armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 11-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Recruit

Exclamation House fire has destroyed paperwork

I had a house fire that destroyed my honorable discharge papers. Does anyone know what I need to do to get another copy of these? I need it really bad right now in order to take the postal exam for the job that I would like. Thank you for any information that you could come up with.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Private

Ask your old Adj.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Private

Smile

The County Courthouse Where You Live Should Have A Copy
Of These. Try The Local Va Office. Phone # Should Be
In The Blue Pages Of The Phonebook Good Luck

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Default Official Site

Uncle Fester,

Let me shed some light on the subject. You hill need to go to the National Archives website. [URL="http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/"]Here is a link.[/URL]
Quote:
How to Initiate a Request for Military Personnel Records:

1. Click on the "Request Military Records" button below to start. This will launch a separate window.

2. Enter the required information in the system to create your customized request form. There are 4 steps that you need to navigate. The system will guide you through the steps and tell you exactly which step you are on.

3. Print, sign and date the signature verification area of your customized form. If you don't have a printer, have a pen and paper handy and we will guide you through the process. This is important because the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. 552a) requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing. Each request must be signed and dated by the veteran or next of kin.

4. Mail or fax your signature verification form to us, and we will process your request. You must do this within the first 20 days of entering your request, or your request will be removed from our system.
Those are the steps to follow once you go to the Archives site. The form you need is your DD-214. This is your discharge form. I hope this helps.

(This can be used if you are the next of kin of someone who has passed away also.)

Grimm

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral David Farragut