armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Recruit

Default 14 year old want to join the army

Hey i am a 14 year old kid who wants to join the army After i finish high school (and that is in 4 years.. im a freshman now) and i was wondering what i could do to prepare and what i could do just in genral so i can have a running start when i get in.

any info would help because i have wanted to join the army for a long time (5 years old)

thx

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Start working out ASAP. Starting early has helped me stay fit through high school and will help me now that I am in College. I ship for Parris Island next summer, hopefully in the best shape of my life.

Keep your grades up and your nose clean. A clean record makes enlistment much simpler. Good grades are going to keep your mind sharp and your outlook, focused. Prep for the ASVAB early wouldn't hurt either.

Start looking into MOSs now. Think about what you want to do in the military and learn the details of the job descriptions to help you make an informed decision that won't leave you steaming in the wrong MOS.

Start to think about what you want to do with your life. Is the military really something you are willing to commit to? You will be doing a lot of growing up in high school. Focus shifts, interests change. Make sure that going directly into the military is something you want to set your sights on. Is College in your future? Either while serving or before. The Officer path (My chosen path) was the best fit for me. Maybe it will be for you as well. Keep your options open and above all stay out of trouble.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
Start working out ASAP. Starting early has helped me stay fit through high school and will help me now that I am in College. I ship for Parris Island next summer, hopefully in the best shape of my life.

Keep your grades up and your nose clean. A clean record makes enlistment much simpler. Good grades are going to keep your mind sharp and your outlook, focused. Prep for the ASVAB early wouldn't hurt either.

Start looking into MOSs now. Think about what you want to do in the military and learn the details of the job descriptions to help you make an informed decision that won't leave you steaming in the wrong MOS.

Start to think about what you want to do with your life. Is the military really something you are willing to commit to? You will be doing a lot of growing up in high school. Focus shifts, interests change. Make sure that going directly into the military is something you want to set your sights on. Is College in your future? Either while serving or before. The Officer path (My chosen path) was the best fit for me. Maybe it will be for you as well. Keep your options open and above all stay out of trouble.
Good advise Snipe! I couldnt have said it better. I will say one more thing..include running in your workouts. Run as often as you can because during my time on Parris Island, I saw plenty of recruits fail because of their inability to run for distance. I'm not exactly sure how much emphasis the Army puts on running, but run anyway. Snipe hit the nail on the head.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Brigadier General

Sniper Alpha said it all.

Preparation is everything. Physical & mental.

My son went in shortly after he graduated & just got out a few months ago from 4 years, 16 weeks of active duty. He was an Army Ranger in the 3rd Ranger Battalion. Now he's just started a Criminal Justice course which the Montgomery GI Bill is paying for plus he's getting paid to go from both the VA & the state. He's also in a Reserve unit which he joined before getting off of active duty to get a $10,000 bonus & a guarantee not to be deployed for 2 years.

There are certain advantages of going Active Army before college. The advantage of getting your degree first is being able to go in as an officer through ROTC for 4 years while in school or OCS after graduation if you qualify.

If you decide to go to college before joining choose a school with an Army ROTC program. You may even qualify for a scholarship. Can't give you many details as that's 4 years away & things change in that period of time.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
things change in that period of time.
This is the truth. I knew in high school that i had 2 options that I had chosen for myself. Option 1 was college ball. Option 2 was the Marine Corps. Number one didn't happen for various reasons so I went with option 2. I dont regret it one bit. I waivered a little between my freshman year and graduation though. It does happen. You may want to do something totally different with your life by that time. If not, follow you heart.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Brigadier General

Great points made by Snipes MSG and Marine..all i would say is first things first.. education for now is key mate... that should be your main focus..I came out of school knowning i could and should have done better..you have four years to max your grades and then go for it(if you still feel the same in four years)...i was always told cross a bridge when you come to it(but theres no harm in getting ready for it...step by step)

Loads can happen in four years kid... dont spoil today banking on tomorrow..Education now and then assess the situation

Good luck kid....all the best
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر