armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Private

Default Prior Service Enlistment/Critical MOS

I'm prior service Navy, and thinking about joining the Army. I've been told that I'll only be able to choose an MOS that falls under the 'Critical Skills' listing, but I can't seem to find an up to date list. Would anyone be able to tell me where I can find one?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Private First Class

Well I am not in the Army yet, but I looked under google army mos and found the most critical MOS's It looked like any thing that anything to do with combat.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Brigadier General

A Recruiter will have that list. It changes frequently but you could Google it. It might not be up to date, though.

Normally there's 11X, Infantry; 18X, Special Forces; & 89D, Explosives Ordnance Disposal.

11X is always a puzzle to me. Many young people have trouble getting into it during the summer because all the slots at Infantry School are filled yet it normally comes up as critical.

It's best to see a Recruiter to get that information.

Me - I'd go Infantry. As a matter of fact that's what I did when I went from ther Navy to The Army.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:35 AM
First Sergeant

Last time I was at MEPS I spoke to a few prior service guys who were enlisting into the Army. From what they told me, you can pick a MOS close to what you had in the Navy so long as you are an E5 or higher.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Whiskey View Post
Last time I was at MEPS I spoke to a few prior service guys who were enlisting into the Army. From what they told me, you can pick a MOS close to what you had in the Navy so long as you are an E5 or higher.
That's correct - IF there are slots available. It's the logical way if a person is already trained in that field. But nobody ever accused the Army of being logical.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
A Recruiter will have that list. It changes frequently but you could Google it. It might not be up to date, though.

Normally there's 11X, Infantry; 18X, Special Forces; & 89D, Explosives Ordnance Disposal.

11X is always a puzzle to me. Many young people have trouble getting into it during the summer because all the slots at Infantry School are filled yet it normally comes up as critical.

It's best to see a Recruiter to get that information.

Me - I'd go Infantry. As a matter of fact that's what I did when I went from ther Navy to The Army.
Yeah, I've tried googling and all the lists I've been able to find have been like 2 to 3 years old, so I assume probably not very up to date.

I actually talked to a Recruiter today, he told me Infantry and 13 series are the only thing open, but he was a bit vague on whether that was just because of the summer rush or if those are the only options for prior service period.

How easy is it to cross-rate in the Army? If I were to go in as Infantry could I change MOS's later?

Edit: Also getting conflicting information. Some places say it's critical MOS's or nothing, and other places I've tried said it's more based on line scores on the ASVAB, ie if my line scores for an MOS are fairly high I might get offered it even if it's not 'critical'.

Last edited by Mac27; 05-05-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Private

Okay, found a 'Priority MOS list' that's current as of the 24th of April, and it has quite a few options, including the two I'm interested in, 15W and 68W. But I've heard that Prior Service people going to MEPS are being told 11X or 89D is it, period.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac27 View Post
I actually talked to a Recruiter today, he told me Infantry and 13 series are the only thing open, but he was a bit vague on whether that was just because of the summer rush or if those are the only options for prior service period.
The recruiter is full of ****. Find another one.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
The recruiter is full of ****. Find another one.
Well, I'm headed down to MEPS next week, so hopefully the MOS Counsellors can give me a better picture of what's going on.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Private

My husband has been in the process of doing a blue to green transfer for months now and they are offered the same options as prior service. He has a very informative recruiter who has not been vague or sugarcoated anything. Back a few months ago he told both of us not to stress because we have time and all that. My husband went to meps last week and was offered 11x, 18x, and 89d. Because of his physical profile he was unable to take any of them. There is a memo sent out by the USAREC for each month that states what is avaliable to prior service for each grade. I've been shown both April's and May's and they are very short lists. Even if you held a MOS that directly transfers if it's not on the list you have to retrain. Right now there are so many prior service going back in that they don't need many more. It sucks cause now we have to figure something else out. The critial skills list is for Soldiers who are already in the Army.