Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Recruit

Default Army rangers

Hello,
I just have one doubt.
I plan to join the army by the time i finish collage, in about 6 years, By that time i'll be 24.

I really wish to become an army ranger and i wonder, is there any maximum age requirement to join the Army Rangers?

Plus, how long would the training with the A.R. last?

That should be all for now

Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Private First Class

Gotcha covered. If you make your current dates as you listed you'll have time to spare. Word of advice from long and short tabbers I've worked with and under, prep early. Much as the old coveted slogan used to be (and should've stayed) "Be all you can be," don't half *** it, those guys are truly amoung the best.

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/18x.htm[/url]

Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Brigadier General

I'm not sure what the maximum age for getting into the 75th Ranger Regiment is but one of the guys in my son's squad was in his mid 30s when he enlisted on a Ranger contract.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how long would the training in the A.R. last".

If you mean how long is the Ranger training then I can answer that.

First off it depends on what MOS you're planning on enlisting with. If you have a plan on going in as Infantry you'll have a 16 week Basic plus Infantry School run together as one station unit training (OSUT). After that it's a 3 week Airborne School. When you get your jump wings you'll go to Ranger Indoc (RIP) which lasts about 3 weeks. Sometime after getting into the 75th Ranger Regt. you'll be sent to a Pre-Ranger course given by your unit to prepare you for Ranger School. I think that's about 2-3 weeks. If you go to Ranger School right out of RIP they normally will skip Pre-Ranger. Ranger School lasts 62 days & is conducted by the Ranger Training Brigade.

Upon completion of RIP you'll be assigned to one of the 3 battalions of the 75th Ranger Regt., will wear the tan beret & the Ranger Scroll denoting which battalion you're in. After Ranger School you'll wear the ranger Tab above that scroll.

It's not too early to get yourself in Ranger shape. Many wash out of RIP so make sure you can meet the requirements before you enlist. Those requirements are a whole lot harder than the Army standard.

Things may change a lot between now & when you actually enlist but at this time the best way to get into the 75th is to get an 11X/Airborne/Option 40 contract. That guarantees you Infantry OSUT, Airborne School & RIP. However there are no guarantees that you'll make the grade. That's entirely up to you. Plan on passing the 17-21 year age group PT test with a minimum score of 80% regardless of your age. There are a lot more physical requirements that I won't get into at this time. Sufficient to say do a lot of running & do them fast & long runs. Pushups, situps & pullups are also good to start at right now.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Recruit

Default ..

Wow... thanks!
I'm surely up for it!
My only concern was the age detail since i wish to finish collage first before i entered Active duty.
But with all the info you've just provided me, i understand that it will be quite a hardship but i know i will make my way to becoming a Ranger.

I guess i'll have to start running then... =D

Thanks a lot, i appreciate your response.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Private

Default life after a ranger

i have a question, after you finish and become a army ranger how often do you get to see your wife and kids...if your married of course and living on base? i heard you obviously train usually at 6 am till 5 pm 5 to six days a week. is this true? or ar you training for weeks at a time without seeingtem?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Brigadier General

Being away from Home Station is a way of life in the Army regardless which unit you're in. Without getting too deeply into Ranger ops due to OPSEC I can tell you that deployments are shorter so you have more training time which is necessary because Rangers aren't doing everything that they're required to do at some other deployment & need the specialized training. There are things that they do in Iraq & Afghanistan that don't include what they might have to do some time in the future.

When my son was in he was at Ft. Benning & was sent to Ft. Lewis, WA, Ft. Campbell, KY, Ft. Bragg, NC & a few other places for training, usually two weeks or so. He was deployed to Iraq 4 times & Afghanistan once but the deployments were shorter than in the Big Army.

You won't be getting any less time than anybody else in the Army to be with your family. Sure there will be many overnighters in a Ranger Batt & you'll not be getting home while in RIP & Ranger School but there again it's the same Army-wide. My son had most weekends off with the exception of when he was at a different post for training or had the duty just like the rest of the Army.

The posts that you'd be assigned as a Ranger are Ft. Lewis, Ft. Benning or Hunter Army Airfield, GA (near Ft. Stewart).
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 11-18-2008 at 11:30 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Private

thank you for your comment, these are some of the things i needed to clarify.