Field Report #231, April 2005

Free Tax Preparation Help for Members of the Military
If you or your spouse are a member of the military, you may be eligible to receive free assistance with the preparation and filing of your federal tax return.

TRICARE Healthcare Options
TRICARE is a regionally managed health care program for Active Duty and Retired members of the uniformed services, their families, and survivors.

Test Program to up Army Reserve Enlistment Age
The Army has announced a three-year test program to evaluate raising the reserve-component non-prior-service maximum enlistment age from less than 35 years of age to less than 40 years of age.

New Tax Breaks for Military Personnel and Their Families
Military personnel and their families can benefit from several new tax breaks. The Military Family Tax Relief Act of 2003 allows, among other things, certain benefits and gains to be excluded from income on the federal income tax return. Reporting a lower income reduces the amount of taxes owed.

DoD Announces New Health Care Benefit for Guard and Reserve
A new health care plan, with coverage comparable to that enjoyed by federal employees under the Blue Cross and Blue Shield health insurance plan, will be available to eligible members of the Army National Guard and Reserve and their families April 25.

Federal Law Assists Troops' Dealings With Creditors
Federal law prohibits mortgage lenders from immediately foreclosing on homes owned by servicemembers deployed overseas on military duty, a senior legal officer noted here.

United States Miliatary Academy at West Point
So you want to go to West Point. You should begin to prepare for the USMA at an early age. You need a well-rounded background to successfully compete for admission to West Point, so start early in your high school years. Find out more...

America's Merchants say "Thank You" with Discount Offers to Military Members and Veterans.
Vacation season is here and many U.S. merchants want to show their apprecition to the men and women that serve. Check out the Attraction and Amusement discounts offered to Military and Veterans.

How can I obtain copies of my, or my relative's, U.S. Army personnel records?
Personnel records are maintained for officers who served after 1 July 1917, and enlisted personnel in service after November 1912 and who are no longer in service, by the National Personnel Records Center.

  • U.S. Troops May Start Coming Home
  • Rumsfeld Hints At Fewer Closings
  • Army misses recruiting goal by 27%!
  • Army May Raise Maximum Age For Reserve
  • Buildings going up at Bagram Air Base as U.S. forces dig in for the long haul
  • Ex-Marine Says Public Version of Saddam Capture Fiction
  • Robo-Soldier Ready for Combat Deployment to Iraq for Urban Warfare/CI Ops
  • DOD to add 2,300 special forces troops, general says

  • Posthumous Medals
  • Operation Iraqi Freedom Video
  • Blue To Green
  • Job Pool
  • Should I wait for a Ranger contract if one isn't available?
  • Enlistment Issues (Ch.11 past)
  • Get the Game (America's Army)!
  • Nervousness Is Building