armyreal.com Forum's Home

ArmyReal.com Forums (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/index.php)
-   Enlistment Information (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   enlisting: awkward situtation (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7843)

nightspider 02-13-2009 04:35 PM

enlisting: awkward situtation

i havent realy been able to find anything on my situation i have talked to a recruiter and they didnt know to much so im hopeing i can find some info on here. im basicaly wanting to know if i can still join the military/army, im 28yrs old with no high school deploma or ged due to bad family situation when i was younger, i have no criminal past or anything just a bad parent and i ended up moving out on my own, I had kids early in life and now have 5 kids under the age of 10 and i have been in a relationship for almost 9 years but we are not married. Our situation in life is not that great living from pay check to pay check and in an apartment and i wanted to do something great with my life and better my family so i have been looking in to the military mainly the army its something i have wanted to do for a while now, i have had cousins that joined the military and past family members and i just feel its what i need to do in my life. id want to become a commissioned officer if id did persue a career in the military. So with my current situation would i still be able to persue a career in the military/army or what would i still have to do to be able to do so? is it to late for me? if its to late for officer training/schooling what would i be eligible for ?

thanks for your info
nightspider

Armygirl4Ever 02-15-2009 07:53 AM

At a minimum you need a GED. There is a program that can help you get your GED but you have to meet a certain criteria to get it. To be an officer you need to have a college degree so that option is out for you.

If you did enlist, you would only receive benefits for yourself, not your fiance. If all your children live with you, you could receive benefits for them. Your best option would to get your GED and get married, that's the best way it would benefit you.

I'm not sure about the recruiter you talked to because they would at a minimum be able to tell you that you need a GED or high school diploma.

Good luck!

shorty32 02-15-2009 09:11 AM

ged first

Get you GED and start from there when you get to take the asvab(after the GED)you need to score 50 or better to recieve a bonus then get married because as soon as you leave for basic everyone will have benefits plus bah for your area(basic housing allowance)having no criminal past helps alot.plus once you get to your first duty station you can get housing you will probably go in as a e-1 or e-2 so your pay won't be great but with housing you don't pay for water heat etc. just basic bill's phone cable internet car insurance plus if you still want to be a officer get college money and get a degree after you make sgt. you can put in a packet to go to ocs officer canidate school but the first thing is to get a ged talk to your recuiter if he is not willing to help find another one

nightspider 02-15-2009 01:14 PM

thanks guys that helped a lot appresiate it :D

nightspider

Gunbunny13 02-15-2009 10:56 PM

The bright side is that you spell like an officer.

MSG Glenn 02-16-2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunbunny13 (Post 75612)
The bright side is that you spell like an officer.

:D
Specially like a ofiser with lotsa ejikayshun.

Nilrem 02-21-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG Glenn (Post 75629)
:D
Specially like a ofiser with lotsa ejikayshun.

Thought you was in the Army...why are you typing like a Marine?

:confused: :p

MSG Glenn 02-21-2009 06:00 AM

When I was Navy UDT we worked a lot with Marines & some of it must have rubbed off. It comes & goes. The dirtier I am the more it shows. When I have just taken a shower, like now, I can type & spell just fine. Go figure.