armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 07-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Recruit

Default Question About Ranger School and the option 40 contract

I am looking to join the army. I am going to MEPS on Monday to take my real ASVAB test, (I got an 86 on the test one). I am looking to get an 11X Option 40 Contract, however I have a question. I am in excellent physical condition, but what happens if I were to fail Ranger Training? Would you be allowed to re-take the school? Would you be released from contract? Would you be moved to regular infantry?

Please let me know as I want to have all my ducks in a row before I sign on for 4 years. I also heard that it is possible to only sign on for 2 years? I have only heard of this from one source, and dont believe it to be true, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Private

Smile

Hey, well I don't know how much help I will be for you but I do know that my boyfriend is an army ranger right now and he only signed up for 3 years. I would ask him your questions but I only get to talk to him when he calls about once every other week because he is at Ranger School/leadership training. But just so you know, I think that 3 years is an option.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Recruit

wow thats great. I plan on staying in longer...I just dont want to be contracted for it right off the get go.

If anyone knows anything about my other question Id appreciate help with that also.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

If you drop/fail out of RIP, you'll most likely be sent to the 82nd Airborne, as you will have already passed Abn school. If you drop out of Abn school - look forward to leg land.

If you pass RIP, you'll be sent to one of the three Ranger Bns. You'll spend about a year there, proving yourself - and you can be dropped at any time for failure to preform to standard.

After about a year, you will be sent to Ranger school - you get anywhere from 2 to 3 chances to pass it. Pass it the first time. If you can't, you'll most likely be sent out into big Army. Ranger School is a rite of passage for Rangers. It isn't as focused on now as it was during peace time, because as a Ranger, you'll be deployed most the time in support of OIF/OEF.

There is a three year option with the Opt 40 contract - though, they are few and far between. If you can't get in as an 11X, opt for the 13F Opt. 40 contract. 13F is a good job to have in batt, and many of us that have served in the 75th look back and wish we had taken the 13F MOS.