armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Recruit

Default Thinking of Joining

Hey guys ive been thinking of joining the army for a while now but not really sure on what to do i have no clue what mos i want or anything and how in shape should you be? i bought this book The Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook i just wanted to know how on point is this?
and how in shape should i be in i cant run at all ( i get a mile in like 14 mins) but sit ups and push ups are to easy i get 80+ if i join it will be about a year away main reason i posted this because i really need help thanks.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

You better shave that mile time in half. Then increase distance.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
You better shave that mile time in half. Then increase distance.
when i first started i couldent even get that i work out 4 times a week at a gym so ill be ready by then

Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 PM
First Lieutenant

It sounds like you have the questions..now you just need the answers. Go to goarmy.com and then click "Careers and Jobs" in there is everything you will need to finding the right MOS for you. It even gives you a "test" that will help you narrow by your interests.

As for how in shape you need to be. Be in the best possible shape.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Recruit

thanks alot for that i have found something i have really been interested witch is being a MP but from what i have herd u have to be 21 and im only 18 or has this changed?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Brigadier General

The book is a good one. You have some time to get in shape & study for the ASVAB. Run two miles every other day. Don't worry about speed at first, just endurance. After a month throw in a five mile run once a week. Again, don't worry about speed. Try to decrease your time over a period of time. You'll get there.

If I can offer a suggestion - don't wait until next spring or summer to enlist. Beat the rush. There should be a better choice of MOSs & I wouldn't be surprised if bonuses come back strong. Be advised that you can sign your contract & delay your entry up to a year. All reservations for BCT & AIT/OSUT will still be in place regardless what's available when you ship out. Probably next January would be ideal to sign a contract. The first part of the month is best because the new MOS vacancy lists come out then. Start the process before the January graduations. Often times there's a seasonal bonus available then regardless whether your MOS choice is a bonus MOS.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Recruit

14 mins is really really slow for a mile. even me, in my not very good shape, can knock out a mile in 8 minutes. but all it takes is some trainign and no problems

Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljhuhu View Post
Wow! I’ve never heard of this before and I think they’re awesome!
This numpty needs a Doctor
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Corporal

Send a message via Yahoo to bgd8rd

Don't do it bro, the Army sucks. Speak to an Air Force recruiter first if you really want to join the military. If they'll take you, then do it. Yeah I know, their bonuses suck as in they don't have any but the Army is cutting theirs back too. If you need money for a certain reason, lets say to pay off debt or bills then it might not be a bad thing. If you're just looking at the dollar signs instead of the way of life and jobs you're going to be sorry. They Army might be for you but I think you'd be foolish to not speak with a AF recruiter. I did speak with a AF recruiter before joining the Army. I wanted my student loans repaid, done. I wanted a bonus to pay outstanding credit cards, done. They AF offered no bonus and only offered to repay 10,000 of my 14,000 dollar student loan. In that case the Army won big time. If you're starting fresh with no debt or college I'd go AF. Trust me dude, trust me.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
Don't do it bro, the Army sucks. Speak to an Air Force recruiter first if you really want to join the military. If they'll take you, then do it. Yeah I know, their bonuses suck as in they don't have any but the Army is cutting theirs back too. If you need money for a certain reason, lets say to pay off debt or bills then it might not be a bad thing. If you're just looking at the dollar signs instead of the way of life and jobs you're going to be sorry. They Army might be for you but I think you'd be foolish to not speak with a AF recruiter. I did speak with a AF recruiter before joining the Army. I wanted my student loans repaid, done. I wanted a bonus to pay outstanding credit cards, done. They AF offered no bonus and only offered to repay 10,000 of my 14,000 dollar student loan. In that case the Army won big time. If you're starting fresh with no debt or college I'd go AF. Trust me dude, trust me.
You sure won't get far in the Army with an attitude like that. No wonder you have it so hard. You attitude will make it increasingly more difficult.

I spent 21 years in the Army, enjoyed it but not every minute of course. Promotions came when they should have & sometimes even sooner than expected. I also enjoyed my 6 years in the Navy. I only lost one grade from E6 to E5 in the switch after 14 years of civilian life.

My son got off of active duty a year ago & loved every minute of it (except 30AG Reception Station). Once he finishes school he might even go back in. He opted to join a Reserve unit.

A very good friend of ours, a young man who was in our judo club is almost finished with his 8th year in the USAF. He just made E6. My son was in the Army for 4 years & 16 weeks & came out a SGT & shortly after he got to his Reserve unit he was promoted to SSG. Had he stayed on active duty he would have been promoted to E6 immediately after signing the reenlistment contract.
The Army was good to me & it was an exciting life. Trust me. Trust me
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.