armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Recruit

Default Bad Credit???

I've been contemplating the jump into the army now, for the past year or so, I'm 24, in good shape, and it's been a rocky road growing up. I've had two prior arrests, once when I was 12 for vandalism, and again when I was 14 for petty theft. I also have bad credit, I have two past due credit cards, which can be paid off within the next month, and I have an outstanding car reposession. Will all of this keep me from being able to enlist? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Corporal

In terms of the bad credit, I'm in the same boat. My recruiter told me that bad credit most likely wont keep you from enlisting, but you cannot get any security clearance. So your MOS will be limited. The 2 prior arrests is what I'd be worried about. Get in touch with a recruiter and see if they're allowing any waivers right now. And good luck to you

Old 05-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Recruit

They are both misdemenors, and I was told they would be expunged, but I really have no clue about what to do. I dont think I'd really need clearance for what I want to do. I'd like to be an aircraft/helo/tank mechanic. I'll settle for Infantry though.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Captain

Even if expunged, the Army has the ability to look up anything that has to do with a prior record. As far as the debt, that shouldn't keep you out but as it was already mentioned could keep you from receiving a security clearance. While you may not need one right away, if you decide to stay in the Army for a while, you could end up at a point where you would require one due to duty position but if you can get it cleared up and your credit back on track, you should be okay.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Recruit

Would I still need to get a waiver considerin it was 10 years ago? Any thing I got from boot camp would pay the repo, so, depending on when I start depends on the pay off.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Brigadier General

With the length of time from the last offense you probably won't need a waiver.

On the outside chance that you do need one you might have to wait until after summer to enlist. At this time there are very few waivers being granted due to the heavy influx of H.S. & college grads & the fact that Army Recruiting is meeting or exceeding its goals.

As far as bad credit I think I heard that no waivers are needed or security clearances denied if the amount is under a certain amount. I've heard $10,000 at one place & $40,000 at another (?)

Those questions will have to be answered by a Recruiter because there are always changes depending on how bad they need recruits.

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
With the length of time from the last offense you probably won't need a waiver.

On the outside chance that you do need one you might have to wait until after summer to enlist. At this time there are very few waivers being granted due to the heavy influx of H.S. & college grads & the fact that Army Recruiting is meeting or exceeding its goals.

As far as bad credit I think I heard that no waivers are needed or security clearances denied if the amount is under a certain amount. I've heard $10,000 at one place & $40,000 at another (?)

Those questions will have to be answered by a Recruiter because there are always changes depending on how bad they need recruits.

MSG Glenn
haha Glenn! your always giving advice on the waiver deals! its quite funny alwasy saying that there might not be any waivers