armyreal.com Forum's Home

ArmyReal.com Forums (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basic Training (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Glasses for Basic & OCS (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5571)

Carpy 12-17-2007 10:51 PM

Glasses for Basic & OCS

Hey guys,
I'm currently pursuing Army's OCS. I want to fly but I guess I'm going to have to work my way up to it. For one thing, my vision is 20/200 uncorrected in both eyes. From what I've read, I'm going to have to get the huge ugly glasses with a strap for Basic and OCS. Aren't these going to be a pain?

Would you recommend looking into PRK before I go to basic in about 5 months?

If so, are there documents on what the pre-op and post-op requirements are and if PRK is the right surgery to get? Am I better up toughing through it and have the Army do it for free after I'm commissioned?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

kmullins 12-19-2007 11:18 AM

yes you get the big ugly glasses! i dont know about having that surgery before going to basic, but i don know that my husband was looking into getting it before going to iraq, but they have a time from you must have it done by before you can go. needless to say he couldnt get it done, but after basic and ait, they do have better frames for you to choose from.

FutureCombatMedic 12-19-2007 02:50 PM

I forget what they are called, but all the things i have read said these glasses guarantee you not to get laid..

Carpy 12-19-2007 07:09 PM

birth control glasses. Yea I know.

MSG Glenn 12-20-2007 02:57 PM

I'd lay off the PRK or any surgery unless the Army clears you for it. You might have to wait a few months before enlisting. Better check it out from a recruiter before electing to get the surgery. Don't go the Lasik route. the last I heard you have to wait a year after surgery to enlist.

The Army is offering PRK surgery but you'll be put on a waiting list. My son's been on one for over a year. Every time his number comes up he's overseas.

As far as the Birth Control Devices - eveyone who wears glasses will be wearing them. Just like your haircut; everyone will look the same. You won't be standing alone in a crowd. Be glad you don't have to pay for those ugly monsters! I'm sure you wouldn't like to break your custom stylish $500 glasses in training. Once out of BCT & OCS you can wear your own specs. I don't wear glasses but if I did I'd rather wear issue glasses in a combat situation.

FutureCombatMedic 12-21-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG Glenn (Post 54394)
I'd lay off the PRK or any surgery unless the Army clears you for it. You might have to wait a few months before enlisting. Better check it out from a recruiter before electing to get the surgery. Don't go the Lasik route. the last I heard you have to wait a year after surgery to enlist.

The Army is offering PRK surgery but you'll be put on a waiting list. My son's been on one for over a year. Every time his number comes up he's overseas.

As far as the Birth Control Devices - eveyone who wears glasses will be wearing them. Just like your haircut; everyone will look the same. You won't be standing alone in a crowd. Be glad you don't have to pay for those ugly monsters! I'm sure you wouldn't like to break your custom stylish $500 glasses in training. Once out of BCT & OCS you can wear your own specs. I don't wear glasses but if I did I'd rather wear issue glasses in a combat situation.

True, What I plain to do is take my bonus and have eye surgery done after AIT.

Alaina 12-31-2007 02:41 AM

BCGs...god I hated them and for me they got in the way when I fired my m16. They were huge and my helmet would slide down just a bit but it was big enough to push my BCGs down. Very frustrating but it did have benefits. I remember what I used, but I was able to shove something in front of my left eye between my glasses and my eye to cover my eye. Helped with aiming. Hehe. Drill Sgt's never found out.

Nightflyer 12-31-2007 09:04 AM

The Doggs.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaina (Post 54843)
I was able to shove something in front of my left eye between my glasses and my eye to cover my eye. Helped with aiming. Hehe. Drill Sgt's never found out.

She, made it look easy.. No big deal.. Alaina, you could be a Dogg.....We like that.

Go out and get yourself professional pairs of sawfly's or willey X's....highspeed... hardcore ..make it look easy.....

The Dogg,
Nightflyer. Highspeed.
Army Avation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever. The V's.....

Exo1 12-31-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightflyer (Post 54844)
She, made it look easy.. No big deal.. Alaina, you could be a Dogg.....We like that.

Go out and get yourself professional pairs of sawfly's or willey X's....highspeed... hardcore ..make it look easy.....

The Dogg,
Nightflyer. Highspeed.
Army Avation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever. The V's.....

Sawflys are cool... Tactical glasses are the way to go especially in house clearing.....:cool:

irishsoldier33 02-22-2008 04:07 PM

birth control glasses

the glasses are called birth control glasses. They are guaranteed to make you not get any, while you are wearing them!!!:(