armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Private First Class

Default Finally back from MEPS

Well guys after three long days at meps I am finally back home. I got the job i wanted (11x with option 4 and 40) and I ship to Fort Benning August 11th. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with information regarding enlistment and airborne ranger training. Just have to start running everyday now, and bring down my two and five mile times. Any ideas on how to bring down my times quickly on the five mile run?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Corporal

congrats.You deserive it.and on the running thing jus run everyday thats about the best i can tell you or run with some extra weight on you

Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Private

Start with 2lb ankle wieghts. It's amazing how fast they will bring up your tone and endurance when working towards improving your time. If your dedicated enough and find that to easy, then switch to the 5lbs ones. You can find them cheap at any Walmart or Shopko.

Jason

Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Private First Class

Makes sense, i'll try the weights. Does anyone know the minimum 5-mile run time in RIP?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS09 View Post
Makes sense, i'll try the weights. Does anyone know the minimum 5-mile run time in RIP?
The 5 mile run in RIP has to be no slower than 8 minute per mile .

Congratulations on the Option 40. I don't understand why you gat both an Option 4 & an Option 40. Option 4 is for Airborne School only. Option 40 automatically includes Airborne School before RIP therefore an option 4 contract is not needed. I hope they aren't wasting an Option 4 & have you down for two slots at Airborne School.

It's possible that they're doing it a bit different these days. My son's enlistment incentive on his contract read "Option 40" with no mention of option 4.

Be careful running with weights. I used to do it all the time but not too long ago I read that it's hard on the knees & back. There supposedly were a lot of needless injuries traced directly to ankle weights. Wanna buy some? I've got probably 4 pair at varying weights.

My advice is to run 2-3 miles every other day with a long run of at least 5 miles once a week. Five miles in 40 minutes is not bad at all. Use the off days to work on upper body & swimming.

Your 5 mile run is normally on the first day. Be prepared for the 12 mile ruck march. The ruck will weigh at least 35 lbs & it'll be weighed by an instructor. It's done in a maximum of 3 hours. You'll have 6 & 8 mile conditioning marches first.

Don't forget the Combat Water Test. You must swim a minimum of 15 meters fully clothed with boots, LBE & ACUs.

My son worked under the idea of being the best soldier you can be all the way through your training. Even in BCT after about 3 days he found that by volunteering for everything that came up he actually had it easier. Try to be the fastes, the strongest, the most accurate shot, the smartest. Not that you'll actually be the Honor Graduate but it's the trying that's important. Just be virtue of being an Option 40 means that you're a volunteer many times over - enlisting in the Army, Airborne School, RIP, & eventually Ranger School.

Good luck!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 05-07-2009 at 05:08 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 PM
First Sergeant

Congratulations! Good to hear you got the MOS you wanted. Bet your happy to be done with MEPS for now.

To get your run times down, do what the others said and just run alot. Running with the weights will help, but I find that running with a backpack full of about 40 pounds helps too.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Private First Class

Congrats! on getting the mos you wanted.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Corporal

HUGE congrats bro!