armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Brigadier General

When I was doing Rifle Marksmanship at recruit training & ROTC the ones who turned out to be good shots had never fired a weapon before. The other category were people who had undergone a good civilian program like my state's hunter safety certification or young people trained by soldiers who knew what they were doing.

Oddly enough the few times I taught female soldiers I found that many were natural shots. Maybe because they weren't carrying any macho attitudes.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool Soldier On....Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOne View Post
Night...E tool? What is that? And I have acutally been thinking about getting a gun and going to a range and practice my shooting. I just didn't wanna be gung-ho overkill wannabe type guy. But if that will actually help, i will definitly do it.

And yes Bro, I do understand. Everyones support has really helped, and advice......I can't get enough of that.
OK, I don't want to be too over the top..The best shape you can be in physically & Mentally is what's most important right now..But Good point jrj..Having grew up around my pops and the guys in his unit..I was (dialed-in) on what was expected in training."Knowing this". I went into it with my eyes open and mouth shut..I worked and trained real hard..Well enough to be awarded the squad leader patch..I'm not looking for medals..I only want to be and do my best at my all around soldier skills. Being prepared is never wrong. It can't hurt to talk about a few things..

US Army E-tool..folding shovel with flat carring case..It fits perfect. Get used to being practical and fill your ruck wtith stuff../First- Aid kit / MAG lite /extra pair of boot laces/extra pair of gloves /A cig lighter/spot mirrior / compass/ knive/ ect...

As for the weapons..read up! Get familiar with the M16A-- Rifle and M-4 Carbine../ M-4 MWS..Fully Automatic/Modular Weapons Systems/ Major Assemblies/General Accessories/ Rail Adapter Accessories/Night Vision devices /Optics/ CCO/.ect...

Take a course on learning the proper use & care & storing of a weapon. Hand guns and pistols should be determined at a gun shop / range..Pistol grips are different and come in different sizes..Personal preference...ect. Sig Sauer.40 cal / M-9 / in great cont..$495-575 Great guns.Nice call Exo..Stay Away from the cheap MFG's..Ammo cost. Big time. But maybe we should just stick to the fitness and overall training schedule first.. Lol..Keep up the good work and Donít Quit!-.....

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation/ Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 06-17-2008 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Staff Sergeant

Good point Glenn. I am pretty confident in my shooting so I think I will take the advice and wait to be taught the Army way. I go trap shooting with my shotgun and can hit 3 clays released at the same time, so hopefully that means I have a green thumb for it. We will see. Otherwise I'll just imagine its my old recruiter

Day 29

I thought I would see how my body reacts to rucking 2 days in a row. So, I went rucking, and I added 10lbs so I am at 65-70 lbs in the sack. Went to Mahoney State Park again, rucked for another two hours. Held up really good, had to put moleskin on the top of my foot for a hot spot that started acting up. Took a 5 minute break to change socks and powder up. I could tell the difference with another 10 lbs, but as I said I held up pretty good. Knees where a lil sore but once they got juices in them they were fine. Lost my balance climbing up a ravine and fell over on my side like a beached wale. Lol, once that weight got moving to the side, I was going with it

3xfailure on pushups and situps

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky

Old 06-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Brigadier General

You know - your little setback may be beneficial to you in your conditioning process. The longer you have to do it the stronger you'll be. MSG Tacky hit it right on the head when he told you not to sweat the small stuff & suck up any setback that comes along. It's not a perfect world so you just gotta adapt.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
You know - your little setback may be beneficial to you in your conditioning process. The longer you have to do it the stronger you'll be. MSG Tacky hit it right on the head when he told you not to sweat the small stuff & suck up any setback that comes along. It's not a perfect world so you just gotta adapt.
Oh I agree. The more time the better. It's just hard cause I want to do it now and I know I'm not ready. I still get excited just thinking about it. I know it will get worked out, I won't except anything other. I just have a problem with liars and thieves. They really irk me. Especially to my face even if it was 12 years ago, and who I thought I could trust. But I am past it. It is what it is. I play the ball as it bounces sorta speak. It just makes me want it that much more, crave it, desire it.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Staff Sergeant

Day 30

Body is pretty tired today from 2 days of rucking in a row. I probably should have took the day off but I felt like running, so I took it easy and ran for 30 minutes.

Pushups and situps 3xfailure

Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Staff Sergeant

I am getting a CFP-90 backpack today, unless anybody else suggests the alicepack. I want it to get me through Basic, through AIT, Jump and through SFAS and SFQC.

Any suggestions?

[url]http://www.vtarmynavy.com/military_backpacks.htm[/url]

Last edited by HumbleOne; 06-19-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOne View Post
I am getting a CFP-90 backpack today, unless anybody else suggests the alicepack. I want it to get me through Basic, through AIT, Jump and through SFAS and SFQC.

Any suggestions?

[url]http://www.vtarmynavy.com/military_backpacks.htm[/url]
Just make sure its balanced... meaning you can load it up and the weight distribution is across your back... you need to check them out in person before buying... one of those Alice packs looks very familiar.. lol.. memories!!.. oh those memories!!...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 06-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Staff Sergeant

Glad I could contribute to those memories

I am going with the large alicepack, and I also got boots a 1/2 size smaller to see how they work, so I am breaking those in. Seems that my feet don't really swell up that much, so they have been sliding around. We will see how these work.

Day 31
Rest. Getting ready for my first long ruck tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Great point MSG Glenn.....setbacks are a good thing in some cases...makes you stronger mentaly when you learn to deal with them....mental strenght is key for soldiers....Good point by Tacky aslo about not sweating the small stuff....you win some and you lose some.....its not about the knockdowns.....its about how you get up from them that counts