armyreal.com Forum's Home

ArmyReal.com Forums (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Military Discussions (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Happy Veterans Day (http://www.armyreal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7097)

Spike 11-11-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Army Mom (Post 71839)
I respect that Texas. Where I was raised - we thanked our veterans with smiles, hugs, balloons, parades - just wanting the veterans to know that they are thought about, loved and appreciated. While I understand need for private respect and sombre days, I hope you can understand my hope that veterans find happiness in their life and know that they are loved and appreciated --- just different outlooks --- nothing to scratch your head about.

Well looking after the living is something that you should do every day. 11th Nov to us is something quite different, its when we remember our war dead. You shouldn't confuse the two things, its disrespectful

New Army Mom 11-11-2008 01:47 PM

I give up --- I meant no disrespect in Britain by wishing Veterans have a "Happy" day. But while you have your own traditions and are asking that I respect and understand them - I hope you can respect and understand mine. That is all I am asking.

In American history - Veterans Day was only signed into law in 1954 after an Emporia, Kansas, shoe store owner named Al King had the idea to expand Armistice Day to celebrate all veterans, not just those who served in World War I. King had been actively involved with the American War Dads during World War II. He began a campaign to turn Armistice Day into "All" Veterans Day. The Emporia Chamber of Commerce took up the cause after determining that 90% of Emporia merchants as well as the Board of Education supported closing their doors on November 11, 1953, to honor veterans. With the help of then-U.S. Rep. Ed Rees, also from Emporia, a bill for the holiday was pushed through Congress. President Dwight Eisenhower signed it into law on May 26, 1954.

Congress amended this act on November 8, 1954, replacing "Armistice" with Veterans, and it has been known as Veterans Day since. We not only remember our dead on this day - but celebrate the life of our veterans - not only those who have fallen, but those who are with us today.

We are just from different places and different cultures. You see things your way - I seen things mine. Where I come from - wishing someone a Happy day is never "disrespectful".

SniperAlpha1 11-11-2008 02:02 PM

Well there is a major difference between Armistice Day and Veteran's Day. Here in the states it is a way to make the day of a veteran a little bit better. Grade schools hold concerts, parades. It is a happy day and it's our holiday. Gladiator went ahead and questioned a country's line of thinking.

Spike 11-11-2008 02:07 PM

Well I guess your perspective on WW1 is coloured by the fact that you missed out to a large extent. Which would explain Pershing's insane behaviour on that final day of World War 1.

Please carry on celebrating an apocolyptic event, the magnitude of which fails to resonate with you.

Enjoy your cheese and salsa dips!

SniperAlpha1 11-11-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 71845)
Well I guess your perspective on WW1 is coloured by the fact that you missed out to a large extent. Which would explain Pershing's insane behaviour on that final day of World War 1.

Please carry on celebrating an apocolyptic event, the magnitude of which fails to resonate with you.

Enjoy your cheese and salsa dips!

We used to celebrate Armistice Day, a somber day. However, we felt that honoring all of those who have served seemed a bit more appropriate.

New Army Mom 11-11-2008 02:24 PM

Sorry Spike that you don't get it --- We are not celebrating an "apocolyptic event" or even "Remembrance Day" --- Here in the states we are celebrating "Veterans Day" - or "All Veterans Day" - A day our government declared as a holiday to celebrate those who serve and have served. You should not belittle or suggest disrespect because we were taught (by our parents and teachers) that this day should be full of gratitude to those who served and that we should wish them well - and even happiness.

If I had said "Happy Veterans Day to all except Britain" to me that would have been disrespectful - I just truly wanted to pay my respects to those who serve -- but I will not be made to feel disrespectful [B]ever[B] for wishing someone happiness - even those who are grouchy, grumpy, completely disrespectful of other countries and cultures and nearsited --- Yes --- even to those - I wish happiness!!!

Spike 11-11-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 (Post 71847)
We used to celebrate Armistice Day, a somber day. However, we felt that honoring all of those who have served seemed a bit more appropriate.

How very American of you. I should have expected nothing less. Seeing as you have successfully consumerised Christmas and turned Halloween into an organised teenage Extortion campaign. Why indeed wouldn't you trivialise Armistice day, yes the more I think about it I guess it was inevitable.

Spike 11-11-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Army Mom (Post 71848)
Sorry Spike that you don't get it --- We are not celebrating an "apocolyptic event" or even "Remembrance Day" --- Here in the states we are celebrating "Veterans Day" - or "All Veterans Day" - A day our government declared as a holiday to celebrate those who serve and have served. You should not belittle or suggest disrespect because we were taught (by our parents and teachers) that this day should be full of gratitude to those who served and that we should wish them well - and even happiness.

If I had said "Happy Veterans Day to all except Britain" to me that would have been disrespectful - I just truly wanted to pay my respects to those who serve -- but I will not be made to feel disrespectful [B]ever[B] for wishing someone happiness - even those who are grouchy, grumpy, completely disrespectful of other countries and cultures and nearsited --- Yes --- even to those - I wish happiness!!!

Oh I get that you don't get it dear!

Enjoy your Dorito's and don't over cook those sausages.
:)

Common Sence 11-11-2008 03:27 PM

Wow.

Well, we all agree that it is an important day. Cultural differances.

Hmmm, in Canada, it's referred to as Rememberance day. So, by the term alone it's really not directed to people currently serving. It is, like in the U.K. a day to remember our fallen. It is a day, when if one were to celebrate, it would be seen very negatively. That person would not be appreciated.

Here, we gather at senataphs, churches, veteran halls, have a period of silence and then speak of poppies and the fallen and Flanders Fields. And plenty of trumpet music. You do not laugh, you do not make loud noises....you are sobre, as it is a sobering event being remembered.

Now, the wars did not even reach our soil. Where as Europe and the U.K. were a ruin. SO, I could see where Rememberance day there would be even more somber than in Canada.

You do not wish a person a Happy Day at a funeral. That, I hope would be an example of where wishing a person a happy day, would in fact be offensive. And essentially, that is what Rememberance day is...a funeral that carries from year to year. And to not act accordingly, in this country is vile. It is contentious. And would reduce a person, as a person.

We do not celebrate our dead. We embrace them, and for one day do our best to hold them close to us, and it is always, always a somber event.

Happy Rememberance Day, is a contradiction.

No direspect offered or taken.

New Army Mom 11-11-2008 05:20 PM

It appears that I have truly offended and for that I am sorry. I honestly have nothing but respect for each and every one of you that have served. I'm also very apologetic for attempting to obtain understanding for what I thought was an appropriate post - in doing so I caused more offense. It's just a natural reaction of mine to try to defend when I feel like I've been hit. I cannot help the things that I was taught when I was young --- but I can open up my heart and mind to understanding of others. Once again --- I'm truly sorry for any offense.