Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Current Events
User Name
Password

Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Private First Class

Default 7 Marines, 1 sailor charged with murder

Accused service members held over April 26 death of Iraqi civilian

Updated: 8:32 p.m. ET June 21, 2006
WASHINGTON - Seven Marines and a sailor have been charged with murder in the April death of an Iraqi civilian, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

All eight also were charged with kidnapping, according to a Marine statement issued at Camp Pendleton, Calif. Other charges include conspiracy, larceny and providing false official statements.

Separately, the U.S. military in Iraq announced that murder charges were filed against a fourth Army soldier in the shooting deaths May 9 of three civilians who had been detained by U.S. troops. Spc. Juston R. Graber, 20, of the 101st Airborne Division was charged with one count of premeditated murder, one count of attempted premeditated murder, one count of conspiracy to commit murder, and making a false official statement.

On Monday the military had announced that three soldiers of the 101st Airborne Division were charged with murder and other offenses in connection with the May 9 killings. It was not clear why charges against the fourth soldier were not announced until Wednesday.

In the case of the April 26 killing of an Iraqi civilian, the allegation is that Marines pulled an unarmed man from his home in Hamdania and shot him to death without provocation. Seven Marines and one Navy corpsman from the Pendleton-based 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment were taken out of Iraq and put in the brig pending the filing of charges.

The Marine Corps identified the eight as: Marine Sgt. Lawrence G. Hutchins III, Marine Cpl. Trent D. Thomas, Navy Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Melson J. Bacos, Marine Lance Cpl. Tyler A. Jackson, Marine Pfc. John J. Jackson, Marine Lance Cpl. Jerry E. Shumate Jr., Marine Lance Cpl. Robert B. Pennington, and Marine Cpl. Marshall L. Magincalda.

The case is separate from the alleged killing by other Marines of 24 Iraqi civilians at Haditha last November. A pair of investigations related to that case are still under way and no criminal charges have been filed.

The accused will be assigned military lawyers at no cost to the servicemen, although they have the choice of hiring their own civilian attorneys

Old 12-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Private First Class

When will George be charged with Murder ? He put these young boys in Iraq .So maybe he should be held responsible also

Old 12-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Reitlinger View Post
When will George be charged with Murder ? He put these young boys in Iraq .So maybe he should be held responsible also
He is directly legally responsible for launching an illegal war - a crime known as 'aggression'. The sentence under US law is Death.

No excuse for these jerks on trial now - if they are guilty they should be put down like dogs.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

I don't think that George should be punished for what these bastards did. But Let the Justice system see em through. I doubt that they'll be sentanced to death. But they could be looking at a lengthy jail period. *Cough* Life *Cough*

Old 12-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Army Airborn Rangers and leathernecks in Iraq fighting and now are charged with three counts of murder. Madness.

If their guilty of murder then so be it. They should get what's coming to them.
Iraq is a bad scene and it just doesn't seem to want to get better.My close friends are leaving in two weeks to that **** hole bum of a place and where going over there to help in operation Iraqi freedom and for what ....the people don't even like us and don't want us there. When was the last time you saw any Iraqi anywhere in the world saying thank you?

Trying to build up a place where all's they know is how to kill and destroy...I'll serve my country with pride and do my job well but...in the long run things will get better but at what cost and for what? Sorry to be off topic....War is hell. Lets not keep up with the info how the T's are made to look like sweethearts and where made to like soldiers without a cause. F74k the T's. When the real facts in this case come out? Let justice be served.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 12-23-2006 at 08:38 AM..

Old 12-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
I don't think that George should be punished for what these bastards did. But Let the Justice system see em through. I doubt that they'll be sentanced to death. But they could be looking at a lengthy jail period. *Cough* Life *Cough*
If a couple of my close freinds had been blown up . I may also be looking for some form of revenge . Not right ,but understandable .When you put young men in horrendous situations .Don't be surprised when things F-ck up occasionally !

Old 12-23-2006, 04:42 PM
General of the Armies

Allot of valid points being made there people, and allow me to add to the pot on this one...

The motivation for the alleged executions may well be understandable but professional soldiers should have better descipline levels and have exercised professional restraint.... Thats what seperates us in combat from the Ts....

The fact that servicemen are accused of serious crimes does give rise to questions over the men involved and possibly the command and control structures in their unit, but to use it as a Bush Bashing tool is not credible...

We need to let the court martials go ahead as normal, and the defendants get their right to defend themselves under military court and THEN accept their judgements for their proven misdeeds.... Max penalties for such criminal behavour... if proven to be that of course...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

I think there was a topic earlier about Haditha. I agree that The troops were spooked. I would be. The bad thing about the insurgency and something that grunts learn early is that the fighters sneek back into the civilian world. I think that fire control brke down and as a result some innocents were hurt. **** happens in war. It is their fault that innocents are dead, but when you're atacked, you want to kill the ****ers who killed your buddy.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
I think there was a topic earlier about Haditha. I agree that The troops were spooked. I would be. The bad thing about the insurgency and something that grunts learn early is that the fighters sneek back into the civilian world. I think that fire control brke down and as a result some innocents were hurt. **** happens in war. It is their fault that innocents are dead, but when you're atacked, you want to kill the ****ers who killed your buddy.
The problems start when you lose sight of your goal

Old 12-24-2006, 06:12 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Spike is right.... you cannot allow your descipline to be comprimised for a sneak paramilitary attack that takes your buddy... its tuff but getting focus on nailing the real bad guys each and every day should be the goal, not pritty but reality for real world progress in those terms.....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"