armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Recruit

Default thinking about it.....

i dont know if this is the right place to post this message (new here) but i have been thinking of joining the military. whats makeing me hesitate is well....im not in very good shape and i consider myself not to strong. will i be able to join go through basics and push myself as hard as i can to meet the requirments and hopefully get in better shape? or should i wait a little and start working out at home (i have access to a tredmil at home if this helps in anyway) thank you t othose who help.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default work out

start doing push ups sit ups and get on that treadmill do a little at first get yourself prepared now do 20 push ups wait one minute do 20 sit ups wait one minute and do 20 jump n jacks wait one minute and do over do this 5 times and you will be up to 100 helps with getting your body into shape plus it helps with cardio once you can do this with no problem go up a little 25 push ups sit ups etc and start running it will help get yourself into a routine

Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool APFT- Award Winning Attitude....

It sounds like you need alot more time. I received two Army APFT awards for bct and AAS. You need to be in shape. The Army can and will hold you back if you cannot meet the requirments..My schedule workouts are a little over the top for you right now..But I can help.
U.S. Army Physical Fitness Charts

Push-ups 55
Sit-Ups 64
Running (2 Miles) 16:30
This is the minimum requirments.. Keep in mind.. Army Basic Training is the most physically intensive. If you are not physically active, you'll want to start preparing yourself a couple of months before leaving for boot camp. Concentrate on running (both sprints and distance), push-ups, and sit-ups, as these are the basis for both the "pre-test" and the final PT Test.
Listen up kid..Your on the right track but you need to attack the type of training that will make you go 100% and beyond. Keep it simple at first but as time goes on get down to a schedule and work that sucker...Your push-up's need to improve...Big time. Keep safety in mind always..

If you follow this workout ..I promise...You'll be so right and ready..You'll fly through basic and get an A+ on your APFT.
1.Upper- Body Strength
2.Leg Strength
3.Torso/Core Strength
4.Fitness/Flexibilty

Strength is never a negative. Lack of flexibity is.....

Lack of flexibity, often associated with lifting weights, is not a result of strength training if proper training techniques are preformed and stretching is an integral part of your daily work out program.

Stretching/warm-ups Start each morning by stretching.
1. Torso twist
2.Left arm over the right side of your back grabbing your right hand. Then other side.
3. Sit with legs together and slowly fall face first to your knees.
4.Sit with Legs far apart and slowly fall face first to one knee then the middle of the floor then the other knee.
5. Stand and bend over and slowly and fall with your face touching your knees.
6.Lean against a wall and fall forward while concertrating on keeping your heels to the floor.

Fitness
1.Run eveyday and don't worry about the times at first but concertrate on your distance..3 miles..work till you get to five..
2.Also run sprints every other day. 10..20..40..50..75..100. Suicide drills...
3.Cone work..skip the cone set-up with legs together and jump 15 cones and then side to side...
4.Jump rope everyday
5.dbl vertical jumps (legs together and jump as high and as far as you can).

Core /Torso Training

1. Crunches
2.Full Crunches
3.Leg Raise Crunches
4.Elbow to opposite knee Crunches
5.Sit -ups
6. Reverse Sit-ups on bench..Hands behind your head
On active rest days push-ups, un-weighted squats, abs, and a moderate 30 minute aerobic activity should be completed.

Weights- Keep it safe. Keep it simple.
Weight training
Upper Body Strength. Intensity is the key to Weight training..Do not miss training workouts..
1.100 push-ups on a daily basis.
2. one-arm dumbbell rows (bent over)one knee on bench
3.Biceps curls (free weights)
4.Hammer curls
5.Dumbbell bench press (free wights)
7.Bench press
8.Dumbbell fly's
9.Wrist Curls
10.Standing military press
11. Upright Row (up to your chin) hands together at the center of the bar

Lower Body
1.Lower Squats
2.Leg Curls
3.Leg Extensions
4.Lunge
Strength is the key element in:
Power-As our brilliant engineers will tell you..Power=Strength/Time. A more powerful soldier can start and stop quicker..stay in the race longer..and dominate.
Speed-Speed is highly correlated with specific strength. As the specific strength of a soldier improves, the greater his potential.

If you follow this workout ..I promise...You'll be so right and ready..You'll fly through basic and get an A+ on your APFT....

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Staff Sergeant

Wink

My son was not in bad shape. He did HVAC work before he left. So he had great leg streght but the upper part needed help. He went in a 38 X 36 and now he is 35 X36. He was wearing xlarge shirts and now he is in a med.

They will put you n shape! The PT test are were they get you. Don't know why but the pussh ups were his problem. They said it had to do with the upper body part. Some said it was they way you do the push ups. I dont know for sure but he made it!

I always told my childern if you want it bad enough, you have to hang in there till you get it. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Sergeant First Class

follow nightflyers routine and you will be alright dont slack and start getting out of bad habits pop smokes get up a little early and watch what you eat get yourself in a good routine now

Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Brigadier General

Before you enlist & certainly while in the delayed entry program you have to get yourself in shape! My son was also a wrestler & did Judo since he was 10 years old, did strengthening excercises, etc. I worked his butt off while he was waiting to ship to Infantry OSUT. Lots of running, 4 miles a day & he was still involved in judo & was a trainer at our judo club's Nautilus Fitness Center. He found Infantry OSUT & Airborne School a snap & Ranger Indoctrination easier than most had experienced.

In addition to Nightflyer's excellent chart here's a website that'll give you what the requirements for the AFPT by age are.

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm[/url]

And this next one is for Basic Training PT requirements. There's probably some redundancies with Nightflyer's chart but it'll be a good referance.

[url]http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/army-basic-training-pft[/url]
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Brigadier General

Cool PT Training and beyond.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
In addition to Nightflyer's excellent chart here's a website that'll give you what the requirements for the AFPT by age are.

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm[/url]

And this next one is for Basic Training PT requirements. There's probably some redundancies with Nightflyer's chart but it'll be a good referance.

[url]http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/army-basic-training-pft[/url]
Thanxs, MSG Glenn.
We're always here to help the NG's ..Fly through....

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assult.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Private

whats up nightflyer you seem pretty cool bout all this..ya dig

Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82AirborneINF View Post
Nightflyer's always cool about most things.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82AirborneINF View Post
Thanks, kid..I got all your pm's..ya dig..

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia.
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 04-02-2008 at 05:29 PM..