would have never said anything to them and not told them about her past history that they would never have found out...he said they do not look at past medical records (only if you offer them up), they dont get school transcripts or info that she only has to show a HS diploma (so any mention of her special needs she needed in school they wouldnt know about)....that basically the only thing she would have had to disclose is her knee surgery (because of the scars)...otherwise they never would have been any wiser....that was shocking to me they dont require anything of past history and just take your word for it.

Anyways....she is NOT going to lie, she is offering up her medical information and will see if they will take her...but it doesnt sound too promissing....thanks for all the info you all offered.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Private

Default hey update MSG Glenn...

Soooo we received some paperwork for my daughters original mental health eval and it doesnt sound good, back in 2005.....and still have nothing from 2005-2008 but have a letter from her current therapist....and she now says she doesnt suffer from major depression anymore, but currently has "adjustment disorder" and characteristics of anxiety and ADD.........the doctor gave her permission to go off her ADD medicine....

So my question is....do they give waivers out ever for "adjustment disorder" and expecially if they are still seeing a therapist (once a week) to assit with "adjusting and transitioning with regard to school and home"..

To me that would show if you cant adjust to something so simple how in the world would the Army think they could adjust to army life?...just looking for your opionion since your a recruiter....oh and the original history in 2005 states "she attempted suicide by taking pills while family slept" (this really is an untrue statement, she had planned to but didn't follow through hahaha..but helps my cause of not wanting her to join at this time)....but when she was admitted to hospital for a week in 2007 she again had not made the attempt but "couldn't guarentee her safety"....

Okay...just looking to see what you think her chances of getting a waiver would be...oh and like I said in an earlier post....she was diagnosed with ADD in November and only took Adderall for 3 months before the doctor told her she could stop (she told him she had to stop to join the army - family physician)

Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Brigadier General

I'm not a Recruiter, I only refer names to Recruiting Command.

A Recruiter will have all of the current regs & policies at hand. I won't ask you his name so I won't be tempted to turn him in for what he suggested. But he's right. There is no way that the Army can search every one's medical record. If it turns out that a soldier has a very definite pre-existing condition & didn't answer yes on the medical questionnaire then she could be charged with a felony. Honesty is definitely the best policy. If she gets in as she is then God Bless her. Who knows - that one year waiting period after she gets off meds might just see her cleared up.

To me, talking as a soldier I'd say she's a no-go. She has way too many issues. Even though she won't be in Combat Arms (male soldiers only) she'll still be in the Army & could possibly jeopardize the lives of other soldiers if she would "go off" at the wrong time.

Even in BCT -forget about combat conditions- there's a lot of stress involved. That's done intentionally. Can she cope with that? Will she make an attempt on her life? When I was involved in Recruit Training as an Instructor it seemed there wasn't a training cycle that passed by without at least one half-hearted suicide attempt.
Retired MSG