armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Recruit

Question Enlistment waiver for diverted & expunged burglary charge?

I've been researching enlisting in the Army. I've wanted to do this for a long time. Last year I was basically in the wrong place, at the wrong time -- urban exploring on a construction site at night. I was caught and arrested by the police, and charged with burglary in the third degree. I found out such things are charged much more severely at night.

The issue went to court, and I was presented with a couple options: plead guilty (NO!), plea bargain for a lesser charge (would still leave me with a criminal record), or have the issue diverted into community service and restitution to the victim.

I chose the last option, because it would leave me in the clear once it was all said-and-done and allow me to get jobs without having to answer questions about having a criminal history and any issues surrounding that.

Unfortunately, I have been reading that the Army and rest of the military basically see what I did as admitting guilt to a FELONY instead of a lower charge. There's really nothing I can do at this point to go back in time and get it changed to a lower crime.

I read that the Army is not accepting moral waivers anymore (oddly enough, not on any authoritative sources, just on discussion boards). Is this actually true, or just a rumor? My friend who is in the Army says that them not accepting any moral waivers is absolute garbage, and seems to coincide with a lack of sources on the topic. However, a lot of people on discussion boards are saying differently. Does this mean that I shouldn't even bother trying to enlist? I recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree from one of the top public universities in the nation, have a good GPA, work history, and high IQ score.

Other than the one issue, I would be a perfect candidate for the Army.

Do I bother starting the process, or will I just be turned down?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 AM
First Lieutenant

It is true that right now the Army is not accepting moral waivers. The reason you will not see this written anywhere except for discussion boards is because it isn't something thats permanant. With recruiting numbers soaring because of high school grads added to the economy woes, the Army can afford to be more picky. They have also raised the minimum score on the ASVAB from 31 to 50. Like I said though, this is only temporary. And to touch on the felony thing...I don't necessarily think they see you as "guilty" persay, but the fact that its there is enough. Again, in time they will reinstate waivers and you can probably enlist then.

According to some of the more knowledgable on this site, they are projecting that towards the end of the year, things should go back to normal. You might just have to wait it out...but it will give you time to get into the physical condition you'll need to be in.
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Captain

You can always start the process. Some recruiting stations may put forth the effort to get you a waiver, however, at the current time with both high school and college graduations happening, there will be candidates coming in who don't require the waivers and will be taken up first.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Brigadier General

I could be wrong because sadly I just haven't been keeping up with felony waivers but my impression about felony waivers are that no moral felonies or drug possession with intent to sell are waived.

It can't hurt to talk to a Recruiter. He can always tell you to come back in 3 months or don't bother coming back at all. You'll know exactly where you stand then.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 05-15-2009 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Captain

[QUOTE=MSG Glenn;83676]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
I could be wrong because sadly I just haven't been keeping up with felony waivers but my impression about felony waivers are that no moral felonies or drug possession with intent to sell are waived.

It can't hurt to talk to a Recruiter. He can always tell you to come back in 3 months or don't bother coming back at all.
I asked my friend who's a recruiter and he said some stations may be willing but most won't and even though it's a long shot, it's not impossible (his words).

Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Recruit

Thanks for the responses!

I am completely willing to wait it out, if that's what it takes. I want this more than anything else I've ever done. After spending 4 years in college, and working in an office for several years, it's just not more for me. Every day that goes by I get more stir-crazy doing work that has an incredibly dubious purpose for a company that I really don't like. And... well... the thought of 40 more years of this is sobering and depressing.

I am, however, a flag-waving, patriotic Nephew of my Uncle Sam! After speaking with a friend of mine who was an E6 in the Army, it seems like this is more-and-more the right choice for me. He already says he knows I will do well and am proud to serve my country. He says he'd still be in the army now if he weren't injured in Iraq.

Unfortunately, the whole burglary thing holds me down. The courts were willing to overlook it if I repay the community, and I can get any civilian job without being disqualified for a (non-existant) criminal record -- the one thing I'd rather not have!

Anyhow, does anyone know if the DEP is an option for me and my situation?