armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Recruit

Default PT help - I'm in deep $#!*

I ship out in 2 weeks and need some serious help here. I did my pre-BCT 1-1-1 PT test today. I'm 6' and 190 pounds. I did 52 push ups, 50 sit ups so I'm fine there, but I ran my 1 mile run in 9:30 and I need to have it down under 8:30 before I ship or my recruiter said I could lose my MOS and bonuses. He had me run on a quarter mile track, my first lap was 1:45, second lap was 4:23, third lap was 7:00 and last was 9:30. He asked if it was my muscles or my lungs that was the problem and I told him my lungs. He told me to run 3 miles three times a week on the track, but to sprint the straight aways and walk the curves and that would increase my lung capacity. I noticed that when I get tired, I take shorter breaths and smaller steps. PLEASE, any help...training suggestions....anything that will help me, food tips, hydration. I'm on my hands and knees here begging. whatever will whip me into shape. This is the first time I've actually been nervous about basic, and now I'm really %^$@# anxious about it. I've been on the boards before and you guys have provided invaluable information, but this is the first time I've written anything...please help!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Captain

When you get to BCT they will give you a diagnostic PT test. It's a diagnostic to see where you are. Their job is to break you down and build you up. Your recruiting station may have that standard in place to pass your PT test before you ship out to help you be successful, but the point of BCT is to get you where you need to be. I've never heard that not passing a diagnostic PT test will cause you to lose your MOS or Bonus..failing a record APFT yes..because that means you could be recycled. I can't speak for your recruiting station but you would be surprised at how many Soldiers fail their APFT's the first time they take it. I would say not to worry about it, but you will.

Run up hills or put a steep incline and run on a treadmill, and make sure you stretch your legs when you run.

I think you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Brigadier General

Too bad you didn't post on here before. I would have asked how your PT was & pushed you to try to max the PT test for your age group before shipping. I don't know how much time you had in the DEP but that time could have been spent getting in shape.

I got my son prepared while he was waiting to ship & he found Infantry OSUT a snap, Airborne School PT a joke, & had no particular hard time in RIP or Ranger School.

Just do what your recruiter told you. Try your hardest & don't give up. Go the extra yard when you don't think you can go an extra foot. (I'm beginning to sound like a freakin' cheerleader!)

Don't stop doing push-ups & sit-ups. Throw some pull-ups in also.

My son got off of active duty from the 3rd Ranger Batt. 2 months ago & still does his PT daily.

Never, never quit.

Good luck & keep us informed on how things are going.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Staff Sergeant

Run every day.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky