armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Recruit

Default Recruitment question

I like to believe that everything I am told is true. Most recruiters I'm sure tell the truth, but there is no question some lie a little, or make things seem better than they are.

They had me take a practice test which was in the lower 80s. Its been way too long since I had algebra, so on the official test im sure it will be higher now that I've looked over the math again. After seeing my score, they said I pretty much can pick whatever I want.

I am good with computers, can type 85 words per minute, have advanced computer knowledge and basic networking skills. I told them I'd like to do networking, and they made it sound like its 100% going to be my job.

My question is, how accurate is that? Not that there is anything wrong with infantry, its not my cup of tea. If you qualify for a job, and want it, do you get it? Or is it up to the army?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Brigadier General

Actually you'd probably have a harder time getting into Infantry this time of year. There are H.S. & college graduations this time of year & many are enlisting in the Army. There are lots of 11X enlistment contracts that go to them because many feel that's what they want to do for 3 or 4 years. They can always get a usable civilian occupation by taking advantage of the $50,000 education benefit when they get out.

Nothing that the Army, the Recruiter or anyone else is 100% reliable. Policies change sometimes weekly. The only time you're sure that you'll get the exact MOS you want with the exact options that you want is when you sit down with a MEPS Counselor & actually sign your contract. There are many factors that they have to look at before being assigned an MOS. Your ASVAB score, your physical exam, your background check & thre ability to be given a security clearance for some MOSs.

Most people have said that they scored better on the real ASVAB than on the practice ones. If that's true you probably would have gotten a few points more on the ASVAB taken for record.

I always tell people to study before going to MEPS. There are many study guides & practice tests found online via Google.

It's also a good idea to start working out so you can score good on the PT test before even shipping to basic. You don't want the Drill Sgts on your case if you're weak in that. They'll get you up to speed to enable you to graduate from BCT in most cases but don't let it come to that. APFT scores for your age group & gender can also be found via Google. You need to score 50% to pass BCT & 60% is a passing score once you get in a unit.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Nothing that the Army, the Recruiter or anyone else is 100% reliable. Policies change sometimes weekly. The only time you're sure that you'll get the exact MOS you want with the exact options that you want is when you sit down with a MEPS Counselor & actually sign your contract.
So before I am officially in the army, I will know what my job will be? Even if its not what I wanted at this very moment, I'll know before im locked in?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:27 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignignokt View Post
So before I am officially in the army, I will know what my job will be? Even if its not what I wanted at this very moment, I'll know before im locked in?
Don't sign a contract if you don't like what's in it. Don't sign either if they say they will add or remove something for you. Once you sign it--that's it.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:20 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Yes, more or less. You will take your ASVAB and then sit down with your recruiter and they will find you an MOS. At this point they have reserved a slot for you.. BUT (big but) it doesn't mean you have that MOS until you go back to MEPS for your physical after which you will sit down with a counselor and they will draw you up a contract. Make sure its the one you want before you go signing it. Once you have signed the contract you want...you're golden.

Oh, and generaly speaking, you'll score about 10-15 points on the real test compared to the practice. I scored a 76 on my practice and got a 90 on the real test. I did study though.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Before you officially in the Army you'll know what MOS you'll be going in as AFTER you sign the contract. Once the contract is signed reservations are made for BCT & AIT. You'll know what day you'll ship, where you'll go for BCT & how long & when you start AIT.

More than likely the MOS you want is MOS 25B, 25N or possibly a few more in the Signal Corps Branch.

With your typing skills you could go for MOS 42A, 42F, or 42L in Admin.

Start your MOS research to see which seems the best fit for you. Choose several so if there are no openings in one & you don't want to wait you can always go to Plan B or C.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.