armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Recruit

Default Entitlement to Medals/Ribbons for Retired Soldiers

Hello, my dad was in the Army for 22 years and retired in 93. He died in 98 from cancer and he was buried in Arlignton with his dress uniform and Ribbons ect. When i was young i used to play around with his medals and i lost most of them i have only 3.

He retired a CW3 (Chief Warrent Offcier 3), he was Enlisted when he joined made it Sergant 1st class or E-7, and took the officer course and skipped up to CW2 eventually to CW3. He was in Military Intel.

My question is this, i have his DD 214 form well an outdated one based off pictures off his dress uniform and what he told me it wasnt updated. It shows all awards and medals but 1 which by looking at pictures i found out to be the "DEFENSE MERITORIOUS MEDAL" which was his highest award.

I noticed while looking on google that President G.W Bush in 2002 made a new medal called the Korean Defense service Medal, which is suppose to be givin to all service members who were in korea for 30 days or more between 1954 and now. My dad was in korea in the 80's for a year its where he broke his ankles and we have the paper's showing his orders.

How do i go about and making the government add this to his awards on his DD 214 form? It might already be on there i orderd a updated form today so it will take a couple weeks to get it, but for now how do i go about getting something he rightfully earned. Also how do i get these medals im missing and ribbons ? Do i go to the local Army base and show them the form or what ? I found website that claim to sell authentic medals and ribbons but there so expensive and he has so many (5 rows of ribbons) that it will cost me like $200

Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hello, my dad was in the Army for 22 years and retired in 93. He died in 98 from cancer and he was buried in Arlignton with his dress uniform and Ribbons ect. When i was young i used to play around with his medals and i lost most of them i have only 3.

He retired a CW3 (Chief Warrent Offcier 3), he was Enlisted when he joined made it Sergant 1st class or E-7, and took the officer course and skipped up to CW2 eventually to CW3. He was in Military Intel.

My question is this, i have his DD 214 form well an outdated one based off pictures off his dress uniform and what he told me it wasnt updated. It shows all awards and medals but 1 which by looking at pictures i found out to be the "DEFENSE MERITORIOUS MEDAL" which was his highest award.

I noticed while looking on google that President G.W Bush in 2002 made a new medal called the Korean Defense service Medal, which is suppose to be givin to all service members who were in korea for 30 days or more between 1954 and now. My dad was in korea in the 80's for a year its where he broke his ankles and we have the paper's showing his orders.

How do i go about and making the government add this to his awards on his DD 214 form? It might already be on there i orderd a updated form today so it will take a couple weeks to get it, but for now how do i go about getting something he rightfully earned. Also how do i get these medals im missing and ribbons ? Do i go to the local Army base and show them the form or what ? I found website that claim to sell authentic medals and ribbons but there so expensive and he has so many (5 rows of ribbons) that it will cost me like $200
If you get the DD214 and it does not have the updated award on it, you can contact the same place you ordered it from, send a notarized copy of the "proof" and request an amendment.

As far as how to get those awards you will have to purchase them yourself, the Army won't replace them for you since they have already been awarded to him once.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
If you get the DD214 and it does not have the updated award on it, you can contact the same place you ordered it from, send a notarized copy of the "proof" and request an amendment.

As far as how to get those awards you will have to purchase them yourself, the Army won't replace them for you since they have already been awarded to him once.

Are you 100% sure they wont issue them again ? I was reading on the National Archive webiste that if you submit the paper work they will mail them to you altho it says it can take a year due to Money issues with that orginization and it might not be free to me since im just his kid.

So should i just order the medals from this website ? I add'd em to my cart and itll cost me $200... Geesh

[url]http://www.usmedals.com/default.aspx?res=1680[/url]