armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 AM
HumbleOne HumbleOne is offline
Staff Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 130
Default Getting ready to enlist.....

Hello all. I am new to this site, and am getting ready to enlist as a Specialist. I am 30, scored above an 80 on the asvap, have security clearance, and am having a hard time deciding what to do. I am interested in MP's, but have also have my 11xOPT40 for Ranger after basic. I am getting a degree in psychology so I would like to do something with that to help me after the army. I am very physically fit, athletic, determined, motivated and have extremely high expectations of myself, and i have to be challenged or else I get bored easily. I am highly interested in SF's, Green Berets, Rangers, or even Delta Force which I do realize is next to impossible. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, even constructive criticism.

Thanks.
__________________
Training day is everyday. Failure is not an option.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky

Last edited by HumbleOne; 05-14-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Nightflyer's Avatar
Nightflyer Nightflyer is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 7th and 33rd " Home of the Show"
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOne View Post
Hello all. I am new to this site, and am getting ready to enlist as a Specialist. I am 30, scored above an 80 on the asvap, have security clearance, and am having a hard time deciding what to do. I am interested in MP's, but have also have my 11xOPT40 for Ranger after basic. I am getting a degree in psychology so I would like to do something with that to help me after the army. I am very physically fit, athletic, determined, motivated and have extremely high expectations of myself, and i have to be challenged or else I get bored easily. I am highly interested in SF's, Green Berets, Rangers, or even Delta Force which I do realize is next to impossible. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, even constructive criticism.

Thanks.
Welcome Bro. Sounds real good..I like the idea of X18 and Army Airborne Ranger. That's just me. It's where I'm headed..SOF's..I have a friend who's a career Special Forces operator..Team leader. His day = our Night. MSG Tacky, He can answer any questions about SOF's...Look into our different operational Special Forces threads. You'll learn alot. Do your research and come back with some real good questions. When my friend Tacky, gets Free Time he'll stop in and take a quick look..

He's X18 Knowledge big time...


Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
__________________
The Broadwayblues / New York Yankees
Sacred Heart University-Division 1 Men's Ice hockey.
Army Avaition
U S A


Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

__________________

Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM
HumbleOne HumbleOne is offline
Staff Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 130
Default

I will definitly do that. I have been lurking around here for a few days and the info has really asnswered a lot of questions I have had. I will definitly keep reading!
__________________
Training day is everyday. Failure is not an option.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Gunbunny13's Avatar
Gunbunny13 Gunbunny13 is offline
First Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 269
Default

If you a have the degree, or will shortly, why would you want to be enlisted? Apply for OCS and become an officer. As for the career field, I wouldn't recommend anything that has a 1 in front of the identifier. No 11, 12, 13, 14, 19 or 18 none of these MOS's are going to help you when you get out. I'm a 13 and there is no need for cannoners outside of the Army. Being a Ranger or SF is useless outside of the military unless you go to work for KBR or other outside security agency's.
My opinion isn't the popular one, but it's the truth.
__________________
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM
HumbleOne HumbleOne is offline
Staff Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 130
Default

Thanks Gunbunny, I appreciate it. I have always wanted to join the military and would like to make a career of it in itself. In the long term I would like to get into Psych Ops, so I have been told the best way to start is in the field. I am trying to make the best decisions possible to obtain that goal.
__________________
Training day is everyday. Failure is not an option.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Do you already have the 11X/option 40 contract? If you do then your career is mapped out for you. Don't waste it. Make sure you're in top physical condition. If you have the contract in hand or will get it you can go several routes. You can go to Airborne School & Ranger Indoc. & get into a Ranger Batt. of the 75th Regt. In about a year or less you will have the opportunity to go to Ranger School. After that, sometime during your enlistment, you can either apply for Special Forces or OCS. Just having your Ranger Tab is no guarantee to pass either course but it should give you an edge in either, especially OCS.

If you go to OCS you won't be able to reenter the 75th Ranger Regt. until you're a 1LT. You'll have to serve as a 2LT Platoon Leader in either an Airborne unit or a straight leg Infantry unit.

Don't think you're too old for Ranger training. My son has a guy in his squad, "Old Man M----", who went through RIP as a 34 year old & Ranger School when he was 35. According to my son he's an excellent Ranger & just made SGT a month ago. I myself reentered military service at age 38 & I went Airborne Infantry.

Again, if you go that route get yourself in the best physical shape of your life. Option 40 contracts are hard to come by & don't waste it.

Use the search button on the top of the page to read about the requirements to qualify being in a Ranger Batt. there's been many discussions about this in the past.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
HumbleOne HumbleOne is offline
Staff Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Do you already have the 11X/option 40 contract? If you do then your career is mapped out for you. Don't waste it. Make sure you're in top physical condition. If you have the contract in hand or will get it you can go several routes. You can go to Airborne School & Ranger Indoc. & get into a Ranger Batt. of the 75th Regt. In about a year or less you will have the opportunity to go to Ranger School. After that, sometime during your enlistment, you can either apply for Special Forces or OCS. Just having your Ranger Tab is no guarantee to pass either course but it should give you an edge in either, especially OCS.

If you go to OCS you won't be able to reenter the 75th Ranger Regt. until you're a 1LT. You'll have to serve as a 2LT Platoon Leader in either an Airborne unit or a straight leg Infantry unit.

Don't think you're too old for Ranger training. My son has a guy in his squad, "Old Man M----", who went through RIP as a 34 year old & Ranger School when he was 35. According to my son he's an excellent Ranger & just made SGT a month ago. I myself reentered military service at age 38 & I went Airborne Infantry.

Again, if you go that route get yourself in the best physical shape of your life. Option 40 contracts are hard to come by & don't waste it.

Use the search button on the top of the page to read about the requirements to qualify being in a Ranger Batt. there's been many discussions about this in the past.
Thank you MSG. This has been very helpful. I am getting the contract as per my recruiter and believe me, I won't sign unless he goes through with his word, and I have a few references that hes not a BSer from some friends in the service.

Yes I feel old....lol. But I workout 5 days a week (free weights) pretty religiously for YEARS, so I have an advantage. I have been getting up at 530 am this week to run 2 miles, then do my weight lifting in the evening. Next week will move to 3 miles at 5am, and etc. I do not expect to fail due to conditioning or mental fatigue. The only way will be for them to carry me out.

So to be Psyc Ops you have to be an officer?

And my recruiter is checking if he can place that 11xOPT40 to a MP MOS, but Im guessing the Ranger way is the way to go to get to SF's or Psyc Ops. And is there any way he can put Ranger school in the contract for when I pass Airborne and RIP?

And congrats on reentering. Lots of respect for you.
__________________
Training day is everyday. Failure is not an option.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 PM
HumbleOne HumbleOne is offline
Staff Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 130
Default

Thank you Glenn. I hope this isnt a double post, if so please forgive me.

I am going to have it in my hand. My recruiter was referenced to me by some friends active duty so if he says he can get it for me I have no reason not to trust him. I will not sign unless I do get what I want. I am old enough to understand that aspect of negotiating...lol.

I do feel old...lol. I have already been training, up at 0530 running two miles every day. Then I hit the weights in the evening. I been an avid weight lifter for years. I am actually concerned I will be going in too big so i am going to try and lose some muscle before I go. Strengthwise I am in the best shape I will get. Need to get the cardio and endurance aspect reeled in.

After talking to my recruiter today and some research, I think I am going 18x. Green Berets is what I was wanting (to give me a shot at Delta Force or Psyc Ops) and I thought I had to go through Ranger school to get there. If I am not mistaking, 18x will get me right to SF training which is making my heart pound I am so excited.

This opportunity will not be wasted.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any and all advice.
__________________
Training day is everyday. Failure is not an option.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Nightflyer's Avatar
Nightflyer Nightflyer is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 7th and 33rd " Home of the Show"
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOne View Post
Thank you Glenn. I hope this isnt a double post, if so please forgive me.

I am going to have it in my hand. My recruiter was referenced to me by some friends active duty so if he says he can get it for me I have no reason not to trust him. I will not sign unless I do get what I want. I am old enough to understand that aspect of negotiating...lol.

I do feel old...lol. I have already been training, up at 0530 running two miles every day. Then I hit the weights in the evening. I been an avid weight lifter for years. I am actually concerned I will be going in too big so i am going to try and lose some muscle before I go. Strengthwise I am in the best shape I will get. Need to get the cardio and endurance aspect reeled in.

After talking to my recruiter today and some research, I think I am going 18x. Green Berets is what I was wanting (to give me a shot at Delta Force or Psyc Ops) and I thought I had to go through Ranger school to get there. If I am not mistaking, 18x will get me right to SF training which is making my heart pound I am so excited.

This opportunity will not be wasted.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any and all advice.
Humble,
Keep the training going and stick with reps instead of bulk..Jump rope and work on your foot speed...Throw some cone in a 20x20 grid and run the box forward to one cone and backward to the next ..then sideways. Also stand in front of a row of cones and jump each one as far and as high as you can..It helps with quick steps and improves your foot speed.

I won two Army APFT Awards in bct and at AAS Training..I have a D-1 workout schedule that helped me fly through my training..I'm using it the rest of career. Will always have P/T Training. It's a little over the top but you sound like your good to go..Hit me back (pm) if you like to check it out..

X18 is Special Forces...The Green Beret is just a hat..I found that out along time ago from a friend. The SF's have teams of high end experience soldiers..Our boss is a team leader. There's not to many soldier's who use the term Delta but use Special Forces instead.

You sound like your ready..I know the feeling. It's great! I can't wait to come home from deployment...Airborne time..Woo Hoo..Then off to OCS or Warrants Officer school...

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
__________________
The Broadwayblues / New York Yankees
Sacred Heart University-Division 1 Men's Ice hockey.
Army Avaition
U S A


Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

__________________

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

It works like this, Humble. All 18X go to Infantry OSUT. After that Airborne School. Then you'll go to SFAS. After being accepted & gone through "Snake Eating University" (my apologies to MSG Tacky) Then school in the 18 series MOSs, 18B, 18C,18D, or 18E, I believe it's SF's choice. Then Language School at the Presidio. Sometime in there you'll have to attend the Warrior Leaders Course to qualify for SGT. I'm sure I have the timing wrong on all of the above & the order in which you'll attend all of these, I have enough problems eating breakfast in the morning, lunch around noon,& dinner in the evening, senior moments you know, but it's something like that. MSG Tacky, a serving Special Forces Senior NCO, will be along to set me straight on this but sufficient to say that you'll have over a year of training depending on the MOS & language chosen for you with the danger of washing out at any time. I'm not sure whether SF recycles those who have failed an element but just off the top of my head I'd say their doctrine is failure is no option. You'll revert to your Infantry MOS & serve as an Infantryman.

Having gone through all of this successfully you'll be the best of the best & the elite of the elite. No finer soldiers exists. No soldier does the job they do better. (Am I now forgiven, Tacky?)
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.